It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the West Can't Keep Helping the Rest of the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

www.news.com.au...

NEARLY $537 million in tsunami aid for Sri Lanka is unaccounted for and over $686 million has been spent on projects unrelated to the disaster, an anti-corruption watchdog says.

There is an old saying "God Helps those who help themselves" which I have finally come to the conclusion that digging into my pocket every time a poor Country has a disaster is no longer going to happen. I personally am disgusted at how these so called "Poor" Nations seem to all have this knack for theft and misappropriation of hand outs.

Western Countries like mine ( Australia ) hand out billions every year to Nations in our region who continually squander it like never before. The list is endless and seems to be like a right of theirs to waste this hand out money on themselves like its a God Given right.

You will no longer get a single penny from me, even if you country suffers another Tsunami you will have to fund your own lavish extravagances your "DAMNED" self.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by mazzroth]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah, it's pretty unappealing that the money that you do give never actually helps out the people that need it most. It fills the pockets of those who need it least.

As much as I would like to give to charity if I had more money than I had ever needed, I wouldn't give it to charity. I just can't trust them one bit. It'd be nice if your funds were monitored and relayed back to you. That'd be nice.

But hey, even cancer research charities. I mean, they've been around for decades, right? How long would the donating need to keep going on for until they actually discover a cure?

It's hard to even trust those in your own backyard these days. It's not how it should be.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Good lord, I don;t even think they would steal that much here in America. What kind of gov't does Sri Lanka have? The people who were devastated by the storm have mostly been displaced by commercial interests and constitute the new slumclass in urban areas. Hotels have run off the fishermen and now this....there better be an afterlife because there is no justice in this world.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

The poor counties are the ones that have to put up with corrupt leadership bought and paid for by the corrupt leadership of the western governments so that they can steel resources and labor without too much complaint by the locals.

Your donations do end up in the wrong place because that is what is used as payment to these despots. The people of the poor countries have no say and are continually exploited by all parties.

Wake up to whats happening and see that it is not the ordinary peoples fault and they are deserving of our aid. How to ensure they get the aid is a different story.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kennyb72

I wish it were as simple as you say mate, how ever you paint the picture of these so called "poor man on the street" they are simply not going to get my money anymore no matter how you paint it.

As a matter of fact, I request all free thinking individuals to do the exact same no matter how they tug on your "Heart Strings" because until there is no money to steal from will something ultimately be done that is right.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by mazzroth]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mazzroth

Don't lose your compassion for humanity because of the inhumanity of a few. If you do, they win we all lose.

Whether you have spiritual beliefs or not, the saying "There, but for the grace of God". is valid

If something bad was to happen to you or your loved ones or even Australia as a country, I am sure you would like to believe there was some humanity left that would reach out to help you.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by kennyb72]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

I have just added scientific research to my list of "Who Not To Donate To" as well, this just keeps getting worse.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It has a strongly liberal-minded economy inspired by western idealists from the Chicago school of economics.

Sri Lanka's been transferring wealth upwards for decades now. Thing is, the west created this situation as part of a deal with the World Bank and the IMF - more economic liberalization, or no more loans.

of course as anyone with a lick of sense can tell you, freemarketeering just leads to skyrocketing inflation, vast corruption, deeper national debt, and widespread poverty.

Give yourselves a pat on the back, folks.Your demand for open and friendly markets has brought your charitable donations right to the big deep pockets of the hotel owners and thugs you demanded to make your vacations much nicer.

new topics

top topics

join