It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Terrorist Attack, Economic impact?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Given the new threats being sent out all over the U.S.A. and they are saying there is real intel. showing that terrorists plan attacks this summer involving Chemical, Biological and radiological bombs which could come in the form of a car or van bomb in major cities.

I am wondering now.. Many (myself included) are thinking that the goal of these terrorists is to change the outcome of the U.S. elections.. However after some thinking I believe the goal of any possible future massive terror attack would be economic impact.. even more important to them than a high body count.

With a current war, and a stagnant economy what kind of impact would a massive terrorist attack in the U.S.A. have on the economy.

We have all seen what happened to the markets after 9/11/01.

If there is a huge fall on the markets and the impact at the economic level sends a shockwave through the free markets of the world. I have to wonder what the outcome would be.

Can the economy surrvive another 9/11 type attack.. or worse?

Gazz

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I guess it all depends on how massive the attack is. If it is anything larger than the last one, and they have to close all the ports and borders etc. I can see that being a huge problem for economy. The question is, if Bush will still be able to use his "national security" card after the next attack.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
in the news some minutes ago they mentioned that a big hospital in brussels belgium will function as the H.Q. in medical operations if
an attack with biological weapons is happening !
decontamination drills are already executed and hardware is stocked up
to get the first rescuers to the contaminated places.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What type of impact would the "warning" have on our economy. I am inclined to beleive that there will ba many people buying products out of fear, which could help the economy, or at least for the short term.

I can see a spike in products purchased, that normally would be sort of average. Like Duct Tape, Water, Batteries... things like that.

Wouldn't the spike in these purchases benefit our economy at least in the short term?

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
if an attack occurs they will combine this also to attacking electric current and drinkingwaterplants.
-how long can you keep food without cooling / freezing ?
-how long can you stay without proper drinkingwater ?
bottled water will become scarce.

economical impact is already very high and if a new big attack comes the results could be devastating now...but also in the near futur !

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Im very interested what will become of M oney as we know it. I mean we have a lot of faith in just "paper" which holds a promise to give us money in return for it/purchasing power. What happens if the Fed Reserve gets hit? What happens if a Credit Card Company (ie Visa) loses all its information on who owes them what?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is the one thing that amazes me about the Bush Administration and all of the dislike towards him. This meaning the effects 9/11 had on our economy. Bush helped many airline companies stay in the air.

That said, it is without a doubt the worst possible events before and during an administration I have ever heard of. Everyone blames Bush for the horrible economy (until this year). This economy is not the result of Bush.

Stock market crash.
Enron among others.
9/11.
Union walkouts on the east coast costing major manufacturing companies major contracts and on-time deliveries.

The truth is that Bush saw the need for tax cuts, which he gave, so what if the rich got a good deal on it. I work and I noticed more money on my end of the deal. Now, the economy is picking up at a great rate. It is certainly not stagnant as was claimed earlier. People who blame Bush for the economy may not know the actual events surrounding our economy. They might not know that this happens every 6 to 8 years. It is a cycle. The actual amazing thing about it is that Bush is pulling us out of it within his 4 year term. Not all of the jobs are back yet but that is the direction things are heading, any analyst will tell you that.

This is all truth here, so much so that a liberal professor (yes a liberal professor) even admitted this to me. If a liberal professor will admit that it is not Bush's fault then it has to be true.

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by SuperKyle]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Wallstreet. If they want to crash all economical units of the U.S. it would be Manhattan. And i live in N.Y.C!!! I dont want to get killed!! lol

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If we experienced a "major" terrorist attack on US soil it would very quickly undo the fledgling economic recovery we are now experiencing. Now if Wall Street or Chicago Board of Trade were targeted this is not really a problem as they have backup systems now out of the major cities in case these physical locations are wiped out. The real problem would be a big fall in an already jittery stockmarket.

As the US economy is very highly leveraged on already rockbottom interest rates any big attack would be devestating to the US economy and the world economy. We have already seen the price of gold creeping up (the traditional safe haven commodity) and I think the markets are currently pricing in the good possibility of such an attack. Regardless it will not be a pretty picture when everyone is rushing for the exits at once.

Let's hope we never see such an attack. This is the best chance at a recovery the world has seen in a long time and we don't need any disruptions now. Oil prices have cooled the recovery pace off a little already but oil prices hopefully have topped out here.

However the latest FBI warning regarding an impending attack should not be taken lightly. Lets just hope like previous warnings nothing ever comes of it.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
If the attack is so bad it will cause radical changes to our constitution, it may even be destroyed, in which the governmental cycle will start over again for the U.S. We would probably live under a dictatorship or maybe even a communist regime if we don't get our act together.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Its full of 'reptillian alien links' but the overall hint is spooky with all this talk of subs/nukes/and FBI warnings of possible attacks against US / UK targets. etc

exodus2006.com...

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think that they would either hit NYC again or Hollywood.

Hollywood would be a strange but weird place if they hit it. Say a Nuke or dirty bomb. There are so many famous residents who are world-recognized. It would be a huge psychological thing....because so many people could identify with and recognize the victims. They would not have to get many, just a few big ones. And it is the media-entertainment capital, so there would be no shortage of coverage.

The other place I think they would hit would be Vegas. It personifies everything that the extremists hate about the "Great Satan."

Actually, now that I think about it, Vegas makes the most sense.

