It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darvaza Hole: "The Door to Hell"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+74 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I thought it would be a good idea to remind everybody how fragile the earth is, and how actions taken and performed by humans can have consequences that can last for a long time.

Case Study: "Door to Hell": Darvaza, Turkmenistan

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bc8cd42233c.gif[/atsimg]

In Darvaza, Turkmenistan, there is a crater 100 meters wide and 20 meters deep. The hole appears to be "on fire", and has had this appearance for the last 40 years.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aae183f18b98.jpg[/atsimg]

In 1971, soviet geologists were drilling in this region, known to be rich in natural gas. One of their drilling rigs was built atop a cavern filled with natural gas that collapsed; forming the hole.

There was an immense amount of methane gas being released, so the soviet's thought that by setting it ablaze, they would be able to burn up the gas and continue drilling.

They set it on fire, assuming that it would burn up within a few days.

It has been burning ever since, to this day, and has been a popular tourist spot for people looking to observe the phenomena for themselves.

Observers are only able to stand close to the hole for a few minutes; due to the unbearable heat of the fires.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b0c37ae11bd.jpg[/atsimg]

Scientists are fascinated by this phenomena, and actually have no idea how long this hole will keep burning.

I myself find this a fascinating phenomena, and a great example of how actions that seem like a good idea at the time can have very long term consequences. The soviets had money on their minds, and did what seemed to be the easiest and most profitable approach to fix a problem.

Even though this burning hole isn't a serious environmental threat, it stands as a reminder to the unknown consequences that can result for careless manipulation and actions taken by humans.

[edit on 12/1/1010 by Monts]

[edit on 12/1/1010 by Monts]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Great post, star and flag.
That is a great stroy, cool find. I love these kinds of things.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Heres another screw up due to human error. People do things that they have no idea about the outcome. We are doing this everyday. One day we will really get "bit" by the perverbial snake in the grass.

Centralia

MessOnTheFED!

[edit on 12-1-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Good post. Star and flag.
I think I would be afraid to go visit it. Knowing my luck the walls would collapse further. Still, interesting pic..

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28
Great post, star and flag.
That is a great stroy, cool find. I love these kinds of things.

cosign

+33 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Too bad they couldn't harness the lost heat energy and produce electricity with some turbines. If the heat is that intense then it would seem academic to set up steam run turbines to produce electricity. That way they could turn a tragedy into an advantage.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I remember seeing this somewhere it's pretty amazing...is it an endless supply of gas or something?

Have they tried dropping lots of water to douse it?

or just for kicks make it bigger?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
I remember seeing this somewhere it's pretty amazing...is it an endless supply of gas or something?

Have they tried dropping lots of water to douse it?

or just for kicks make it bigger?

Unfortunately natural gas fires can't be put out with water... and it would be very impractical and expensive to attempt to put this one out.

Making it bigger though would be quite the spectacle

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Looks like that community did get bit by that perverbial snake...

Another great example!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Smooth move by the Russians. Have they even tried to put it out? Douse itwith nitrogen maybe?

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Maybe the burning of fossil fuel is adding to the global CO2 emissions.

This hole should get a carbon tax.

Great find!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

I think it would be a VERY neat place to visit. Imagine all that coal. 250 years worth. just burning.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Haha, carbon tax...that would fit the M.O. though. Charging a third world country an exorbitant amount of money on something over which they have no control. That was great!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
What an elegant solution! Set the hole on fire! Awesome!

Really its a metaphor of what we are doing to the whole planet.

Lets set the Earth on fire and see how long it will burn!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Throw a large amount of dynamite into the fires, cuts the oxygen long enough to possibly put out them out. Same way they put out burning oil fountains in the Gulf war. It would be hard though, that hole is pretty big...

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Man1fesT]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Oh for pity's sake just turn the dial to off and blow off the pilot light!

If you are still having a problem just call the Gas Company and have them terminate the account and shut off the valve!

People are so incredibly helpless!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hell is only below, are you afraid of it? If I was to make every post count, I would hope to deny gnorance. Are you denying ignorance? All I want to do is sleep how about you?

SVE

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Lets not go blaming global warming on russia now

but in all seriousness what could the long-term effects of this burning hole do to the earth as well as the atmosphere? any guesses?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Good to know that they set it alight. Burned gas is far less a atmospheric polutant than escaping methane.

I fantastic opportunity for engineers to try to harvest the heat and turn into energy.

good find

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by Monts

I think it would be a VERY neat place to visit. Imagine all that coal. 250 years worth. just burning.

MessOnTheFED!

Actually Centralia is extraordinarily depressing. I grew up about 30 miles from there. When I was a kid you could get closer to the town than you can now, and the few buildings that remain, the cracked streets and sidewalks, and the neglected cemetery are just so sad. It stinks to high heaven too. They used footage of Centralia in the History Channel show "Life After People" as a real-life example of how fast the things people make can be gone.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join