It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ship..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Would you take if you wanted to flee a sit x?If a wall of water were coming your way and you wanted a good ship to flee and live at sea for a couple of years? I have been wracking my brain to figure out what ship would be suitable for survivability in the long terms and able to withstand lots of waves?

I was thinking something like a catamaran or a solar powered boat, I need a decent sized ship because i plan on taking a crew and lots of supplies! I mean of course i would land at port or whatever with the crew once in awhile to restock ect.

Anyway any thoughts? Ideas?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Been thinking about it myself.

Designed an easy to make boat,
here's a model I made of it

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b118a1cc8c6a.jpg[/atsimg]

a semi-submersible, can sail on the water, and anchor under.
Or that's the idea anyhow.

here's the basic measurements

BaseLength 120e-12 *16^8 515mm hydrogen resonance van der walls
HullLength base*7 3607mm
HullBeam HL/3 1203mm
HullHeight HB
HullBeamPoint HL/golden 2229mm (from front)
HullMastPoint HL/golden^2 1378mm ? or ^2 ? 1574
HullBowBeam HL/7 515mm
HullTransomBeam HL/4 902mm
ForeSupportPoint HL/golden^3
ForeSupportBeam 600mm
ForeAka HL/golden^3 851mm
AftAka HL/golden 2229mm

HullForeSide triangle hypoteneus
HullBowSide HBoB/2 258mm
HullBeamSide HBeB/2 601mm
HullTransomSide HTB/2 451mm
ForeSupportSide FSB/2 300mm

AmaLength HL/golden 2229mm
AmaBeam AL/3 743mm
AmaBeamPoint AL/golden^2 851mm
AmaBowBeam AL/4 557mm
AmaTransomBeam AL/7 319mm
AmaSupportPoint AL-AL/golden^3 1703mm
AmaSupportBeam 733mm

AmaBeamSide AB/2 372mm
AmaBowSide ABB/2 279mm
AmaTransomSide ATB/2 160mm

that's enough for one person for a relatively short time,
can increase the size while keeping the same ratios,
20ft is my recommended minimum.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Cats are good designs overall but, give me a sturdy keel boat any day in heavy seas. Here is a helpful site that offers some very cool calculators.

www.sailingusa.info...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
If a wall of water were coming your way and you wanted a good ship to flee and live at sea for a couple of years?

I think if a wall of water were coming at you, it would smash any boat up pretty good. I have pondered this issue myself for some time and this is what I came up with and would implement if I had the kind of money necessary to. It is what I think would be the only possible survivable scenario in a sudden deluge situation such as wall of water or quick rising water.

www.survivalsystemsinternational.com...

These survival capsules are designed for use off of oil platforms, typically in rough weather. They should be able to take some degree of abuse, and can be stocked ahead of time with supplies. They are designed for 21+ people, so unless you are carrying that many, you should be able to keep a good supply to last you.

I figured that it could be rigged up with some sort of sail that could be brought out and installed after any initial rough waters. Which is the biggest survival issue.

To avoid being thrown against a building or side of a mountain, it would initially need to be linked to an anchor point. This point should either have a long roll of chain with some tension to easy being tossed away with a release that could be controlled remotely from inside. These capsules have points on them to attach to lowering cables and to keep them in place.

Now, its not a great idea, but I think it is the only plausible one for survival in the situation you presented. I don't think there are any craft that are regular seagoing vessels that could survive.

I did assume you were either on land or next to the shore, perhaps in a marina. I think if you were out to sea, you would not face the wall of water issue, and in that case any sail boat or solar powered boat big enough to have some supplies should do you just fine.

edit: I forgot to mention that these capsules are self-righting.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Wolf321]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If it was a wall of water coming, and I had the time to prepare, It would surely have to be a sphere. With a good strong hatch, thick enough to withstand bashing about, with enough air inside to keep it bouyant, and a ballast on the "bottom" to keep the top at the top.

Interesting thing to think about.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Didn't you see Waterworld? You need an aircraft carrier.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by craig732]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I don't know if any boat woud be safe to avoid an oncoming giant wave, especially one high enough that would completly destroy whole cities and countrysides.
something that big would most likely be travelling at enormous speeds and being hit with such force and also the pressures of this big a wave would certainly be a demise for those things in it's way.

you would also need to take in account the depths of water and lenght of time under such that will follow, the amount of rubble and debris that would be getting rocketed along with the wave above and below, and then also things such as how much silt/mud will be covering the landscape after the wave has passed.

Also where this wave might reach it's ending by maybe higher ground stopping the flow forward and then the reversal of such waters dragging everything back out many miles into the deep blue yonder.

best place I'd rather be is with two feet placed firmly on the highest ground possible.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by redgy
with two feet placed firmly on the highest ground possible.

Here in Toronto it's pretty nice,
300-400m above sea level,
thousands of kilometers inland.

