It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aboriginal folklore leads to meteorite crater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Aboriginal folklore leads to meteorite crater

www.cosmosmagazine.com

SYDNEY: An Australian Aboriginal 'Dreaming' story has helped experts uncover a meteorite impact crater in the outback of the Northern Territory.

Duane Hamacher, an astrophysicist studying Aboriginal astronomy at Sydney's Macquarie University, used Google Maps to search for the signs of impact craters in areas related to Aboriginal stories of stars or stones falling from the sky....

Despite the link to the Dreaming story, weathering and the absence of meteorite fragments suggest that the crater is millions of years old and humans could not possibly have witnessed the event, Hamacher sa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think this is an amazingly interesting story because there are only so many possible ways that the aboriginal peoples could have known about multiple millions of years old craters. I do not think they recognized the impact crater 140 million years later and then made up a story about it and about having witnessed it. It could happen, I guess, but I just think that's a lazy way of thinking that doesn't take address the question of how long the aboriginal peoples, and their ancestors, have been on this planet.

I'm not sure if this has been submitted before (I searched, found nothing), and I'm not sure if this is in the right section. This is my first thread...forgive me my mistakes!

www.cosmosmagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hmm, if they 'witnessed ' it millions of years ago, we do have a problem, Houston.

Intresting non the less..

[edit on 8/1/2010 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Pretty cool. I don't know anything about the aborigines but i think it's more likely that they have witnessed meteor impacts, then made the connection to the newly discovered crater, just as the article suggests.

Cool Anyways!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Wow, this is pretty cool.

If they did witness it... Then a lot of what we know changes.

If they just put 2 + 2 together, which is probably more likely it's still pretty cool innit.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Wikipedia has a page, redirected from dreaming story.
en.wikipedia.org...(spirituality)
Click the dreaming spirituality link^^ my paste didn't work.

I think it means an astral travel to that particular event, and ownership rights of that dream given to that person experiencing it.
We apparently have no English word for their dreaming stories.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by ThinkLogic]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It's true that if there were Dreamtime witnesses to the meteorite's collision there is a problem with what we (we meaning traditional western folk, a group which clearly does not describe everyone here at ATS) see as reality; we would have to allow for the existence of the aboriginal dreamtime. Time does not exist in the dreamtime the way that it does in the "world" we are most familiar with. It wouldn't indicate that people had been around millions of years ago, only that through dreamtime millions of years ago could be viewable.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Dreamtime witnesses to the meteorite's collision.

= Walkabout in time.???????(time travel)

[edit on 8-1-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Perhaps your about to find out that given time and within this spectrum nothing is impossible , if you think the creater is a stange phonomina, and an impossibility then try this ancient linkage that preceeds Egypt and Mayan never before disclosed until now on this post, further more its connected directly to the Rainbow serpants
The site some 30 miles south of Cooktown at the base of Cape york and North of Cairns Queensland Australia the site discovered in 2005 by your truly, sequested within a huge mase of boulders known as Blackmountian NP
and given it presise possition can be fully viewed by all
Two large sections of 4 mt thick solid granite hexaginal collums now lying down, along side this 3 large flag stones at 10 mt high with large figures carved upon there faces, but the crowning glory the huge solid granite mask 25 long 12 high the mask looking skywards being the dipiction of Horus the (ra) god
Take a deep breath Ladies and gentalmen as we are about to change the understood history of the world

bulla

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by bulla
Perhaps your about to find out that given time and within this spectrum nothing is impossible , if you think the creater is a stange phonomina, and an impossibility then try this ancient linkage that preceeds Egypt and Mayan never before disclosed until now on this post, further more its connected directly to the Rainbow serpants
The site some 30 miles south of Cooktown at the base of Cape york and North of Cairns Queensland Australia the site discovered in 2005 by your truly, sequested within a huge mase of boulders known as Blackmountian NP
and given it presise possition can be fully viewed by all
Two large sections of 4 mt thick solid granite hexaginal collums now lying down, along side this 3 large flag stones at 10 mt high with large figures carved upon there faces, but the crowning glory the huge solid granite mask 25 long 12 high the mask looking skywards being the dipiction of Horus the (ra) god
Take a deep breath Ladies and gentalmen as we are about to change the understood history of the world

bulla

Before we can even discuss the validity of your find on Black Mountain, you are going to have to post your pictures.

Are you suggesting that there was some sort of Egyptian temple under Black Mountain?

What are the large figures that are carved there?

This is my frustration with your posts. You throw out a wild amazing "find" and offer no evidence to back it up. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but as you get to understand ATS you can't go around making these kinds of claims without some sort of evidence to back it up.

I look forward to more discussion.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

There was a thread here over a year ago about a member who wanted to mount an expedition into the depths of Black mountain.I said i would go with him ,but it never eventuatedwww.abovetopsecret.com... .Anyway this black mountain has a bit of a mystery about it,you can read more herewww.castleofspirits.com...

top topics

join