It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to learn about hypnosis and auto-suggestion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hi everybody

As the title says - I want to learn more about hypnosis and auto-suggestion and wanted to borrow the meta-brain of ATS to help me.

For starters I know a little about NLP, the work of Milton Erickson and other skilled hypnosis practitioners - you tube Patrick Coleman hypnosis for some cool videos - but I just want to get my greedy little hands on the good stuff...

It seems to me that hypnosis is generally directing someone's attention inwards to a form of guided auto-suggestion but I am not an expert and any help would be welcomed

Power and Equality

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yyyyyyyyyy
but I just want to get my greedy little hands on the good stuff...

Your first and only lesson from me is to watch how you say things. That statement right there gives me cause to question your motivations and as such disinclines me to even consider helping you out. As well, some people can hide their motivations through slick use of terms and body posturing but if they don't follow through with mutual and benefitial interaction then things don't always go according to plan.

While we all manipulate people to an extent, I think that nefarious use of these knowledges to be suspect. It's all about intent...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Before you go around trying to play Jedi mind games with unsuspecting people you should really stop and learn about the extreme harm that you may cause to yourself and others if entering this field with selfish motives. Secondly, I've heard rumors that a sure-fire way to educate ones-self on a given subject is to read a damn book.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

If you fanvy having a go at playing Jedi mind games IMHO there can be no better start than Derren Brown watch and learn

[edit on 5-1-2010 by moocowman]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Say what!!!

People with evil intentions see evil intentions, I want to know hypnotism because hypnotism is the guided process of auto-suggestion and life is full of pain both mental and of the body - but through my research its possible to turn off pain receptors.

As to your criticism its far out of place, if you react cynically to everything then you are lost. Go figure, should I report you for abuse, or chalk it down to 'a stressful day' or should I switch of the techniques of Milton Erickson that I have just used and not educate people in spiritual develeopment

Power and Equality

PS www.youtube.com... maybe you need to access a level of deep relaxation

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Thanks for replying, of course I've seen Derren Brown, he is only Channel 4 in the UK, the one on the underground when he say's 'try to remember - the spot - that you want - which stop - ?' is awesome.

I don't want to do showy public stuff like that - mainly I want to help my family

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Further:

Results 1 - 10 of about 9,130,000 for hypnosis on google and I said I wanted to use the meta-brain of ATS - instead I get cats trying to measure my steez. I just wanted to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak - but it shows you care

PS,

It's true, maybe I don't know how to communicate that well

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Again with the negativity, wow, did I pick a bad day - I've rinsed out local libraries, bookshops, magazines, web sites, written letters, practicised only on myself - checked videos - I name checked Milton Erickson - what you think, I said his name without reading his books?!?

I just wanted advice and I get sarcasm and poeple who don't comprehend, its enough to make you go mmmmmmad

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yyyyyyyyyy

Apologies, Hypnosis, simply put, is using the subconcious mind's natural function to accept commands from the conscious mind, the concious mind, being a buffer between external commands and stimuli and the subconcious. There are many tried and trusted methods to induce states that allow the operator to enter commands directly into the subconcious. There are also many little tricks of the trade. Using passive induction techniches, where you would slip a subject into a suggestible state without their knowledge is far more delicate than resting someone on a couch and having them relax till they hit delta waves. Watch Derren Brown again and notice his little tricks, where he has someone check the time, or bring a chair, or hand him a coat, or any other trivial command, this is all part of his particular induction techniches, where he lulls the concious mind to boredom by having the subject associate him with following commands. When he sees they are preforming his mundane commands near auotmatically he moves in for the kill using the "arm pull" induction, or others. Theres more but, reading a book is better.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Originally posted by yyyyyyyyyy
but I just want to get my greedy little hands on the good stuff...

Your first and only lesson from me is to watch how you say things.

This is a great thread. MemoryShock answered your question right there

If you read it as instruction, then no insult or negativity.

The repsonses all are telling and instructive.

Even though "gready little hands" conotes perhaps eagarness. What do you think the subconcious will denote from that?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by catlantis

From the Buddah - all desire is greed,

so I learn that wanting information is greed and ego on my part. I am honest in the way I express myself - my mistake seems to be in using the word greedy, and now that I have thought about it I should have lied my ass off to please everybody and deceive because that is the world and how people are conditioned to act.

I am really happy for the replies but you have all missed the point, I am not any closer to getting my (lovely wonderful happy feeling) hands on info that will help. I have learned some valuable lessons through auto-suggestion and self-hypnosis and irony of all - ATS has those bad adverts for hypnosis companies on their banners - all the stuff I don't want to do.