Any large attack would certainly have a significant economic impact. Because it would show the people that the Goverment is not able to protect it's citizens and interests. People would be frightened of their own shadows if a second 911 style attack were to occur. Especially if it is of an N.B.C. type.

Scary stuff to comtemplate. Let's just hope that nothing like 911 happens again.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst
I think that they would either hit NYC again or Hollywood.

Hollywood would be a strange but weird place if they hit it. Say a Nuke or dirty bomb. There are so many famous residents who are world-recognized. It would be a huge psychological thing....because so many people could identify with and recognize the victims. They would not have to get many, just a few big ones. And it is the media-entertainment capital, so there would be no shortage of coverage.

The other place I think they would hit would be Vegas. It personifies everything that the extremists hate about the "Great Satan."

Actually, now that I think about it, Vegas makes the most sense.

Any large attack would certainly have a significant economic impact. Because it would show the people that the Goverment is not able to protect it's citizens and interests. People would be frightened of their own shadows if a second 911 style attack were to occur. Especially if it is of an N.B.C. type.

Scary stuff to comtemplate. Let's just hope that nothing like 911 happens again.

Well thinking mate, I wonder though... what if Hollywood gets hit? Wouldn't it then be a bigger possibility that the USA government is involved in this? The outcome of this will probably be that people become more feared and turn in their privacy in order to become "safe and secure".

and if Vegas or New York gets hit, and the stock markets crash.. who than really has the money and power in hands if it's gonna be artificial created?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The goal would not so much be to influence an election but to show that they CAN. Jihadists don't favour Kerry over Bush rather they wish to demonstrate to the faithful and infidel alike that their God is the true one, and that all the wealth and firepower in the world is useless in the face of divine truth.

They don't seek appeasement because there can be no appeasement with the infidel, only death.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I honestly can't believe that anyone with a logical and thinking brain would look at our present economy and think it would crash simply because of another terrorist attack.

What is threatening our economy the most is out of control spending, massive consumer, government: local, state and federal debt. We are living in a house of cards that is shaking worse than the daily seismograph at Mary's Lake, Yellowstone National Park.

Our current fiscal irresponsibility will be what causes our system to crash; when it does...and it's not a question of if...but when...we'll be watching the whole world crackle all around us. We are already bankrupt financially, but no one wants to admit it. Spending is out of control.

To see this happen during a Republican administration is the height of absurdity. They call themselves CONSERVATIVES. But it doesn't take a high IQ to see that they are not conservative when it comes to spending other peoples money....the taxpayers.

The balloon is about to burst no matter how much cash the Federal Reserve floods into the markets. This recklessness cannot be maintained.

If we get thru the months of June and July without the stock market crashing it will be a miracle. We can't blame that on the likes of Atta or Bin Ladin.

Everyone in America needs to read Sen Tim Ferguson's report. I'll try to find the link and post it here.

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by radstar]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Here's the link Radstar:

"The Ferguson Report......
.....is published by former Maryland Senator Tim Ferguson, who served from 1995 thru 2003 as a fairly conservative Republican representing Frederick & Carroll counties. Views expressed reflect Constitutional precepts - not partisan rhetoric.----Those who hold the reigns of power benefit from public scrutiny whether they are Democrat, Republican, Independent, Liberal, Conservative or Moderate."

fergusonreport.myonlinepublication.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
[edit on 13-6-2004 by Mspc]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Are we told the truth about terrorists ? Isn�t the high oil price due to speculations, not because of attacks? Why do people call Ben Ladden a Wahabi (Wabbit) when Waabism is only �being a Muslim Saudi Arabian�? Is it a racist hoax just like saying �Jew�? Who control the oil in Saudi Arabia (1/4 of the world oil) and Iraq now? Who did nothing to stop the 9/11 when France told America 1 month before that an attack was prepared on NY? Why do those terrorists kill more Arabs and journalists than westerners? Why do they do everything to be hate by Arabs and the whole world, like saying stupid things as in the Nick Berg beheaded text (who killed him and where, Abu Ghraib?)? Why did France told Italy and America to stop hoaxes about phone earring of some terrorists, and Italy told the same to some secret agents and journalists?
In the end they gonna create real terrorists with normal Muslims!! Whose war is that and for witch oil lobby? Ho yes, the one of Ben Ladden from witch he was ejected in 1991, the Bush one, the bigger on earth!! Where are Ben Ladden, Zarkaoui� Dead?
Know that� you will understand we are not told the truth about a lot of things that make people wonder so much.
Understand why America is no more a democracy in many minds. Is Bush Roman, I don�t think so� He is a master of oil, we are the puppets to hate others. That�s all. 95% of westerners are against that war of shame, destruction, violence, abuses, no religion, no human right, death and terrorism creation.

We may be hoax about economic impacts and terrorist attacks.

A french that can�t write English so well.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well I heard OBL was in Crawford Texas eating hush puppies and Bar-B-Que
with GHB his old mentor
Further more a major attack if allowed ounce again. Would have a devastating effect on our economy way of life and freedoms. These are very educated terrorists on a mission from God. They are as dangerous as the Blues Brothers.

Long Beach or Seattle container ports would be fantastic targets to cripple our economy. As well as any easy target nuclear power plant, especially around the Mexican border, say Arizona. Sears Tower, the refineries in Jersey or Houston. America is a target rich environment for this type of enemy. It will happen, any predictions as to when or where. Halloween a good pagan holiday seems possible to me.

Good Luck and God Bless,

Tututkamen

top topics

join