It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific World or Religious World? Choose one.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Suppose you could choose between two choices of a world to live in:

Scientific World: In this world EVERYBODY trusts science and thinks logically. There is no room for religion. People believe only in what makes sense and/or can be proven. So, there is room for the laws, theories and hypothesis of science. But everything must follow a logical thinking. There is no room for spirituality OVER science.

Religious World: In this world EVERYBODY is religious and all their actions are based on their faith and one the moral guidance of those particular faiths. There is no room for people to say the information in the holy scriptures make no sense. But because of the nature of religion, there wouldnt be only one religion in the world, but many. Since one religion can not be proven/believed/accepted to be more truthful than the other. Still, everyone is religious and follow their respective faith accordingly.

So, in which world would you rather live in and why?

PS: This is not about chosing your ideal world and I know it is difficult to choose only between these two potions, but please, play along otherwise there is no point to the thread.

EDIT: Updated the info on the Scientific world to make it more clear, based on what some people have posted.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by henriquefd]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You pose an interesting question but you have left out, possibly on purpose, another viable option. The one that I would choose. Which is a marriage of the two.

Not a marriage between the tainted two that we have now but between the purest sense of each. The spiritual belief mixed with true science.

But if I had to choose between the two you have proposed I would have to lean towards science. Even though it has become more and more tainted (or at least more perceptively) I would rather lean with logic than blind faith.

Religion is a corrupt thing now. If it were to get back to its roots and be simply spirituality with a connectedness with the creator then I would probably lean that way.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

I prefer EXISTANCE WITH A POSITIVE ENERGY FULL OF ETERNAL INTELLIGENCE FOR EVER.

[edit on 12/31/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
How about a world with all the false religions removed.

Also, shouldn't quack science be removed from the scientific world? Not all science is the same, just as all religions aren't the same.

All religions shouldn't be lumped together because there are big differences between them.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

That's the problem. There is no perfect world. I didn't give the choice of both together because that is what we already have. But dont get me wrong. In both choices I ahve given, there are pros and cons.

For example, maybe a Scientific World has less room for emotions than a Religious World. We would have more STUFF since we would be more technologically advanced, but maybe people in the Religious World could experience a wider range of emotions. Who would be happier? Which world would be more violent/safer? What would you value more in your choice?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Well this is a difficult question mainly because of the options. Science in itself has faith to a degree. For instance the scientific theories are just theories. There not 100% right and not 100% wrong either. There are many theories of the formation of the universe and many scientist think other scientists are stupid for not believing in the big Bang. Many believe in other theories, so who is more logically right?

Religion is a complicated world to live in. Complete religion, or science, of any kind is harmful to a society. With both the imagination and adventure of life both die quickly. Rather then there being great inventors who think outside of the box, they will be constrained inside the box by what the scientific and religious laws say. Having too choose between both is most impossible.

I would choose a combination of both and while it was not a choice it is the most conservative and safer of the two...

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Ahh, but you have misunderstood me. We do NOT have a marriage between science and religion. What we have is a world where both exist in imperfect states. Not where they are working in unison together to discover the same things.

This is what I mean by the marriage of the two. And I don't mean scientology either. They are VERY far from what I am talking about.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I would take the scientific world in a heartbeat. Logic and reason are very important to me. To me, the stories of religion and God are fantasies. I would rather deal with the truth of what we know than think of these unprovable fantasies as the truth.

I prefer a marriage of the two (science and spirituality) but spirituality is also not provable. So I'll pick science.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I wonder if the "scientific world" would be purged of trash pop-science and government reaction based on preliminary data?

A small example is how every couple of months coffee/butter are bad for you then they're good for you then they're bad for you again then right before they're good for you again they cause cancer and the never-ending pointless cycle of "science" , if it can be called that, goes on.

Larger examples would be dumping tons of iron into the ocean to promote the growth of some endangered algae only to create a massive jump in toxic blooms and seriously mess up the water for everyone and everything for a long long time.