Boat design I made also to be usable for traveling on ice.
By putting ski's on the keels of hull and outriggers.
As in Canada the waterways freeze up over in the winter.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
As someone who seriously looked into living on a boat, and having one that could take extended trips, which boat to get is really very simple. I’ll break it down into steps for you:

Step1) Find the boat your are interested in. (in my case I wanted a sailboat to save on fuel, and I wanted the biggest boat I could possibly afford since I was going to live on it. Boats get more expensive as they approach 50 foot, then they start to decrease in price… I found out why that is…Slips…)
Step 2) Have the Boat inspected.
Step 3) Find out how outrageous the cost of boat insurance is, especially for a large boat. (Many insurance companies will not even insure a large boat, a wood boat, or a boat over a certain age limit.)
Step 4) Try and apply for a loan on a large, expensive piece of mobile property that can sink, and that you can take out of the country if the bank decides to repossess it.
Step 5) Research the cost of slips per foot, and the cost for a "live in" slip. (Normally, way more then the boat payment + Insurance itself, it is nearly impossible to find a "live in" slip for a boat over 60 feet, and if you do, expect a VERY hefty monthly rent payment)
Step 6) Find out the cost of utilities including such things as water, and pump out service.
Step 7) Find out how much the hull maintenance on a large boat costs (which includes pulling it out to have it painted, have barnacles removed etc).
Step 8) Find out how much it costs to replace canvas and ropes.
Step 9) Find out how much a diesel overhaul costs.
Step 10) Find out how much diesel the boat burns an hour (even sailboats must run on the engine at times), how big the tank is, and how much a fill up costs.
Step 11) Find out what the cost is to equip a boat for extended time at sea (what it costs to generate power, use of solar panels, desalinization equipment, radios, weather radar, etc)
Step 12) Find out the cost and hours involved with getting your captains license.

Step 13) Decide not to buy a boat until after I hit the lottery…

You can bypass some of that stuff if you are adamant about doing this. You can live offshore, and zodiac in for supplies, but even then, the boat has to come in once awhile for certain supplies, and maintenance. You could learn to fix your own engines, clean your own hull, mend your owns ropes and canvas, repair your own electronics, etc., but you will still need to purchase the parts, and it will quickly become a full time job. Wood boats are the absolute worst to try and take care of.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'd maybe take a look at the devices people have gone over Niagra Falls in. I remember at least one guy went over in one and survived. Maybe something similar on a larger scale.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by redgy
I don't know if any boat woud be safe to avoid an oncoming giant wave, especially one high enough that would completly destroy whole cities and countrysides.
something that big would most likely be travelling at enormous speeds and being hit with such force and also the pressures of this big a wave would certainly be a demise for those things in it's way.

It is claimed that if there were a large tidal wave, say from an asteroid impact, one of the safest places to be would actually be out at sea. Obviously not if you are close to the impact point, but if you are just trying to dodge the wave it will pass under you in the deep sea. The wave would not begin to hit the surface until it approached the continental shelf, at which point it starts to crest, and becomes your “wall of water”.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Ok, personally, and in my opinion, I think you are thinking in the wrong direction. If you had a boat, and a large body of water was moving in large enough to swamp major land masses, your boat will not do you much good. Once that much power and force is there and ontop of you, you do understand you become completely helpless to it.

If you are preparing for a Nibiru / 2012 scenario, you have to encorporate land shifting as well. With that said, lets say you have a boat or sphere or something and DO survive. You will be swept out to sea, and you will have no clue how to find land because it might have all moved.

Better scenario? Bug out bag, pack for all climates, get it loaded in a large vehicle (4x4 if possible) and haul to the mountains. Stay away from natural caves unless youy know the rock formation as they can colapse in the earthquakes.

Also prep for high winds, they claim hurricane style, so if you go for the sailboat type (good luck against the wave force) it will cause so much havoc ontop the water that you can lose the canopies or beams. Ocean = enemy in that scenario honestly.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
As mentioned, the only way to survive a tsunami wave like that, in a boat, is to be way out to sea (i.e. away from land or continental shelves)...

The oil rig escape boat is a decent start though, if really wanting to try it...

Personally though, I'd go for a nice Catamaran, mostly due to more flexibility and space on the interior...also, a nice big sail, as well as an engine backup... A rowboat is helpful too. Solar panels would be a great supplement for powering onboard electronics, etc.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
your specs, sounds like you would require a large Barge

on the other hand, there is the famous 'Sharpie',
this 9 meter model seems like a good project i will be undertaking...

link: www.leow.de...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yep... thought of that already.

The family got a nice sail boat last year.
It's easy to move around, you won't believe how much stuff you can store on it, it's a VERY stable boat, and boy is this 'mother' fast on wind!
Five people can easy and comfortably LIVE on this baby.

Here are some specs and drawings:

Some other pictures, from other people's boats (on sale):
Link

It's not that expensive (price of a good car), it's a very tough boat even for the open sea, and has everything you can wish in a house: bedrooms, toilet, shower, kitchen, living room.

Though it's a "sail boat", it has an engine (4 hp), diesel run. There is also solar and wind generator, for all the batteries one might want to have.

I spent a few days on it last month... it was amazing.

Peace

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well what ship you want depends on what you want to do here. For a SHTF type thing you would not want anything you could not handle by yourself. Personally i would get something small with sails. I would try to find an abondoned off shore oil rig to live on and only use the boat to go get supplies. Of course every area has it's nice little places. In the pacific northwest there are islands you could live on and in southern california there are the channel islands you could set up on. Now there were probably be other people there but any place that is out of the way and harder to get to would be more likley to have people just trying to survive, so that means less trouble for you. What i mean people who are out to rob loot and kill probably would do more of that in the city area instead of going to the islands.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I might suggest carrying supplies in 50 gallon plastic containers. You can float these off your boat or even use them under the boat itself. They seem cheep enough to come by and would keep your belongings sealed tight.

new topics

top topics

join