In conclusion, the thing I have understood the most is how hypnosis is completely misunderstood and feared by most

Peace Out

And the key to anyone interested is to really think, use your SMASHING SCOPE to help, really think of situations when you have been relaxed in your life from your own experiences, its no use someone telling you to relax, without effort its impossible but I think its like riding a bike, someone can teach you but you have to ride it yourself - -therefore traditional hypnosis is an illusion, you can only hypnotize yourself it just appears to not be that way, and that you explain people that are 'resistant' to hypnosis.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Great post "where he lulls the concious mind to boredom by having the subject associate him with following commands" is very accurate, its all about subtle changes in mental state especailly that being properly relaxed and comfortable - which is hard for me cause my brain is pretty scatty because of that which cannot be named on ATS lol.

I've read the books that I have including the Derren Brown book, but nothing has yet provided me that answers I seem to be seeking, but I am going to visit a hypnotherapist soon to try to learn more so I can help others in pain.

Power and Equality

PS hypnosis and television, wow the connection is totally there, for another thread perhaps.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Hi yyyyyyyyyy,

"There is always money in the banana stand"
Have you seen arrested development? Yes? No?
How about Hogan's Heroes? There was an episode where they went to rescue some people from prison. They demanded from the the German Guard: "Tell us which room the prisoner is in!". The guard answered "Nine". And they took it to mean "Nein". And a comedic argument ensued.

Honestly, I could care less of you personal motives regarding hypnotism.
You say you have read of Erikson. How do you account for him rambling off a seemingly unrelated story to a patient which in by the end had a healing result?

"watch how you say things".
That is a funny phrase. Saying something is by its nature acoustic, not visual. "listen to how you say things" might seem to make more sense (and it is important, too). Or in the context of expecting a chastisement from others to a request "read how you write things". (Not saying there was one).
Knowning your audience is also important. Do you think memoryshock was not being mindful when writing the response? Such that the repsonse did not follow what it was proclaiming? Maybe? Maybe not? Maybe both?

I find that by and large people are already hypnotised... completely focused on their own world. I find it funny how a well placed or ill placed word can illicit a vast array of expected and unexpected outcomes. No matter if beneficial or detrimental, persausive or coercive.

Somewhere above I wrote I could care less. Lol, you know NLP. The statement was lightly loaded. The correct translation (and intent) is "I have formed no judgment on your decision to learn about hypnotism". None of my business, really
Subsitute that for above? Did it change the timbre of the paragraph?

Oh, here is a book I liked
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263774762&sr=8-1
It is called the "art of hypnosis". Set in a class room setting.

Best Regards,
catlantis

PS you might not want to burn the banana stand down

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by catlantis

Thanks for the great reply links, each paragraph really made a point, although some of it went above my head.

I do not really have enough experience to say why Erickson techniques seem to heal except a very general sense that pain can be removed and this is a process which theory is hung. I've read that boredom and pain are very interlinked and that happiness is the opposite of both. It seems all treatments move away from pain and towards happiness. Learning how to switch of the critical faculty is crucial and I am learning the process of how this happens, unfortunately I am not a great story-teller.

Quote from you 'I find that by and large people are already hypnotised... completely focused on their own world' and in retrospect I have been guilty of this in the OP and my replies, which I am ashamed off - I've been needlessly rude - so sorry guys.

Peace

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
As it is with almost everything, hypnosis can be used as a weapon or a remedy. I hope that you know what you are doing when "wanting" to help someone.

Now after that "advice", on the topic:

Suggestion is done by repeating. Pray long and hard enough for a Jesus (or anyone) to appear, surely - if your head is not rock solid - you'll get that vision, or at least you think so.

Suggestion requires consent; human machine has an interesting capability to protect one's mind with psychological defenses; which is apparent when people don't want to learn, they won't. But if the 'victim' is approving (as they often are when watching favorite movies, series, playing the most favorite games, listening the favorite band and so on), the attempted hypnosis results more often on success.

So basically, you have to fed the medicine with the candy.

But since you are perhaps more educated than me on this matter, you probably knew all this.

-v

[edit on 21-1-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Hi thanks for the thoughtful reply,

Much of what you say makes sense, people willingly give consent to mind control though watching television or reading a book but when you tell someone you are learning hypnotism people back away, as I did until recently, I wanted to learn hypnotism but did not want the experience for myself but I am completely sold on the idea.

Story-telling seems to be the key, a plan of where you want to take someone. By removing or bypassing the critical faculty you can access your subconscious and then its like taking someone on a journey. But I am still a beginner and the OP was a call out for help - in a way its helped and I hope to start more threads on this. I found ezinearticles.com a good resource for info.

The Derren Brown videos are great for the power of hypnotism but does not explain the method. Erickson books seem to describe the method but does not seem to show the process.

And in life process is vital, now I am going to work on the 'eye technique' which is the foundation of self-suggestion.

PEace

top topics

join