It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darvaza Hole: "The Door to Hell"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Nice post....it kind of reminds me of the Centralia fire in Pennsylvania, which was started in an old town rubbish dump in the 60's, and has been burning every since...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

The post was about the link that i provided. Not the OPs topic. You should go back to my first post and look at it. The Centralia fire was a huge mistake due to human error.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulholio

Alredy covered that in the third post of the first page. You should really read the entire thread befor you post.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paulholio
Nice post....it kind of reminds me of the Centralia fire in Pennsylvania, which was started in an old town rubbish dump in the 60's, and has been burning every since...

en.wikipedia.org...

Im suprised they didnt use that at a natural furnace and just start dumping garbage in it let it get incinerated, save it piling up elsewhere.
though just seen a video of the hole on youtuve, and dont look as hot as i thought, it looked like it was just full of lava. but its not. but i dont understand why they dont just cap it off, or maybe its of no harm, all the gas vapror burnt off instead of leaking to atmos it more damaging than the little smoke i would of thought it would produce, its not like a crude oil fire when they set light to pipeline in iraq.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I just love posts like this, I had no idea of this place and neither did I know of Centralia. Thanks for bringing this to my attention
. Things like this makes me realize I do not have to keep my eyes on the sky to see something interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Maybe the burning of fossil fuel is adding to the global CO2 emissions.
This hole should get a carbon tax.

That is, of course, after you realise that methane is much worse for the atmosphere. And after you realise that, in light of compelling evidence, that the whole idea is bull#.

And I agree that humans are bastards. It's all we think about now, isn't it? Profit margins and what have you. Nicely illustrated in that metaphor-based film Avatar...

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Why not just fill that crater up with PKP to smother the fire and toxic gases?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join