It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire Safe Cigarettes in South Carolina Starting January 1st

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Fire Safe Cigarettes in South Carolina Starting January 1st

www2.wspa.com

Whether you buy them by the pack or by the carton, there is a small difference on the box signaling a big change inside.

“They have bands in the paper that cause the cigarette to go out if it’s not actually being smoked,“ Steve Owens of Tobacco World says. “All cigarettes from here on out will be produced with these bands in them.“

The new cigarette law went into effect January 1, 2010, orginally passed by the state legislature back in 2008.

The special bands are designed to stop fires from happening, when people leave their cigarettes unattended.

You can tell your pack
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.firesafecig arettes.org
www.examiner.com

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This is just another move by those that think they are better at telling me what I can do and can't do, than I am.

While I applaud the efforts to reduce fires, my cigarettes now taste horrible and will not stay lit.

How much longer before tobacco smoking is as illegal as "other" substances?

Free Country My Butt

Semper

www2.wspa.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Old news and hardly breaking.

We've had these stupid cigs out here in Cali for 2 or 3 years now. They are no differnt than any other pack of smokes. The reason they go out if you don't puff on them is so the 96 year old granny smoking with her oxygen mask on doesn't fall asleep and blow her house up. Believe it happens more than you think.

They still have nicotine, and thats the only part that matters to most of us... Hell, if you actually smoke the things they won't go out!

Now, calm down and go buy a pack of Marlboros.

Edit-- If you really want the full flavor of tobacco just switch to rollies! Zig Zags won't die out while you're enjoying a smoke..

[edit on 2-1-2010 by W3RLIED2]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Hey semper, they did this in Canada about a year ago. Your right the cigarettes don't taste the same and they always go out. You have to keep puffing to keep it lit. Just cause some people can't be careful.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I think it would be prudent to start a list of all the things we can not now do because some lib thinks they know us better than we do.

Eat good food made with Trans Fat

Smoke

Walk home after drinking

Provide for my own retirement

And the list goes on

Whatever happened to freedom

Semper

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

Typical knee jerk reaction to punish the many because of the few..

How about just enforcing the laws and punish the ones that start the fires

Semper

ps to the previous poster.. Check the date on the article. This is breaking news here..

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

The list is much longer than that, my friend. pretty soon bars will be closed, cigar shops will be closed, and all the kids will be meeting down at the library... partying with Kool-ade and diet pepsi.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If you roll your own ciggies, they always go out on you.

When I was a Junior Forest Ranger way back, 'ready-mades' weren't allowed because of the threat of starting forest fires. Only 'roll-your-owns'.

As a result, it's all I've ever smoked. If I do smoke a ready-made, they taste awful and give me headaches. Tell them to stuff their ringed smokes and, if you must smoke, learn to roll.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Phillip Morris rolled these out a couple of years ago. (no pun intended.)

I changed brands from Merritt to Winston Lights because Winston Salem was still using the old paper.

About 6 weeks ago here in Florida the new paper has started being used by Winston Salem too.

It sucks they are always going out on me and it’s truly annoying at times having to keep lighting the same cigarette again and again.

I am not sure what’s inside the paper or in these bands that causes them to self extinguish but what ever it is I believe is adding a certain amount of moisture into the smoke that I can taste and feel in my lungs.

I am with you SemperFortis in that I wish the do gooders of the world would really stop trying to legislate and regulate every last little thing.

I would post more but I am only allowed to post 1,000 characters on tobacco related subjects!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I go buy mine at the Indian rez. They are made with different tobacco. Since I started getting cartons from the rez I havn't had one go out... but before that, it did happen frequently.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by W3RLIED2]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Mine don't stay lit either, they are Pall Mall 100 lights...I am tired of getting beat up because I am a smoker, yesterday the law went into effect here in Michigan to ban all smoking in restaurants and office buildings or public buildings... this is the second time for me, I live in California in the mid-nineties when the ban went in effect there, I lived in Berkeley and there was actually a group in that city who tried to get a lot passed banning smoking in your own car..they didn't go anywhere.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm in Canada, my cigarettes stay lit just fine most of the time. Maybe it is only a matter of time. Perhaps the lobbyists at BIC have succeeded in their scheme?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
How much longer before tobacco smoking is as illegal as "other" substances?

I don't know, but when it is, you wont be allowed to talk about it on ATS.

MUAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

I used to buy them at the Indian Reservations but in a fit of revolutionary feeling and display I sold my car in favor of a bicycle early last year.

It feels great to no longer be a slave to gasoline, insurance or the highway patrol but the Reservation is just a little too far out of my leg range.

Darn white man had to have all the beach and stick them in the Everglades!

That was a bad idea!

Thanks for the suggestion though friend.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Gee, just what the world needed, eh?!

I'm all for technology...as long as it's reasonable. Altho this seems harmless enuf on the surface...it is just another dig at the smokers!
At that's what really ticks me off!..

I quit smoking many yrs ago, but this assault on people who wish to indulge in a smoke is highly offensive to me.

Turning folks into 2nd and 3rd class citizens just cuz they need a smoke?!?!

I just find PC highly offensive and refuse to participate in persecuting people ov er it.....

BTW...I'm not accusing you of being PC....

[edit on 2-1-2010 by toasted]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I live in Calif and i buy large bags of tobacco, bags of filters, tops papers, and have a rolling machine.

This way i don't have to deal with these fire safe cigarettes plus i only spend about $30 a month for smokes. if i bought pre made cigarettes i would have to pay about $90 dollars for the same amount of smokes.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Anned has got the main point, roll your own. I prefer american spirit tobacco for it has no chemical additives and El Ray tubes and my cigarettes never runs out on me until I snuff em.

Also heard horror stories about those safe cigarettes, cherry falling down and actually starting fires, so in essence, they missed their goal big time.

Someone started a thread about some time ago, just cannot seem to find it at the moment.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

Typical knee jerk reaction to punish the many because of the few..

How about just enforcing the laws and punish the ones that start the fires

Semper

How are you going to tell dead Grannies family that she is not only dead from falling asleep with a ciggy, but that she will now also be fined for it?
Also it will help stop a lot of bushfires here in Australia. I for one welcome them when they come to Oz.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Have they started hiding them on you in the stores yet? In Canada, you walk in a store and you better know what you want because they hide the cigs behind blank covers. They are not allowed to be in view. Even in tobacco stores.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Hey guys! A very big question (to me) came up and I didn't see anyone address it...so I will. We all know the bad stuff in cigs and what they do to us. My question is this: What ill effects come from these new bands laced in the cigs?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join