It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can time speed up without us notice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
It is a bit difficult to describe my question in one understandable short sentence. So here I go and give it a shot to explain myself.

Before I make a complete fool of myself and say that time is speeding up I want to know if any of you readers can tell me if this is possible. I am not a Mayan Calender scholar but is this also not part of the calender theory?

What if time is speeding up and watches are still keeping track with eachother, keeping track with the change of day. With other words the change of day goes faster, a year passes faster while our time-keeping is still correct.

Can this occur when evrything is speeding up? On a subatomic level to the level of our galaxy? Even a watch that need to wind with a spring is unwinding faster than normal and still gives the correct time.

If this is possible how could we know that this is happening if we do not have a point of reference, Or what could be another point of reference than the atom-clock we use today for time-keeping ? Will a pulsar deep in space be able to help us out?

Anyways, I hope it isn't all too confusing but the question is if it is possible and what can be the cause of this.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Time is relative. It is certainly possible that what we perceive as time can speed up or slow down and there would be little to no way of knowing. Unless you had a point of reference outside the relative space (like Andromeda for instance)

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Yup. That's called a WEEKEND. Then monday comes you go to work and you NOTICE time slowing down drastically!

Seriously, now, maybe time is speeding up at the same rate as the universe is expanding? would we notice? I dont think so, unless you notice the universe expanding as well. =P

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
There have been instances of time slowing like you see in Matrix movies during gun fights reported by police officers and soldiers, while some of these can be explained by adrenaline rush, some like when an officer read the writing of the cartridge coming out of his gun.

I believe time is relative not to the universe but to every person, and thing we all travel at a different time speed but along the same timeline, we are able to speed up or slow down our own personal time but the time around us goes the same just our actions within it change. Either that or we are able to vary our reactions so greatly under circumstances that we just move faster and react faster to the world under adrenaline, more plausible, but I believe in the first one more cause I like control :-p

Don't know if that makes any sense.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I'm glad this was raised because I really don't understand it when people claim that time is speeding up. I'm thinking maybe what they mean is that the pace of development is accelerating?
Otherwise surely time units would have to be reset. For example the units of measure would stay the same but there would be less than 24 hours in a day, or less days in a year etc.
Or maybe a second would be officially made a fraction longer.
Either would require a worldwide adjustment in time keeping.
Anyone..?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

That is how I developed my Time within Time theory, but as an engineer I know I am probably wrong, but it is the best way I can make sense of time and how we experience.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahddm
reply to post by unicorn1

That is how I developed my Time within Time theory, but as an engineer I know I am probably wrong, but it is the best way I can make sense of time and how we experience.

Time is one of those things that plays a part in the background of our lives and it is not as tangible as the other dimesions we deal with every day. I think that even the scientist are not completely sure about what its working with all the other forces in nature exactly is.

How does time work with our brains and the connection with our spirits. How can a dream that we experiance to be hours only took seconds or minutes?

Indeed, time is how we individually perceive it but the way we measure it should be for everybody the same and that is what my question is about.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I believe it is. I can't be sure but doesn't Einsteins theory of relativity explain this?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I think this is a great question that deserves some serious attention.

Time is the measure of objects in motion in comparison to a reference point. Time is relative so in theory there are an infinite possible number of definitions for a second but only one per observer. One could measure a second on Earth differently then another could measure a second on the Moon due to the different accelerations from gravity but each would consider "their" second to be accurate. This is because accelerations (like that from gravity) slow time down and every object in space has a different relative acceleration.

Rotational motion is considered an acceleration due to the observed fictitious force (centrifugal) so therefore rotational motions slow time down just like all other forms of observed accelerations (gravitational and linear). *See theory below.
Think of a 24 Hr period, this is one Earth rotation and one orbit around the Sun is a year. Our Sun also oscillates up and down crossing the galactic plane as we rotate around with the Milky Way galaxy (@2.7 oscillations per rotation). There are more accelerations due to rotational motion then most are aware of.

*I have a theory that there is only rotational motions and this is the cause of gravity and time, the faster the rotations the greater the inertial gravity and the slower time is measured relatively speaking. Observed linear motions are rather very large parabolic or hyperbolic curves which will theoretically eventually make a circle. Linear motions are a deception and thus theoretically don't exist.

