It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL Playoff Picture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
So its getting to that time of the year agian when questions are asked about who is going to make the playoffs.Three teams have clinched their place, and two have pretty much clinched a home field divisional spot. So, Indianapolis and New Orleans will play at home, and Minnesota will too, barring a complete FUBAR for the rest of their season which I cant see happening.

There are a number of teams in contention for the remaining positions, some with better schedules and chances than others. So considering this Ive come up with my predictions for the playoffs (I may have got the format wrong, so let me know if I have

Home team first

Wild Card Round
Cincinnati v Baltimore
New England vs Denver
Philadelphia vs NY Giants
Arizona vs Greenbay

Divisonal Round
Indianapolis vs New England
San Diego vs Cincinnati
New Orleans vs Greenbay
Minnesota vs Philadelphia

Conference
Indianapolis vs San Diego
New Orleans vs Minnesota (tough one between the Viking and Eagles as 2 experienced QB's, but Favre is too good I think, will be close game)

Superbowl
Indianapolis vs New Orleans

Winner
Saints!!!

Ravens have the best chance of any team to make the wildcard round with Chicago, Pittsburgh and Oakland coming up, and the Jags have the toughest which I think will see them just miss out. I think the Dolphins will have the same number of wins as Baltimore but still just miss out, with New England winning the Division. Cincinnati should comfortably make it, as will the Chargers.

On the other side, I think Greenbay will storm through and win their last 3 games making it 8 straight. Arizona will win the division on 10-6 record, and the Giants will just scrape in ahead of Dallas, who arent consitent enough. Atlanta will crash and burn (just like my fantasy team) and lose their next three. There could be an upset if the Eagles and Vikings meet, but its too close to call. I think the Packers will continue there streak into the playoffs, accounting for the Cardinals, but that will end against the Saints.

Saints and Colts will fight it out in the superbowl, both with perfect records (unless they both decide to rest players to prevent injury), and hopefully the Saints will win it

So thats mine

Whats everyone elses predictions so far?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Here is the most recent playoff picture:

AFC
1. (yz*) Indianapolis Colts: 14-0
2. (y) San Diego Chargers: 11-3
3. New England Patriots: 9-5
4. Cincinnati Bengals: 9-5
5. Baltimore Ravens: 8-6
6. Denver Broncos: 8-6

Still Alive
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: 7-7
8. Miami Dolphins: 7-7
9. New York Jets: 7-7
10. Pittsburgh Steelers: 7-7
11. Tennessee Titans: 7-7
12. Houston Texans: 7-7

NFC
1. (yz) New Orleans Saints: 13-1
2. (y) Minnesota Vikings: 11-3
3. (x) Philadelphia Eagles: 10-4
4. (y) Arizona Cardinals: 9-5
5. Green Bay Packers: 9-5
6. Dallas Cowboys: 9-5

Still Alive
7. New York Giants: 8-6

x-clinched playoff berth
y-clinched division title
z-clinched first-round bye
*-clinched home-field advantage

My Prediction

I think the AFC and NFC playoff pictures will remain what they are now. In the AFC, New England and Cincinnati will win their division. However, I think Cincinnati will pull into the #3 spot. Baltimore and Denver will get the wild card spots. San Diego will clinch the other first-round bye. In the NFC, Philadelphia will win their division. Green Bay and Dallas will get the wild card spots. New Orleans will clinch home-field advantage and Minnesota will clinch the other first-round bye.

Wild Card Round

#6 Denver Broncos vs #3 Cincinnati Bengals
#5 Baltimore Ravens vs #4 New England Patriots

Winners: Denver Broncos and New England Patriots

#6 Dallas Cowboys vs #3 Philadelphia Eagles
#5 Green Bay Packers vs #4 Arizona Cardinals

Winners: Philadelphia Eagles and Green Bay Packers

Divisional Round

#6 Denver Broncos vs #1 Indianapolis Colts
#4 New England Patriots vs #2 San Diego Chargers

Winners: Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots

#5 Green Bay Packers vs #1 New Orleans Saints
#3 Philadelphia Eagles vs #2 Minnesota Vikings

