It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imaginary Childhood Friends and Adults who talk to themselves

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Wow, this is the most interesting of threads and definitely some unique takes on the matter. I'll add some of my experiences to this engaging thread:

-When I was very young, and my family and I lived in a particular house, they said I used to play with what I called the "Funny man." Supposedly, I would say his name, and stare into either a corner of the room or look at the corner of the ceiling. A different time in this same house they said I was playing with a balloon, and then the balloon floated away down the stairs, and I said "Funny man." Dude, I find that too be really creepy.

-I talk to myself all the time. It keeps you sane, keeps you regulated. You gotta summon the leader within yourself sometimes, know what I mean?

-I also talk to inanimate objects. I really feel that you can project a part of yourself into objects. Try this with your friends' phones. Pick each one up, and you can feel the different vibes of each person's phone. try it sometime.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
About the electronic objects... I have a weird theory about them and all started when I was sad and my mp3 player just choosed sad songs (it's an old 2gb player, holds around 300+songs, and the sad ones are the fewer)

What if our vibes, call them vibes as themselves, electromagnetism, or whatever, can interact with them? A lot of people fights with their printers when they're late and angry, the PC crashes when you're finishing your work time to time, this weird music player thing... In days when I'm pissed off, my pc never works and crashes time to time, but when I'm calm, it stays calm. Also does the music player, chooses songs that get along with my mood usually (not all the times, but when my feelings are strong)

Ok, weird theory off, it's 6 Am here and i haven't sleep anything...

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Fascinating post! one that i still look into to this day.. im 34. when i was akid my older ssiter was like 7 at the time, i was 4. shed often be heard in her room, laughing andgiggling out loud,a nd my mom would often come in and say "who are yuo talking to? playing with"? My sister would alsways answer, thiers an elf that lives under her bed. This went on for may occassions. One day, my older sister came down stairs crying,a nd had a red mark on her arm. My mom asked her, what happened, she said the elf pinche her hard, and ran back under her bed. To this day, its a vague almost ofrgotten memory to her, but its wierd, ya know?
I had my own imaignination up too about the age of 11. playing and talking like someone was really thier in my room. The wierd thing is, when i was 13, i had played with an ouija board, with a friend. the board, had told us it was jeusu, god, satan, virgin mary, then siad it was a 9 year old boy. I told my mom what the board said, and she asked me where did i learn that? i told her the board told me. turns out, around 1964, a 9 year old boy hung himself right next door to me! house across the street.
Could be my ssiter and i were playig with the boys spirit? my neighborhood has had 3 hangings* over the decaes,w hich is weird too..2 houses down form me, a guy hung himslef around 1985, i was 11 then. wede always go to his backyard firework show on 4th of july. he had depression. A few houses down, even as kid, my mom used to tell me, an older guy hung himslef on top floor. Every july 3rd, i think it is, some claim to have seen his ghost reinact it out.. i never saw it, looking at the window. the house has been totaly renovated 2 times over since.
fascinating post star n flg*

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

If people really believe there is someone there listening or thinks they get conversational answers then I would have to say it's either a mental disorder that has not developed into something more serious or that person is being answered by demons, which the bible tell us talks to us through our thoughts.

No, not necessarily. As I said in my previous post, a person may very well be talking to what is (somewhat ponderously) called their Higher Self. That's why you can get answers, and they are often very good and illuminating answers.

There are tons of nut jobs in mental hospitals locked away that they know with brain scans do have mental disorders

There were, and who knows, maybe still are, tons of people in psychiatric hospitals whose only "anomaly" was their extraordinary IQ and heightened perception of reality. In that sense they sure are ab-normal.
The dangerous ones, however, are the ones who "treat" them.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I just think there is more to life than one really knows, people who hear or talk to voices they personally can only hear are too often catergorized into being nutjobs, having imaginary friends or just thinking out loud.
for some these voices are more real than can be imagined, maybe bought on by some alien or advanced species, a relative that has died or even maybe another soul that has probly lost it's way somehow. telepathy is another higher sence that might be playing a part to some of these individuals hearing these things. talking back is just a way to try and make sence of it all and put oneself in ease or tune oneselves to the control of such thoughts.
As long as there is no harm to be had by hearing or talking back to these voices, the people who hear and talk through their mind are just as "normal' as you or I except that they might percess some extra intuitive ability that is not widely known to others around them or even to themselves .