I dont trust knee-jerk science reactionaries and their prophets anymore than I do psycho religious quacks and their prophets.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by henriquefd
Suppose you could choose between two choices of a world to live in:

Scientific World: In this world EVERYBODY trusts science and thinks logically. There is no room for religion. People believe only in what makes sense and/or can be proven. So, there is room for the laws, theories and hypothesis of science. But everything must follow a logical thinking. There is no room for spirituality OVER science.

Religious World: In this world EVERYBODY is religious and all their actions are based on their faith and one the moral guidance of those particular faiths. There is no room for people to say the information in the holy scriptures make no sense. But because of the nature of religion, there wouldnt be only one religion in the world, but many. Since one religion can not be proven/believed/accepted to be more truthful than the other. Still, everyone is religious and follow their respective faith accordingly.

So, in which world would you rather live in and why?

PS: This is not about chosing your ideal world and I know it is difficult to choose only between these two potions, but please, play along otherwise there is no point to the thread.

EDIT: Updated the info on the Scientific world to make it more clear, based on what some people have posted.

With science there is only one way. Religion causes conflicts between each other, and it causes oppression depending on the religion and how you follow it.

Scientific world please.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Sadly, people are too ignorant to see that science and god go hand in hand.

P.S. God isn't physical if thats what you were thinking.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
As a fundamental christian,you already know my choice!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Religious epochs have typically served as an impedance to human progress. I'd have to choose the "scientific world"

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities" -- Voltaire

The scientific world everytime.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
You pose an interesting question but you have left out, possibly on purpose, another viable option. The one that I would choose. Which is a marriage of the two.

Not a marriage between the tainted two that we have now but between the purest sense of each. The spiritual belief mixed with true science.

But if I had to choose between the two you have proposed I would have to lean towards science. Even though it has become more and more tainted (or at least more perceptively) I would rather lean with logic than blind faith.

Religion is a corrupt thing now. If it were to get back to its roots and be simply spirituality with a connectedness with the creator then I would probably lean that way.

This was my thought when I first saw this post. For thousands and thousands of years science and religion were entwined together. There was never a time when there was one without the other. It was probably unthinkable for our young humanity to even conceive of them ever being separate. But as our thought processes came of age a divorce between the two began.

I personally believe this divorce will be short lived and I'm convinced it'll be science that brings them back together. Science will eventually discover, I believe, that 'Life' embraces everything there is. This will force science to re-look at the concept of God, i.e. "Him whom we move and breathe and have our being". God will be proven to be in the very large and the very small simultaneously, and we as human beings will be seen as both part and parcel of God. But logic and even wisdom alone cannot discover this true inner 'Life' that is behind all manifestation, they can only point the way.

Religion, on the other hand, will need to catch up or be left behind. There is no one particular religion that holds the key to it all, they are all sign posts to the real truth within. Our religious texts will need to be revisited and not read literally: they are almost always myths and parables that describe an inner and secret truth. For instance, Adam and Eve were said to be given 'coats of skin' after being expulsed from the Garden of Eden (the unmanifested and therefore 'heavenly state'). If science were to discover the higher aspects of the physical plane, i.e. something that is more than solid, liquid or gaseous, then couldn't it be conceivable that these 'coats of skin' were a description of these sub-planes of our physical world?

If I had to make a choice, I too would have to choose science since I believe that it'll be science that'll eventually reveal, once and for all, that we cannot die. Thus proving, once and for all, that God does exist. We may have to come up with a different set of words to describe this 'Life' that we are part and parcel of, but the concept will be the same.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by Neo__]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Science and spirit can work along one another, everything is connected.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Both...balance out of the both and you'll have self-actualizations.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Because humans are not evolved enough to figure out that there's no distinction between two. True scientists are true spiritualists. But half-baked scientists are like half-baked spiritualists, they are incomplete and unbalanced... so, it takes a while.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Both worlds are fascist societies to say the least. Each individual should be allowed to believe what they want.

In a scientific world, I would fight to promote spirituality. In a spirtual world, I would fight to promote science.

Either way, I would probably be imprisoned (or worse) for my beliefs.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The systematic logic that exists through out the heavens dictates
Intellegent design. Logic being a law of the universe can not be a random happening.
You must have a world with a supreme being if everyone is going to think logically. The case for a supreme being is logical.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join