It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Kerry ponders visitng Iran.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

John Kerry ponders visitng Iran.

www.foxnews.com

The Massachusett Democrat's office has not yet said whether Kerry will go, but if he does, it would be the highest-ranking visit by a U.S. envoy to the Islamic Republic since the 1979 revolution that put the mullahs in charge. Also unclear is whether Iran would welcome a Kerry visit.

"This is the kind of trip that is appropriate for the chair of Senate Foreign Relations Committee," the official told Fox News. "This is a Kerry initiative and not at the behest of the White House."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think this might be a good trip for America and possibly Israel because I do believe John Kerry can be a good orator. He did lose the 2004 elections to George Bush but that was because he wasn't very good at being a president but I do believe he would be very good at diplomatic effort, hopefully he can restore peace to this idiotic squabbling. Let's just hope this is true and is not just another way to reinforce our reasons to attack Iran.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Right away, I'm thinking, "IS there any chance that they might keep him over there?" Hopefully you are correct in your optimism, but I won't hold my breath.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Just in...

In a super-secret state visit to Tehran (Iran) John Kerry teaches Iranian diplomats to dance, "like good little government puppets should"

Film at 11:00

Stay tuned!

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Maybe he'll decide to go hiking near the Iranian border.

Fingers crossed.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

That is funny you said that, when I saw it I thought the same thing I just thought it was to far 'out there' to be real. I thought maybe they would keep him over there so we would have an excellent excuse to invade them.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Thank god his visit has been denied. This would have been a propaganda dream for the regime if he had gone. When the regime is on the brink of collapse you don't offer them anything to cling onto, and you definitely don't offer them any form of legitimacy.

After all of the Iranian people who have given their lives for freedom over there, and pathetic people like Obama and Kerry still want to talk to dictators.

There's no need to resort to bombing either, as a collapsed regime at the hands of Iranian's won't be able to continue enriching Uranium. Let's hope that the regime doesn't launch a war against one of their neighbours before they collapse.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
hotair.com...

The Iranian people have gone into the streets once again to protest against the tyranny of the mullahs after the death of dissident cleric Hossein Ali Montazeri. The Iranian government fears the reaction enough to ban any more memorials for Montazeri after protests erupted in Qom. Will the Obama administration finally show some support for Iranian opposition and refuse to grant any legitimacy to the mullahcracy, which has also defied global calls for an end to its nuclear-weapons program?

Nope:

Sen. John Kerry has suggested becoming the first high-level U.S. emissary to make a public visit to Tehran since the 1979 Islamic revolution, a move White House officials say they won’t oppose.

The offer comes as mass protests against Iran’s regime are resurfacing and a U.S.-imposed deadline nears to broach international sanctions against Iran.

“This sounds like the kind of travel a chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee would — and should — undertake,” said a White House official, adding it would be at Sen. Kerry’s own behest. …

The Obama administration hasn’t decided whether to make Sen. Kerry its official representative if he goes, but as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. Kerry can visit if the White House and Tehran both approve.

How do opposition leaders view this visit? As a betrayal, and as an endorsement for tyrants:

Many opponents of Tehran’s regime oppose such a visit, fearing it would lend legitimacy to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at a time when his government is under continuing pressure from protests and opposition figures. Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators took to the streets again this week to voice their opposition to the government following the death of a reformist cleric.

Well, what do they know? Let’s ask the peace activists, the ones who believe that talking always solves problems. Surely this idea will get them excited, especially coming from the Hope and Change administration, right? Right?

“We’ve eschewed high-level visits to Iran for the last 30 years. I think now — when the Iranian regime’s fate is less certain than ever — is not the best time to begin,” said Karim Sadjadpour, an Iran analyst at Washington’s Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

“The wrong message would be sent to the Iranian people by such a high-level visit: The U.S. loves dictatorial regimes,” said Hossein Askari, a professor at George Washington University and former adviser to Iranian governments.

In other words, everyone outside of the White House and Magic Hat Land agree that this would be a bad idea.

The truth is that we don’t have any good options on Iran and its nuclear-weapon program. Sanctions won’t work, because the Russians and the Chinese conduct too much trade with Iran. The Chinese won’t agree to them, and the Russians will cheat to get around them. Military strikes sound good, but Iran has significant military capabilities of its own that can hit us in Iraq, the Straits of Hormuz, and throughout the Persian Gulf — and Iran has dispersed its nuclear program to avoid having it destroyed by airstrikes. Invasion would be almost impossible, thanks to the terrain and the 72 million Iranians that would resist it.

The best option we have in dealing with the Iranian nuclear and terrorist threats is regime change. Replacing the radical mullahs with almost anything else would improve the situation, and a popular uprising that replaced the theocracy with a secular republic like Turkey would be the best outcome. Instead, Obama seems intent on regime strengthening. We should be encouraging the democratic activists in Iran not just for the sake of democracy but also to relieve two of the greatest threats to regional stability.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So my first thought was that he isnt even an ex-president. Its bad enough when Clinton and Carter would do this kind of stuff.

Does running for president now make you an instant rock star? Does anyone outside of the US really give a rip about John Kerry?

Is it me, or does it seem like ex-presidents (and ex-presidental hopefuls, it would seem) really just make asses out of themselves when they try to act like they matter WAY more than they do?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

Cav that was my first thought, (star) who the f cares about a state rep.

JK can go there but he should only be a visitor, ( ooh look at this building or that building) he does not speak for us, he speaks for a state by being elected to do so. Some will say well hes a US sen but sen of what State? That is right none that is the official spokes person of US.

Send a Pres , VP, heck some one who's job is to do that , o yea Ambassador?

better yet send me. at least I understand the religion/culture better then he does.

Before anyone tries to bash my political party - I have none I vote Flying spaghetti monster

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
Does running for president now make you an instant rock star? Does anyone outside of the US really give a rip about John Kerry?

Speaking as a Kiwi I very doubt that any politicians in Wellington care about Kerry in any meaningful political sense . Hillary on the other hand is a very useful " friend " to have on Capital Hill . Any trip that Kerry makes would be a complete and utter waste of time . Iran's leadership has already shown its not interested in having better relations with the US because the end of say oil rationing would make the masses harder to control . Assuming that I am wrong and diplomats are doing back room deals and Iran is only keeping up a public pretence why send somebody as high profile as John Kerry ?

IMO Kerry is looking for an ego trip to help make up for his epic failure as a presidential candidate .

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I think he they should let him go and try to solve whatever it is hes trying to solve. Im sure he cant do no worst then anyone else.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I think John Kerry would be allowed by Iran to visit if he so wants. Remember when a US University called Ahemjedinad to ridicule him, even though he knew what was going to happen he came to US and after the incident even invited GW Bush which Bush declined lol. That simple incident showed who got balls.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by December_Rain]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Maybe we could talk them into keeping him.

They probably don't like traitors, either.

Well, obviously, Massachusetts does, so maybe Iran would, too.

top topics

join