It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Shaky" Start For 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
We are 13 Days into the New Year and already the Earth has started to warn us, possibly that something major will occur,

so far this year there have been at least 21 Earthquakes with a Magnitude of 5.0 or more
not to mention the 6.5 in california and the 7.0 that rocked Haiti, with numerous aftershocks in the 4.0+ range. at the end of 2009, earthquakes happened in places where they do not usually happen, for instance southeastern Nebraska Experienced a 4.4 quake, followed by a meteroite exploding, close to where the epicenter of the quake was, within a few minutes of the quake.

Magnitude 7.0 HAITI REGION January 12, 2010
Magnitude 6.5 OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA January 10, 2010
Magnitude 4.1 SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA January 07, 2010
Magnitude 6.8 SOLOMON ISLANDS January 05, 2010
Magnitude 7.2 SOLOMON ISLANDS January 03, 2010
Magnitude 6.6 SOLOMON ISLANDS January 03, 2010
Magnitude 5.8 BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO December 30, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There can be no denying that the Earth is Becoming more active, Not to mention the continuous active sunspots that have been occuring of late including this massive one, sunspot 1040

spaceweather.com posts:

Sunspot 1040 is still growing. During the past two days it has doubled in size--and then doubled again--to produce an active region with more than 25 dark cores and a tangled magnetic field.
Sunspot 1040 is a member of new Solar Cycle 24, and its appearance continues a recent trend of intensifying solar activity. NOAA forecasters say there is a 15% chance of an isolated M-class solar flare during the next 24 hours

The Universe seems to be getting active after staying pretty quiet for a time, all we can do is wait and see

[edit on 1/13/2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
i hope the First 13 days of the year dont point out to what the rest of the year is going to be like.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I think there is something going on. I just feel it. I think I will trust my 6th sense on this one.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Is there a history of how frequent mother earth rumbles anywhere? I'd like to see if there is an obvious rise in quakes compared to generations past and this isn't just panic over nothing.

Sorry if its already been asked before and I'm sure it has, but it seams like every time I go into an earthquake thread somebody always mentions "could this be the beginning of something big?". I've been reading the same thing for a long time now and Yellow Stone is still sleeping.

Its nice to be cautious and aware, but from my point of view it looks more like speculation with no evidence of increasing quakes.

Sorry if this horse has been beat to death and then some, if so please forgive my ignorance!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
i think this year will definantly be very active, from the sun exploding with sun spots and coronal holes, to major earthquakes and so forth, i think it will be a very interesting year

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well, according to some melting of the polar ice caps could cause earthquakes

www.climatedebatedaily.org...

Please read with an open mind whatever your feelings about global warming. It's undeniable the ice caps are melting, and the past few weeks have seen particularly anomalous weather patterns with higher than usual temperatures at the poles and lower than usual temperatures in the rest of the Northern hemisphere.

The science suggests that as redistribution of the Earth’s mass induced by global warming disturbs the relative equilibrium of its crust, monumental forces in the form of increasing earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic activity could be unleashed. And the forecasts from some quarters are dramatic - - not only will the earth shake, it will spit fire

These sources only talk about unrest in the polar regions, but I wonder if sudden changes in sea temperatures and ice thickness could result in seismic unrest all over the globe.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by quakewatcher]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher
Well, according to some melting of the polar ice caps could cause earthquakes

www.climatedebatedaily.org...

Please read with an open mind whatever your feelings about global warming. It's undeniable the ice caps are melting, and the past few weeks have seen particularly anomalous weather patterns with higher than usual temperatures at the poles and lower than usual temperatures in the rest of the Northern hemisphere.

The science suggests that as redistribution of the Earth’s mass induced by global warming disturbs the relative equilibrium of its crust, monumental forces in the form of increasing earthquakes, tsunamis and
volcanic activity could be unleashed. And the forecasts from some quarters are dramatic - - not only will the earth shake, it will spit fire

These sources only talk about unrest in the polar regions, but I wonder if sudden changes in sea temperatures and ice thickness could result in seismic unrest all over the globe.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by quakewatcher]

thats an interesting theory but i dont see how the melting of water can make the earths crust move, huh
kewl

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't agree. The weight of the water is exactly the same if it is solid or liquid. The only difference is that ice is less dense.

Melting ice is actually a good thing - it will actually lower sea levels as it will shrink as it melts.

Another interesting fact: water is the only substance that expands when it freezes.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Not a change in mass, but a redistribution of it.

Since 1998, scientists have been trying to explain a change in gravity at the equator. Some suspect it is due to changes in ocean currents.

www.csr.utexas.edu...

www.gsfc.nasa.gov...

I'm not sure what the result of the later missions were, however. I'll try to find some information.

...mass must have been redistributed within the oceans. That's where the ocean circulation theory comes in. Ocean currents can redistribute mass quickly, such as the 5-year time frame that these changes were first observed. The TOPEX/POSEIDON observations of sea level height do show an increase in the equatorial bulge of the oceans corresponding to the observed gravity changes, but the data are not yet conclusive. One critical factor is the temperature of the world's oceans, and its salinity, for which detailed data are not yet available.

hmmm... reading more these same missions have shown a slowdown in the North Atlantic Current, which can result over time in the type of weather we've seen this winter.

www.nasa.gov...

...and if it were the cause of the current weather pattern there'd be a pretty substantial change in ocean currents.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by quakewatcher]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
5.6 venezuela........ what is mother earht doing to us ?

new topics

top topics

join