It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really Want to Be an Astronaut? Sign up to be a Starwalker~*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Hello all,

I have always thought that some kind of civilian space exploration program should be available to us,
and I just received an email talking about some 'reality show', where anyone can sign up, ... apparently you can already sign up...

The program is called "Starwalker", and it appears to be real? lol

i hardly ever watch tv, except for dvds and things on the computer, but I might actually watch it if it was on.

The sign up is here
www.starwalkershow.com...

Almost a month ago now, I wrote about the upcoming reality show Starwalker, in which the winners would become real-life, space-faring astronauts. If, that was, the show was legit, and it really would happen. As you may recall, I was somewhat skeptical that it would ever take place, and that it may not be the best way of encouraging public interest in space. Well, however I feel about the latter, the former looks more likely.

You can now officially submit an application to be on Starwalker yourself at www.starwalkershow.com. It looks like all they need is your name, age, e-mail address and zip code. Apparently, you can even enter by text if you’d rather, up until the deadline of April 30. Huh, how ’bout that?

Don’t think you’ll automatically be on the show if you fill out the form. They promise a rigorous screening process. And don’t bother applying if you’re not ridiculously fit because the first episode requires participants to cover 21 kilometers, according to the show’s blog. The last 50 percent to make it are cut..... more here cs.astronomy.com...

what do you think?
or
? lol

I am rather excited about it, after just learning of it.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I find that pretty interesting.
When they say cover 21 KM, do they mean run? If so that is a heck of a length of running. I submited an entry anyways! I don't care for the reality T.V. portion, more-so just being in space.

-Sd

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
You know how dumb astronauts would be if they just picked them from tv shows? Sorry but no you need years of training.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Well yes, a LOT of training and a fairly high IQ.

BUT, they are not looking for a commander or engineers, or navigators etc, they are looking for 'passengers'.

Applicants only need to be able to withstand the physical and mental rigours and forces they'll experience during the trip.

Years and years to fly and operate the craft, a few months of training to be strapped into a seat and experience the flight.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Sounds very familier to a UK reality tv show a few years back were the tricked the contestents into believing they were in some Russian space training camp and then managed to get them into a shuttle simulator all the time the contestents believed they were in space.

The show was called Space Cadets here is a WIKI link to it en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2-1-2010 by operationnimrod]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Well yes, a LOT of training and a fairly high IQ.

BUT, they are not looking for a commander or engineers, or navigators etc, they are looking for 'passengers'.

Applicants only need to be able to withstand the physical and mental rigours and forces they'll experience during the trip.

Years and years to fly and operate the craft, a few months of training to be strapped into a seat and experience the flight.

Right, Thanks for clearing that up, Spikey.

Yes Slovak, Astronauts would be pretty worthless if they just started grabbing people and sending them into space.

However, that is not what they are doing, Did you even read it? lol

@ Sd~ Yes my friend, 21Km run. lol.. pretty intense!!
Much more so than my daily trail runs. lol

I dont care about the whole "reality tv" stuff either,
But I also signed up, ... it seems our best chance at the moment to do something many of us have dreamed of since .... forever.
I understand the chances are slim...... but Ill take that chance! lol

@operationnimrod~ wow, that is interesting... Ive never heard of that, I would be pretty upset if I thought I was going into space and then learned I was only in a cheezy simulator.

Thanks for the replies, all.

oh, and whoever gave me a star&flag, thanks!

Ad Astra, my friends, Ad astra* lol
Blessings
Ahmose

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wait a minute this sounds far too familiar I think I remember watching a TV program a while ago where some people applied to be astronauts. And they got tricked into thinking they were actually in space.

I can’t remember the name of it but it was all done really well and the "astronauts" were fully convinced they were in space till the end where they told them it was just a simulation.

I suspect that this is the same kind of thing to be honest but I’ll try and find the name of it

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Yeah, operationnimrod posted it 2 replies before yours.
Apparently it was called "Space Cadets".
look 2 posts up.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Ah sorry about that I got kind of excited about remembering it so I posted it almost straight away without reading any of the other posts.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

hehe, no worries.

perfectly understandable,
I do that sometimes to. lol

Im glad you guys mentioned it though...
So if i do ever get picked, that is the first thing I will ask...

"So, Starwalker producers, .... before we even get started here, What is the deal? is this some bogus joke that will end up in a space simulator? If so, and this is all some psychological experiment for you to get rich from, let us all walk now, and shove your space simulator where good old Sol dont shine."
" lol

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SDiazIVC

I didn't care if the requirements called for fighting a grizzly bear or jumping into a pool of sharks, when I read there was a chance I could go to space I was in already.

new topics

top topics

join