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by redgy

Well said, Redgy.
Even though I personally do not believe this is about them having extra-sensory abilities - not in most cases, that is - I am more ticked off by those who see it as a problem. What exactly is the problem here? Just people not behaving like they are "supposed" to, according to some unwritten law of this impersonal and highly diseased world?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I contemplate to myself, that's kind of like talking to myself, but it's done for the purposes of trying to understand things, not so much for having a conversation.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Can I ask how all of you 'talk to themselves'? Do you literally address yourself?
I find I'm always talking to someone in my head. It varies over time who the person is. I imagine the other person talking back, but mostly asking questions for clarification.
I used to have a complete imaginary family when I was young. The people I talk to now, do actually exist, but my imaginary relationship with them is quite different than my relationship with them in real life.
To me it feels that 'talking' to someone, helps focus my thoughts. Actually, I wouldn't know 'how' to think, unless it's in the form of a conversation.

I'd love to hear more about it from others!
Almamater from Amsterdam

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by almamater

You do not talk to yourself, lol. You can either verbalise your thoughts,a nd doing this brings something to them. Or you can just think it.

But you do not talk to yourself, as you are you. But every person has opposing thoughts, and if you think something important sometimes you should say it out loud.

I believe some therapy says you should do this. Saying your thoughts out loud, can help you under stress, and its not talking to your self, lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I seen a documentary on this before they called them "Lost Souls". Which was cause by spirits that hung over cracked square doors and when someone who was intoxicated walked through the door the spirit would enter their body. They also note that churches most of knew about this, that's why they have Arch doors so the Lost Soul would roll off. GOOGLE VIDEO

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
So 'thinking out loud' is the same as talking to yourself?

And with 'thinking in silence', do you use a conversational style, like using words as 'you', 'I'?

I'd really like to be inside someone else's mind, even if it's just for 10 minutes, just to find out if the way that person is thinking, and I mean 'the way', not the content, is similar to mine. My thinking is always directed to someone, it's never free floaring thoughts...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
or does he have a spirit that has been with him since childhood? Thats what he thinks.

yep
that's it, exactly
your friend knows this but of course how can he say he KNOWS this when he cannot show you empirical evidence?

i'm not saying that it is any shortcoming in you that brought that about - we all, as humans, put most of our faith in empirical evidence which is a good thing in certain cases. believing in the unseen is also good, in other certain cases.

but i think that the world, in general, needs to learn to trust more in the unseen and the possibility of SPIRIT

we ALL have angels/guides/stars that watch over us and guide us. without exception, we are looked after with love and nurturing.
we just don't all accept the possibility or maybe even consider the possibility on our own, and therefore the lines of communication remain closed.
not because there's no one at the other end but because we don't hear the phone ringing.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by almamater

well, as for me, it's much like the OP's buddy - i've always just had someone with me.
i don't really talk to myself or anyone else
just him
but i have no conceptual idea, WHATSOVER, what "he" might look like
i only say he because he is definitely male in gender (gender applies not just to procreation and sex but also to all forms of energy, as depicted in the yin-yang)

i never thought anything of it until recent years but when i realized it wasn't the same for everyone, i opened my mind up to receiving a whole lot more and i learned a lot

still learning
never lonely

when we talk, i often talk out loud (when alone) just to keep the conversation straight in my mind.
he always answers just before i've got my question framed and phrased. whatever he says comes in right around the last or next to last word from me.

when it is our own mind answering our self back, it is never lightning fast like that.
i know, from other personal metaphysical experiences, that once the mind is freed from the idea of corporal confinement, thought flies faster than the fastest speed of light.
through the highways and synapses of our brain, no thought is that fast.
there is much tissue and fluid between the jump-offs and it keeps speed down in the brain.

not so with MIND
MIND is unbound always

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

I am with you Queen on that there is something that is with us. I do not know how many times I have had a nagging 'gut' intuition to get off the freeway for some water or take a different route or anything in that manner. Once I follow that gut feeling, while driving there will be an accident along the route I was intending to take that would have occurred at about the time I would have originally been at that location.

I cannot explain it, nor do I really wish to have an explanation. I just know that it seems I would be in a different position in life if I never kept an open mind and communication with whatever is 'guiding' me.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

yes!
exactly

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandKitaro777

Your friend's agitated state with the voices could indicate a serious disorder.
If your friend is border-line psychotic, some clinical help might be required.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join