It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saran Wrap in Microwave CANCER?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
There was an email long ago going around, i cant find any solid evidence. Wanted to know what you all thought?
what about styrofoam
i remember when i worked at a deli the soup was too hot for the styrofoam cups and the foam produced bubbles.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The way I look at it is heat and plastic don't mix. Besides what are you worried about? Fluoride, chlorine in the water. God knows what we breath everyday. 427 ingredients in a hot dog, most of which you can't pronounce. Tanker trucks hauling gas and then orange juice. ect ect ect..

Relax man kick back and have a smoke..

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Who puts plastic wrap in a microwave ?? I dont.

but yeah, I heard that about styrofoam too, ... to be honest, I dont think the microwave has any affect on it, .... it doesn't generate enough heat, and when you microwave something, ... it is actually heating the water in the food, not the food itself, ... no water in styrofoam, .. no effect.

in fact styrofoam is so hard to break down, you could probably eat some and it would pass right through you. Sprinkle some sugar on it for a delicious treat !!!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Who puts plastic wrap in a microwave ?? I dont.

but yeah, I heard that about styrofoam too, ... to be honest, I dont think the microwave has any affect on it, .... it doesn't generate enough heat, and when you microwave something, ... it is actually heating the water in the food, not the food itself, ... no water in styrofoam, .. no effect.

in fact styrofoam is so hard to break down, you could probably eat some and it would pass right through you. Sprinkle some sugar on it for a delicious treat !!!

When the water heats up the food heats up then the plastic heats up and most likely even more BHT i think its called is probably released into the food. I think there was a thread on bht recently and canned foods.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

bpa, oops

either way i think its in most plastics

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sgrrsh26

okay, well, those who get cancer from this were obviously not intelligent enough anyway, natural selection at its finest. lol

saran wrap doesn't go in the microwave
and neither does styrofoam
next you will be saying aluminum foil cooked in the microwave cause alzheimer's...maybe that would be true...but whoever puts foil (or saran wrap or styrofoam for that matter) in the microwave has IQ lower than Forrest Gump.

this is a sad day for me, those reading this thread.
the last place i could go where i thought everyone was at least AS smart as me (though usually here i thought most smarter than i am) and after today there is no where left.
idiocracy!
*cries*

[edit on 1/4/2010 by double_frick]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Alot of short order restaurants heat up food in the microwave with plastic rap on it. they put the item, like fish, on a plate and put plastic wrap around it tightly. The plastic does not melt, and it cooks quite a bit faster.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
As mentioned earlier, heat and plastic don't mix. Not sure why anybody would cook in a microwave with saran wrap. I guess common sense isn't as common as it once was.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Do not let a wrap that is covering a dish, touch the food. Some wraps are not heat stable. Their chemicals transfer into the food, if the wrap touches the food. This happens especially when cooking times are long and food gets to higher temperatures. Microwave-safe or heavy-duty types of wrap should be used so it won’t melt when in contact with hot foods.

www.four-h.purdue.edu...

Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking

www.mercola.com...
www.damascusroad.ca...

Ten reasons to throw out your Microwave oven

www.jrussellshealth.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Microwave ovens in general are bound to cause cancer no matter what you put in them. It blast with food with powerful radioactive waves that change the molecular content of your food for the worse. I would avoid them at all cost

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rawhemp

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think microwaves were radioactive.

Remember radiation is different to radioactivity. Radioactive waves are ionizing whereas microwaves are not.

new topics

top topics

join