It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Islam? Don't Ask Google

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

What's Islam? Don't Ask Google

www.foxnews.com

Google's search engine returns common results to most queries as you type. But the "don't be evil" company appears to be censoring its results when it comes to Islam.

A Google spokesman explained that the weird absence of results is just a software problem: "This is in fact a bug and we're working to fix it as quickly as we can." But the company would not respond to requests for clarification
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
highly strange this one. Why would google want to sensor what is shown about Islam?

Like the article says, you type in any other religion and boom, you get a whole heap of stuff coming up, but nothing for islam!!

i just tried it and it's true. Try typing in "Christianity is" then see the results come in, but type in "islam is" and nothing!!! All other religions have results apart from Islam!!

what do you all think of this?

www.foxnews.com

[edit on 8-1-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Here's another part of the Article that is highly strange -

Google offers search suggestions for future tense queries as well. Ask "Christianity will" and Google suggests "Christianity will end, it will disappear," and "Christianity will end." Ask the same about Islam and Google notes that "Islam will dominate the world" and "Islam will destroy Europe

what the ....??? Talk about a conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

It is odd that that happens. Especially the 'is' things.
Probably is just a bug. Google's huge. It must get problems sometimes!

Right: Now I've read the article AND tried it.

And I'm inclined to say glitch?

But maybe they are censoring it because people are all nasty about Islamity at the minute because of individuals within the religion. But there'll always be bad things said about religion, even though it isn't the religion itself, it's certain people inside of it that go wrong.

Who knows?
If you type in 'Islam will' there are some of the same negative results that you get with the other religions along with the taking over the world stuff. It's not all just that. So, you know. I don't really think it's a conspiricy...
It's just showing what people are searching/talking about on the net. Which is usually rubbish.

Sorry for needing so many edits. Hopefully my point is clearer now!

[edit on 8/1/2010 by Ayana]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm curious to see how Google tries to explain away this event. They've done so in the past (kinda) with top searches when you type in phrases like "why is there" and "why can't". Well Google, we're waiting.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
i just tried it and it's true. Try typing in "Christianity is" then see the results come in, but type in "islam is" and nothing!!! All other religions have results apart from Islam!!

what do you all think of this?

www.foxnews.com

Google, the new Magic 8 Ball for the 21st Century?

Or just an updated way to play Mad Libs?

I just have to shake my head in disbelief at such Trash Journalism. I see better reports from amateur bloggers on MySpace and Facebook!

E-gads!

Put a noun and a verb together in Google and you are going to get rankings based on a various set of SEO criteria that may or not pertain to your search. Also typing in a noun and a verb like "Christianity is" rather than "Christianity+is" is going to result in dramatically different results. It's not a conspiracy and it's not Google. It is simply drawing illogical conclusions from a lack of understanding how to use Boolean Operators to get the most relevant results from an Algorithmically Indexed Search Engine while attributing it to intentional human intent. To draw such conclusions is divination...drawing irrational conclusions from anything, like tea-leaves or the flight-patterns of flocks of birds, or the casting of stones. The results in Google are not humanly input. Google is a Web Search ENGINE not a Web Directory. The difference being is that the Result Set of the former is provided mathematically by an Algorithm in response to the Boolean Operators used, while the later is determined by direct human editing.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Fair enough, but if you take out the "is", look at all the positive searches there are for Islam. Why is that? Or, type in Muslim. What do you get?

[edit on 8-1-2010 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

There are some negative ones too.
The typing 'Islam will' thing shows that.

And if you just type 'Christianity' there is only one bad result. Islam there are none. Judaism none...

I could go on...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Please contribute to the previous thread on the topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join