It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico City backs gay marriage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Mexico City backs gay marriage

news.bbc.co.uk

Lawmakers in Mexico City have become the first in Latin America to legalise gay marriage.

City legislators passed the bill 39-20, with five abstentions. The city's mayor is now widely expected to sign the bill into law.

Gay marriage is only allowed in seven countries and some parts of the US. Certain parts of Latin America allow civil unions for same-sex couples.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Another victory for humanity's pursuit of happiness. Congrats Mexico City, hopefully this occurrence will become so frequent it won't even have to be reported in the news. Slowly but surely every 2 consensual adults will be able to marry with whom they please. They won't have to fight for a loved ones dead body to be released to them because they aren't married/family. They won't have to fight to see there loved one at the hospital because they aren't married/family. Same-sex families won't have to file taxes seperately, get different insurance policies, or be in a situation where they have to decide on a life saving operation when there significant other is unable to consent. One day, it's coming.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

Wonderful move for Mexico City! It's a pretty surprising piece of legislation to me, considering the strong influence of Catholicism in Mexican culture and a city that's probably quite a bit more religious than comparable cities in the US.

Now, if we could just get the religious hypocrites in the US to get their noses out of others' lives and stop trying to force the government to legislate outdated moral principles...

Once again, way to go Mexico City!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
That place is the thunder dome -

Yet the people still pursue progress

Good on them - America wake up, this is pathetic

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

I agree with you on the rights that two consensual adults marry. If it's two adults, minding their own business, and wanting to carry out their vows officially, I dont see why on earth this should have to effect anybody else? What are people scared of faithful happily married gays?? Maybe the religious anti-gay marriage advocates should look to their own, and look to the sheer number of divorces, issues, abuses that occur in straight marriages before they stary "speculating" on same sex marriages.

I also am in agreement that the matter of same sex marriage is a states rights issue. It needs to be dealt with the states, not by the federal government. I think same sex couples should stop rallying to the federal government to force these laws as its not constitutional. I believe the federal government should only come in when its a personal rights issue with individual gays and lesbians. Leave the states to decide on same sex marriage as they constitutionally should.

SG

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

But one must consider that the States are also bound to the Constitution. This will end up boiling down to a 'separate but equal' argument, which in the end the States will lose and thus it will be accepted in all States, such as heterosexual marriage is today.

Good for you, Mexico City, good for you! Welcome to the 21st century!

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
If legalising Gay Marriage will bring an end to Gay Pride parades, Marti Gras festivities, and the glorification of homosexuality in the media, then I am all for it. Maybe this can be a test run to see whether the homosexual community is willing to meet halfway in other regions of the world...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Ummm, dude... Mardi Gras is a hetero thang.... And if you all are willing to end that, plus wet tee shirt contests, and the like, DEAL! But I seriously doubt it! God, how double standards get to me! Ignorance cubed!

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I doubt it's a victory for humanity.
Holy frijole, given the current condition of Mejico, it seems this is nothing more than a move that shows they are merely throwing their hands up in the air and saying, we give up, what the heck, what else have we got to lose.

Aye papi, somebody start keeping track of the number of gay divorces.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

What makes you so interested in gay divorces?

You got me curious.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Ummm, dude... Mardi Gras is a hetero thang.... And if you all are willing to end that, plus wet tee shirt contests, and the like, DEAL! But I seriously doubt it! God, how double standards get to me! Ignorance cubed!

Mardi Gras...have not heard of many straight people attending them, and most of those on display are Drag Queens (homosexual/transsexual males dressing as women). The parades that take place glorify cross-dressing and public displays of sexuality.

I agree with you about Wet T-shirt contests...the difference is Wet T-Shirt Contests aren't publicly funded and shown in the MSM now are they? They happen usually inside private venues or at University campus gatherings. They are very rarely flaunted in the open, at least not in my country.

[edit on 22/12/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Aye Papi

Its Mexico not Puerto Rico

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

What makes you so interested in gay divorces?

You got me curious.

Sorry to disappoint you but there is really no interest in gay marriages or divorces.
The point I was making was this, lots of people are making a big deal about "gay marriage" as if it's something the entire world has been waiting for, as if it's finally going to make the world a utopian society.
Ok fine, they get married, whooptie dooptie, but once the honeymoon is over you can probably expect to see higher divorce rate among gays.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Great on Mexico City!!
I for one never understod the problem with people wanting to do something that affects no-one else but them. My favourite was when the were doing Prop 8 in California and it was overturned because of the sanctity of Marriage and that one person (sorry dont know who) but he introduced a bill proposing to Band Divorce. If the reasoning behind banning Gay Marriage was to preserve marriage than divorce should be eliminated under the same grounds.
Gay people can now marry in Mexico City!!! They are about to see a boost to their economy, Sun, all inclusive drinks, can someone say heyyyyy.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28
They are about to see a boost to their economy.....
... can someone say heyyyyy.

Can you explain why you feel their will be a boost?
I thought "Mexican Economy" was an oxy-moron.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

Mardi Gras...have not heard of many straight people attending them, and most of those on display are Drag Queens (homosexual/transsexual males dressing as women). The parades that take place glorify cross-dressing and public displays of sexuality.

Where are you from, I live in the south and I know more heteros go to Mardi Gras than anyone else, women flashing there boobs everywhere down Bourban street for beads, hetero sexuality is more on display the homo sexuality, go to bourbon street in New Orleans, go to anywhere in any major city and it's everywhere, there's a weekly wet t-shirt contest in the city im from, it's promoted over the radio like you wouldn't believe, they are held in just about every public bar that I know of, that doesn't sound very private.

We get our official celebration once a year in June, big deal, anything else is unofficial and shouldn't include the whole gay community, actually even the official gay pride celebration shouldn't include the whole gay community because half of us aren't even into the whole marching thing or proclaiming our sexuality for all to here, being gay is only a fraction of me, i'd rather talk about more productive things rather than who i sleep with and who i find attractive.

Transsexualism is not a sexuality, it has to do with gender and not feeling right in you own skin, we all stand together as one only because we get denied equal rights and the pursuit of happiness because of some bigoted people who want to make there morals law, the only difference is the religious nuts want to take rights away, we just want them.

[edit on 12/22/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Even though i am christian, i like the thought of this, and i always think one day we all will be one gender.

I for one would welcome a day when males not interested in females, can just live there lifes.

Good on mexico, though i doubt it will be something that will happen quickly all this same sex marriage, and acceptance thing.

[edit on 12/22/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Married couple pay more taxes...

Therefore more married folk paying more taxes equals more money for the government equals better economy.

That and of course all the wedding planners and bad wedding singers ohh an the confeti ofcourse.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I agree with you about Wet T-shirt contests...the difference is Wet T-Shirt Contests aren't publicly funded and shown in the MSM now are they? They happen usually inside private venues or at University campus gatherings. They are very rarely flaunted in the open, at least not in my country.

And Mardi Gras is not publicly funded either... and you are dead wrong about what goes on there... Perhaps you should do just a little research before you start spouting off like you know what you are talking about! IT'S A BIG HETERO PARTY! Like I said before, Ignorance cubed!

NEXT!

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

The point I was making was this, lots of people are making a big deal about "gay marriage" as if it's something the entire world has been waiting for, as if it's finally going to make the world a utopian society.

Really? Everyone's been saying it's going to bring Utopia?

Ok fine, they get married, whooptie dooptie, but once the honeymoon is over you can probably expect to see higher divorce rate among gays.

I have seen more often people look at it the other way: now you can get married, too, so you are cursed, too.

Everyone is getting divorces nowadays.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join