It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"District 9" Speculative Discussion Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

GREAT post.

A few questions...

What if the masters were the same species? Just like the slave traders in human history? How would the humans have known which were the masters and which were the slaves?

Also, what if as slaves, they were completely uneducated and only a few of them had any knowledge? It could take years for those few to teach the others...

Just my perspective and speculation...

Springer...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think when the aliens return they should declare that half alien dude the antichrist and then he should start a war against the illuminati and topple them all, then god will come down and do away with everyone...hahaha

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
For this post I will refer to the aliens as insectoids...and within the context of the film the label of prawn was racially derogatory and so I find it distasteful to call them prawns.

I should not have referred to them as such in my post. However, we never hear what they call themselves. And I think insectoid is just as derogatory; insects are a lower order of animal than man, something we step on and crush without a thought.

Though I suppose that does sum-up our treatment of the aliens. Insect-like.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I absolutely loved this movie as you can see by my avatar.

I was disappointed in the Ending though.. but if hey make a second movie.. hopefully they will pick up where they left off and answer my questions about the end.

This Movie was not your normal sci-fi movie. We do not see too much alien technology but rather see a lot of interpersonal interaction between Man and Alien. I liked that. In the next movie, I hope they can keep this aspect but add more alien technology. Also add more ACTION.

Star Wars would be a Great model if Sony really studies it.

I want to really feel for the Aliens and their plight, provided in the long run they don't turn out to be Evil Aliens.

If they do turn out to be Evil Aliens by lets say mid movie, then I want to really feel for the Humans and see a clear distinction between the races, and why the need to fight the Aliens.. black and white, no gray area. I believe you can do this and still keep interpersonal relationships between the races in the movie during the first half to help create drama and strong emotional attachments to the characters. I find a movie is better if you have clearly defined good guys and bad guys when the shooting starts. I think that is what people want to see.

For example, Look at Independence Day or Aliens.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Originally posted by Springer
What if the masters were the same species? Just like the slave traders in human history? How would the humans have known which were the masters and which were the slaves?

A species enslaving its own would be a great explanation as to why the insectoids seemed so disorientated and uneducated so your hypothesis seems highly plausible and I can only nod in agreement to that because I had overlooked the same race slave hypothesis in my rush to empty my head.

However that said would an enslaved person run back to those who had enslaved him? After a lot of deliberation I think an enslaved person would because the enslaved risks only enslavement rather than dissection and a horrible death at the hands of a people that are not even his species. With that thought I would think I would probably look for help from a slaver too.

Thanks for the brain twist; I had not considered a same species slave relationship at all, I was too focused on the obvious.

Also, what if as slaves, they were completely uneducated and only a few of them had any knowledge? It could take years for those few to teach the others...

I think that with only a few educated among such a huge population that it would take longer than twenty years but I am basing this on a human capacity for learning. The aliens showed a capacity for learning that far exceeded humans – just look at the youngster.

I see your point and twenty years to make the move to get back on board the mother ship could have been a time to educate the interned but then that would mean that the heroes of the film were in fact slavers and in seeing what humans were doing to cargo, there was a change of heart and now a salver felt that he needed to get back home to find help because it is OK for his people to enslave his people but it is not ok for another race to do so?

Whoa getting deep, I knew there was another reason why I loved this film.

Just my perspective and speculation...

Yes thanks for that you totally threw me for a curve

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

However that said would an enslaved person run back to those who had enslaved him?

well, I dont think the one that got away was one of the slaves. He seemed to be one of the few prawns who even had an understanding of how their weaponry worked, and had any idea how to get back to the ship. Certainly seemed to be the only one with a small craft buried under its house. Think of how it treated the other prawn in the beginning who was helping it find discarded alien tech in the scrap heap. It scolded him for finding a piece of human tech. It also seemed to have no intention of bringing anyone but its child with it to the mother ship.

I think springer has the best theory so far, that the prawns were part of some master/slave society. I wouldn't expect it to return, unless there is something they want from this planet which would explain why they were in this part of the galaxy in the first place.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

oh come on, the fact that this was not just a us vs. them alien movie is what made it cool. If the sequel is just some lame war it'll end up being about as dumb as the third matrix movie. I thought there was plenty of action in the first one, more importantly it covered important social issues. Make the sequel smart, not some lame explosion fest, that crap is getting old....been done to death since Rambo in the 80's.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

I agree with you, but I use the term not in the derogatory sense but only as a term of reference meant in sincere terms and without any malice. If an alien with six legs took offence at me calling him or her an insectoid then I would be suitably horrified and would worry about the mandibles or stinger as I profusely apologised.

Just as a bit of information regarding “crushing without thought.” I wanted to be an entomologist when I was younger and I adore insects for their outlandish and colourful beauty to the extent that I will not kill them, and if I have to kill wasps because they have their nest inside my daughters summer house then I do it as quickly as possible and I seriously take no pleasure in it.

My daughters scream at me for help often in summer with demands that I kill the hairy eight legged beast that is glaring at them with intent from the shower. I always take these arachnid stalkers to the garden with a near apologetic expression on my face that really annoys everyone and causes much rolling of the eyes and much sighs lol.

When I was young the incredibly stunning goliath beetles of the Amazon forest used to be worn on my arms like bracelets when I was living in Port Kaituma... Insects and spiders rock me

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

I enjoyed those aspects of it too, and I do not advocate making the whole thing just another war movie. There needs to be a good balance. I think in the long run, they will look at the techniques that bring the most box office draw.

Did you know Hollywood movies are written around proven formulas and they know what works and what does not to get the best return for their investment? We like to think of movies as being written by people who just happen to come up with a great story. It does not work like that at all. That is part of the illusion of movie making.