The center of the Milky Way, galactic Bar, rotates at a rate of about one revolution per 15 million years (relatively fast rotation). The spiral arms in our galaxy rotate at about one revolution per 50 million years (a bit slower) and our Sun which is located on the inner edge of the Orion spur (a small spur off of a galactic arm) takes about 225 million years to make one orbit around the galaxy. This seems to indicate that we are being accelerated by a force that originates from the center of the Milky Way galaxy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bf694a8af774.jpg[/atsimg]
Keep in mind that the spiral arms of all galaxies retain their shape and rotate with a fixed speed, like a wheel, yet the star clusters within a galaxy do not. Star clusters closer to the galactic center rotate faster then those on the outer edge. This means our acceleration (rotational motion) speeds up as the Orion spur came by engulfing all of the local clusters pushing them along. Thus our acceleration will slow down as this galactic arm (or spur) passes us by and from this, time will begin to go faster relatively speaking.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e44bea804b3.jpg[/atsimg]

I believe that this will also effect gravity, faster accelerations equal more gravity (inertial mass) and slower relative time- Slower accelerations equal less gravity and faster relative time, but the question is will we notice the change?
I don't think we will notice such a slow and subtle change as it might take hundreds or even thousands of years before any noticeable difference will occur. However I do think we could measure this in a way that would prove, or disprove, this idea by measuring pulsars from other galaxies or perhaps even in small changes measured in the redshifts of other galaxies.

The galactic arms are compression waves accelerating the stars within and the open space between are the rarefactions or troughs. If this theory is correct then there would be a measurable difference between the two. Does this coincide with the Mayan calendar? More detailed information and measurements would be needed to prove this either way.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
According to Special Relativity, if the movement of the Earth through the galaxy/universe begins to speed up or slow down relative to other stars and their planets, then time on Earth will inversely slow down/speed up relative to those planets.

Originally posted by zatara
...If this is possible how could we know that this is happening if we do not have a point of reference, Or what could be another point of reference than the atom-clock we use today for time-keeping ? Will a pulsar deep in space be able to help us out?

Yes -- I think a pulsar would be a great point of reference -- a "standard clock".

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

It seems that it has been speeding up slowly since 2000 and as for as the way to track it there is non for everything in space is also speeding up the universe is being modified. Something is in it causing this to happen but I think this is part of the whole EXISTANCE OVER LIFE ADJUSTMENT PROCESS. Life is based on TIME existance is not.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Though i understand the time runs at a constant for us here on earth anyway, there are a number of times when it can change for the individual, and then as far as i know its only that individuals perception of time that changes and not actual time its self. For me when i was younger time seemed to drag, weeks seemed like months, but, and i am sure others will agree, as one gets older, time seems to speed up, in fact it seems so fast some times, i have a hard job believing that it was a year ago today i was getting ready to celebrate new years eve for 2009. I even though that someone was playing with time because it seemed to go so fast.

I do know that time seems to slow down in a time of fight or flight, like if your in a dangerous situation, and you produce more adrenaline than normal, time seems to slow down, i believe its because your body reflexes get faster, kind of like jumping from a swing when you were younger, time seemed to slow right down at the point of leaving the swing and landing on the ground. IMO anyway. I do understand the time to the individual would seem to slow down if one were able to get close to the speed of light, as Albert Einstein suggested, but as for time speeding up, Im not sure about that i think its just age that makes it seem that way.

sorry went on a bit there

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Thanks for the explanation...I am not a physicist so I am not able to completely follow your answer but it helped me to have an idea about the relation between time and gravity.

I belief that your theory will need some exotic mathematics if you want it be accepted in the math/physics community. Good luck with that...

These representations of our milkyway are neat...I assume they are not photographs.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Sorry but I am still not understanding it.
I accept that our perceptions of time can vary but there sure cannot be any objective changes.
My mechanical clock still measures time at the same pace. It is impossible for the hands to go round faster. I would have to alter the settings for this to happen.
What am I missing?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
I accept that our perceptions of time can vary but there sure cannot be any objective changes.
My mechanical clock still measures time at the same pace. It is impossible for the hands to go round faster. I would have to alter the settings for this to happen.
What am I missing?

You are missing nothing......there are different ways to experiance time. The time you have on your clock, the time that you think have past and the time difference between to people in motion. The last I do not even begin to explain because that one is way above my pay-grade. But that is the one you do not understand I get it. Maybe you should ask Divino.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It is a bit difficult to describe my question in one understandable short sentence. So here I go and give it a shot to explain myself.

Before I make a complete fool of myself and say that time is speeding up I want to know if any of you readers can tell me if this is possible. I am not a Mayan Calender scholar but is this also not part of the calender theory?

