It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DMV edict: Workers must work "Furlough Fridays" -- for free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Situations like this are going to not only escalate in the State of California, but in other emerging bankrupt states like Illinois, Wisconsin and New York. It's a matter of when, not if.

SACRAMENTO, CA - There's a lot of grumbling among employees around the headquarters for the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

For almost a year, they've had Fridays off as part of a plan to save money for financially strapped California.

But the days off have also created a mess -- a huge backlog of DMV records, drivers licenses and identification cards.

On Dec. 28, workers who handle crash reports, financial responsibility records, drivers licenses and ID cards received a new edict. Under the new order, the DMV said that due to the backlog of work and lack of volunteers for Saturday overtime, "management has no recourse but to implement Self-Directed Furlough Fridays."

The statement added those workers "will be required to work each Friday until advised otherwise."

Workers will now work every Friday, including Furlough Fridays, and accrue furlough time. Officials explained they'll still be docked three days a month, but they will take furlough days at a later date.
www.news10.net...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I hate the DMV. I absolutely DESPISE the DMV. WHY do I have to have the GOVERNMENTS permission to drive my car? WHY do I have to pay a FEE to drive my car? WHY do I have to be registered with the Government just to make it easier for them to TICKET me. Add tickets, fees, and the time lost waiting in lines at the DMV where the workers of subpar intelligence deem it their life long goal to piss people off with their amazing stupidity and I would say it's a damn nice way to tax the hell out of people.

As long as I am not driving like a nutcase doing 60 in a 35 putting other people at risk, the GOVERNMENT should have no right to infringe on my ability to drive.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Actually like your license you car is a luxury.. Hell actually come to think of it.. You life is a luxury..

Go check the title of your car(this means you lease your car even if fully paid off) and then go look at your birth certificate.. NOTICE THE NAME IN BIG LETTERS KINDA LIKE THE TITLE OF YOUR CAR? That means you are someone property.

I just thought I would throw this in here..

Also i bet these DMV people are going to get alot more crappier.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
So, word to the wise...

Do not go the DMV on "Furlough Fridays". Unless you really like standing in line.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Welcome to the reall world DMV workers. I can;t tell you how many salaried jobs I;ve had where I have had to work late nights and weekends without any extra pay. Government workers have by far the best pay and benefits. If they don;t want their jobs I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to do ANYTHING to get a regular paycheck again. Not that it's fair to these workers but the rest of the world seems to work this way.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The DMV does suck BIG time* Here in CT, soutwhest CT, its normal for once a year, an employee with get caught giving out liscenses for money* It was in local paer few months ago, a recent arrest. The state of CT sends in secret people dressed like yuo and me and tries to make a deal with a potential arrest, or waits for an employee to offer a liscense for money* sad isnt it???

top topics

join