I learned this and other interesting things years ago when I studied writing screen plays. There are actually set formulas for putting a story together that will maximize the impact of an audience psychologically.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
There is one thing i want to point out. And that are the dates when the movie takes place. I don't exactly remember them, but it is around February-November 2010. Coincidence? When you consider all the fuzz about Disclosure being just right behind the corner/happening in 2010? I think not. In my opinion, D9 is another one of those slow "getting used to" pieces for the general public. Heck, Spielberg worked on this movie and he loves aliens and believes in them...

[edit on 17/12/09 by Cybernet]

[edit on 17/12/09 by Cybernet]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
the directors mentioned a possibility of another movie. But he said hes more interested in doing a prequel.

He's also mentioned a few things about how the ship arrived at earth but i suppose he could change it if he likes. He said it was a mining ship and the aliens picked up some disease on another planet. The leader type aliens all died the ones that survived are worker drones not too smart and aimless without the leaders guidence. The ship went into auto-pilot and navigated to the nearest habitable planet (earth).

i dunno how set in stone that back story is. But the director did say he wanted to do a movie on how the aliens got into that situation.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

LOL, you had to take a class to figure that out?
I do believe there are films out there that don't follow some formula, they just generally aren't mainstream movies, but it doesn't mean they suck, at least not to everyone. I know this movie is big budget and of course will follow some formula, but I just don't want it to be some lame formula. Gimme a movie that makes me think, that shows me something a little different. I think going str8 for the humans versus aliens, even if there is no doubt some cleverness thrown in, would make for a very trite movie experience indeed. This was a pretty good film, I'd rather not see a sequel at all if it was just gonna ruin the series for me.

am I the only one that gets bored seein the same thing over and over?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Now that I think about I agree with pretty much everything you said. Especially the part about the ship being a colony ship carrying just regular citizens going from point "A" to point "B". But for whatever reason, the ship had some unknown anomaly happen to it which caused the vessel to change trajectory. But who knows? Maybe in the grand scheme of things they were meant to travel to earth and populate the surface in some sort of fashion that looked accidental to the locals of the planet.

I wonder if the Insectiods ate the crew and that's why there were no other bodies found? They seem pretty content on eating things when they're hungry or angry.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

I kind of like the idea of a prequel, but would that mean that there's not a single human actor in it? That would be something new then wouldn't it?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

yeah thats what i thought when he said he wanted to do a movie on how they got into that situation. Will there be any humans and will it be all subtitles lol? but i dont mind subs on good movies like Pan’s Labyrinth & fist of legend

[edit on 17-12-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I agree.. a prequel would rock. I want to know how all those poor aliens came to be in that situation and where they came from, who their masters are why they came to earth, ect.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
After seeing D9, I thought this was the best "perspective" to date on what an alien encounter would bring. How ever I felt disconnected from the movie by the fabricated government dept.. They should have used the U.N. instead of making up a knock off.

The militia aspect also bothered me. If you had and event take place that close to a militia zone like it was pertrayed in the movie. I can't help but think that the U.N. as well as other governmets. i.e. the U.S. and Soviets would have CLEARED out the militia zones. As much of a stink as the governmets make of national security if the human race were to be forced into acceptance of other species off this planet then WORLD security would become a front issue, and a para militia would not be allowed to operate any where close to an alien ship.

I just can't picture the world super powers not making sure a buncha militia were not running around shooting at space ships. So that bothered me. I think if they bring in a second film they should vector more on the governments being outted for their testings and treatment of a other world species. I think the fear of what happens upon return could make for a interesting movie. That could set up a 3rd movie where the government had to face it's own fears of dealing with a species that was returning to save the people of this planet to the evils that governments do and lie about.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I would like to see aliens who utilise, the internet like another said.

In the new movie there could be the shrimps, who are hackers. very very god hackers. running alien weapon trade sites, large scale attacks on goverment facilitys, by also recruiting the help of other hacking groups(anonymous, cult of dead cow..)

maybe these hacker aliens with their shrimp-fu, dont live in district 9, maybe they came to earth at different time to other aliens. maybe they only come out at night, covered up with hoody/scarf. maybe not.

You could have these shrimps being chased down like the eviction notices in the first movie. maybe th stroy could be about that.

personally though i likes the original setting of district 9 with the gang culture of the aliens.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A reasonable sequel would include the reversal of roles between the Earthlings and the Visitors. I would like to see them return with larger numbers then the first film. The mothership(s) can hover over the Earth at the north and south poles, where they can immediately build their own colonies - as their skins will be resistant to the cold temperatures of the artic.

Other governments will be upset with this colonization of our planet and may attempt to resort to military retaliation. However that particular region of the world makes it difficult to maintain a battle. Of course, diplomatic measures will be considered prior to any military action. Embargos and air spaces will be contested as the visitors make continuous efforts to gather resources. They will trade their advanced technologies for catfood or other desires, with competing nations.

The so-called "developed" and "advanced" nations of the world that will ultimately become technologically inferior to the others, As the more co-operative nations will reap the benefits first. Oil dependent nations will cease production on traditional oil, as they will quickly modify their refineries to create a new alternative and re-usable fuel from the gas. This NEW source of power, can only be used in conjunction with devices that cooperative nations may receive through trading.

A massive power shift will occur on the planet as certain nations starve their power sources. Our hero (from the first movie) will make an effort to traverse the Earth in an effort to get to one of the poles as a diplomat between races.

Meanwhile, developed nations begin to threaten nuclear, biological and other sinister attacks on the poles if the embargos are not lifted. An unfortunate/fortunate change occurs when the hero begins to shift back into his human form.

and yes, I'd like to be a co-writer.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by patmac]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Return in three years?

2012. that would be.

so what they are are reason people say the myans predcited the world would end?

i think this was implied to be tied into the next movie by the creators.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join