What if time is speeding up and watches are still keeping track with eachother, keeping track with the change of day. With other words the change of day goes faster, a year passes faster while our time-keeping is still correct.

Can this occur when evrything is speeding up? On a subatomic level to the level of our galaxy? Even a watch that need to wind with a spring is unwinding faster than normal and still gives the correct time.

If this is possible how could we know that this is happening if we do not have a point of reference, Or what could be another point of reference than the atom-clock we use today for time-keeping ? Will a pulsar deep in space be able to help us out?

Anyways, I hope it isn't all too confusing but the question is if it is possible and what can be the cause of this.

You can find out for yourself.

Look at the clock now and make a mental note of the time. At some point in the future, imagine what time it must be. Be careful to take into account how long it takes you to do the things you do and watch the shows you watched, wash your hands, cough, sneeze; whatever you have done. It takes much less time to think of it than it took for me to just type it...

I am really good at -imagi-calculatin'- time. I almost always get the time right within 1 minute of the time according to the clocks. But, on some days, I am WAYYYYYY Off.

And of course, it could just be me being human and wanting to excuse my grand miscalculation... except for that I am positive to reaccount for everything that has happened.

It is my personal opinion that after you do this experiment a few times(a few being 10-20) that you will realize that someone is toying with time and sometimes we can catch it with our "mistakes".

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

reply to post by Devino

Thanks for the explanation...I am not a physicist so I am not able to completely follow your answer but it helped me to have an idea about the relation between time and gravity.

I enjoy reading and thinking about questions like these, sometimes my mind gets cluttered and it is difficult to reply but other times it is clear and I enjoy the results. Time is the measure or observation of motion from a perspective and motion (acceleration) is the cause of gravity, this is an important connection.

I belief that your theory will need some exotic mathematics if you want it be accepted in the math/physics community. Good luck with that...

I have no desire to write a per review paper, exotic math is no friend of mine. My ego may disagree but I think I would be just as happy if someone were to take my ideas and work them into a scientific paper. However, this would mean a direct contradiction to the big bang theory, dark matter/energy, gravity waves, expanding space and much more. I believe that these theories are false and the sooner we accept this the faster science can get out of the religious business and back into the sciences of astronomy and physics.

These representations of our milkyway are neat...I assume they are not photographs.

I think these are images of another galaxy used to represent where we believe we are in the Milky Way. I understand how one could come up with a model showing where we are in the galaxy and in the Orion arm but I am lost to how one can discern our rotational speed and the rotational speeds of the galactic arms and the galactic bar or center. I find it stunning how these apparent motions, found easily in Wikipedia and other sources, show in detail an electric motor. Electro-magnetism creating energy in the form of inertial mass and gravity being observed in time. This is a beautifully simple model I think.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
What am I missing?

I agree with zatara, you are not missing anything. It is difficult for us to think of time in any other way other than subjective. You see the second hand on your clock move with a predictable rhythm and it will not move any faster, or slower, unless conditions are altered.

Here is a thought experiment; The seconds tick by in a constant rhythm. Now imagine accelerating away from your clock at the speed of light and then look back at it, what you will see is what appears to be a second hand frozen in time. The image of the clock will remain fixed because you are moving away from it at the same speed its image is moving. In order to receive any "updated" images that show the second hand moving you will have to stop moving away from your clock.

Now consider that everything in the Universe is in motion of some kind and no two are the same, theoretically. You observe things around you as motionless because they are moving at near the same relative accelerations as you are and for this reason time around you also appears to be the same. The actual differences cannot be measured because they are too small but if the relative accelerations become great enough then you will be able to measure a difference. Evidence of this has been found with GPS satellites.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Devino]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I believe time does slow down near a black hole but since we're all in the same space time density here on Earth, I won't discuss that. That leaves time as a perception of the individual. Basically time flies when you're having fun and staying busy but drags on when it comes to doing things you don't care too much about. I believe for many people today time may go by fast because everyone is so busy with all of their electronic gadgets. Every minute someone seems to be using a cell phone, pc, iphone, tv, or some other gadget staying busy almost all the time. Stop using electronic devices and see how much slower time seems to go by.

There are also moments when your brain seems to get extra energy and everything seems to be moving in slow motion. This may be a personal thing and not something that most people get to experience.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Isn't there some pulse within the Earth that has been used by the US military for decades as an accurate time keeper and hasn't it been increasing in frequency?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join