It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chemical Fire Forces Residents East of Atlanta to Evacuate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
A large fire broke out early this morning at chemical warehouse, east of Atlanta, Georgia. Several explosions and plumes of green smoke caused residents to voluntarily evacuate their homes. However the raging chemical fire forced officials to order a mandatory evacuation of the Covington Municipal airport and residential areas nearby. There were no reported injuries and the cause of the fire is unknown.

Large Fire Breaks Out at Chemical Warehouse East of Atlanta, Forcing Residents to Evacuate
The fire in the warehouse owned by Biolab, which makes chemicals for pools and cleaning products, was reported about 5 a.m. in this east Atlanta suburb of 10,000.
By 8 a.m., sheriff's dept. spokeswoman Jodi Shupe said she could not estimate how many people had been forced to leave.
Multiple explosions could be seen and heard as the fire spread through the warehouse.
It was not immediately clear how the fire started or what chemicals were burning, although authorities said chlorine was one of the chemicals involved.
The state Department of Transportation closed parts of Interstate 20 and all roads leading into the area, as fire crews battled the blaze. The Covington Municipal Airport, about 10 miles from Conyers, also was evacuated at around 7:30 a.m.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[Edited on 5-25-2004 by worldwatcher]

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Supposedly, this is a pool chemical plant. They are asking all residents in the area to shut off their air conditioners and close their windows to keep out the fumes. This could lead to a lot of lawsuits down the road. Bring on the deformed children.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I stay in the Conyers area.....we've been ordered to shut our windows, and not use the air conditioner. Bring all pets inside. It's crazy! It looked like a small atomic bomb mushroom cloud earlier. I work in the healthcare industry and we've been told we're on a Code D alert. And we can't leave the facility.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Is not the first time some members do that Ocelot.....
I think it was a great catch by Worldwatcher. Well done.

BTW, has anyone noticed how many fires have happened in chemical factories and oil refineries lately?

Here is a list of oil refinery fires from Steve Quayle's website. BTW Steve Quayle and Doug Hagmann will be tonight on Coast to Coast, listen to it if you can. They always have the latest info on terrorism and other topics.

Oil Refinery Fires - 2004

May 24
Pipeline Fire - Olympic, WA
May 14
Murphy Oil Refinery - Chalmette, LA
April 9
Giant Industries Refinery - Gallup, NM
April 1
Exxon Mobil Chemical Plant - Baytown TX
March 30
Texas City Refinery, BP - Texas City, TX
March 27
Fire Flint Hills Resources - Rosemount, MN
March 23
Tulsa Refinery, Sunoco - Tulsa, OK
March 9
Marathon Ashland Petroleum - Garyville, LA
February 20
Tesoro Refinery - Martinez, CA
February 1
ConocoPhillips Wood River Refinery - Roxana, IL

Excerpts taken from.
www.stevequayle.com...

He also has a worldwide power outages list posted in his website.

Worldwide Power Outages

Louisiana Power Plant � May 12
Seattle � May 12
Ohio � May 12
Northumberland CountyOhio � May 12
Niagara Falls, NY � May 11-12
Albany, Georgia � May 10
Southern Philippines � May 10
North Carolina � May 9
Davis and Weber counties, Georgia � May 2
Utah � April 30
Los Angeles International Airport � April 21
Los Angeles International Airport � April 20
Los Angeles International Airport � April 12
Las Vegas Strip Hotel � April 11
New York subway � March 1
Central London � February 16

Excerpt taken from above link.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
BTW, has anyone noticed how many fires have happened in chemical factories and oil refineries lately?

Yeah Ive noticed that too. Its just very strange how many fires have been reported. Makes you wonder if there's something else going on here than just "accidents".

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13thApostle
I stay in the Conyers area.....we've been ordered to shut our windows, and not use the air conditioner. Bring all pets inside. It's crazy! It looked like a small atomic bomb mushroom cloud earlier. I work in the healthcare industry and we've been told we're on a Code D alert. And we can't leave the facility.

Are you west of the plant fire there in Georgia? I would have guessed that'd be the direction of the smoke since Alabama sucks.

Sorry. ROLL TIDE!

MTZ

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
what is a "code D alert" ? Also how would this compare to a "nuclear attack"? just curious..... is code A worse or code F?etc....thnx

i see no rhyme or reason to the power outtages and the fires, just a lot of 2's and 1's...

i would say that these things happen quite more often than you'd think. just more publicized now, due to terrorism.

but of course nothing should be overlooked.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This fire is still burning at 6:30 EST, heres a weather service satallite photo that may interest you, its been reported on local radio that people can smell chlorine up to 70 miles away. The plume is quite visible in the link below.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MTZ
what is a "code D alert"?

Used in hospitals and the like to prepare for certain situations.

Code D = external emergency
Code Yellow = severe storm warning
Code Orange = civil disturbance
Code Red = fire in the hospital, or other major internal emergency
Code A = help needed in restraining a violent patient
Code Adam = missing child or infant
Code 99 = cardiac arrest

There are a bunch of others, some change depending on the hospital.
In this case, a Code D is so the local hospitals can prepare for a potential influx of patients due to the chemical fire.

-B.

top topics

join