Winners: New Orleans Saints and Philadelphia Eagles

Championship Round

#4 New England Patriots vs #1 Indianapolis Colts

AFC Conference Champions: Indianapolis Colts

#3 Philadelphia Eagles vs #1 New Orleans Saints

NFC Conference Champions: New Orleans Saints

Super Bowl

New Orleans Saints vs Indianapolis Colts

2010 Super Bowl Champions: Indianapolis Colts

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
I may have got the format wrong, so let me know if I have

The format is:

Wild Card Round
#6 Seed at #3 Seed
#5 Seed at #4 Seed

Divisional Round
Lowest Seed To Advance at #1 Seed
Second Lowest Seed To Advance at #2 Seed

Championship Round
Divisional Round Winner #1 at Divisional Round Winner #2

Super Bowl
AFC Champion vs NFC Champion

For the Divisional Round, by "Lowest Seed To Advance" I mean the worst seeded team to advance from the Wild Card Round.

The lowest seed to advance will always either be #6, #5, or #4. The #3, even if they advance, cannot play the #1 in the Divisional Round because there will always be a lower seed (either #5 or #4) to advance.

As a result, the second lowest seed to advance will always either be #5, #4, or #3. The #6, even if they advance, cannot play the #2 in the Divisional Round because there will always be a higher seed (either #5 or #4) to advance.

Hope that made sense!

[edit on 12/23/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
2010 Super Bowl Champions: Indianapolis Colts

I certainly like the way you think

The AFC team that worries me the most is the Chargers. Colts went on a run to finish up last season and were beaten by the 8-8 Chargers in Indy in overtime, due in no small measure to a punter who had one of the most incredible punting days ever. Sproles 300+ all-purpose yards didn't hurt.

The Chargers are playing as well as anybody. 16-0 won't mean squat in the playoffs, it's who's hot in December/January. Right now, that looks to be the Chargers.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
AFC Playoffs

1. Indianapolis 15-1
2. Sand Diego 12-4
3. New England 11-5
4. Cincinnati 11-5
5. Baltimore 10-6
6. Tennessee 9-7

Opening Round

6. Tennessee at 3. New England (revenge game
)

5. Baltimore at 4. Cincinnati (another revenge game)

NFC Playoffs

1. New Orleans 14-2
2. Minnesota 12-4
3. Philadelphia 12-4
4. Arizona 10-6
5. Green Bay 11-5
6. Dallas 11-5

Opening Round

6. Dallas at 3. Philadelphia (Yet another revenge game
)

5. Green Bay at 4. Arizona (Week 17 rematch)

All in all this years playoffs should be one of the better ones to date, with a lot of even teams, rematches etc. Also, I wouldn't chalk up a Colts- Saints Super Bowl just yet, we all know how crazy the NFL, especially the playoffs can be.

GO TITANS!

[edit on 12/24/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
6. Tennessee 9-7

You just don't know how to let go, do you?

I'm a huge fan of the Packers but even I know and can admit when I've gone too far.

[edit on 12/24/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

1. Indianapolis 15-1
2. Sand Diego 12-4
3. New England 11-5
4. Cincinnati 11-5
5. Baltimore 10-6
6. Tennessee 9-7

Fail

Opening Round

6. Tennessee at 3. New England (revenge game
)

Epic Fail

GO TITANS!

Double Epic Fail, facepalm, deskface

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

6. Tennessee 9-7

So much for that.

Better luck next year.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

6. Tennessee 9-7

So much for that.

Better luck next year.

ROFL

Well we did warn him

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Can I change my picks?

:bnghd:

Same NFC picks and same 4 top AFC seeds, just Baltimore at 5 and Denver at 6...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This is crazy...

I'm not saying it will, but it could work out so that the four first round playoff games are re-matches of Week 17 games.

In Week 17, these are the match-ups:

New England vs Houston
Cincinnati vs New York Jets
Philadelphia vs Dallas
Green Bay vs Arizona

The NFC first round games will likely be re-matches. In the AFC it's less likely but still possible. If Houston wins and Baltimore and Denver lose, it will be Houston and New York in the playoffs. If New England finishes with that #3 spot that they currently hold, New England would re-play Houston and Cincinnati would re-play New York.

The location of the all the games except the Green Bay-Arizona game would change locations, but it'd still be crazy nonetheless if we had four re-matches from the previous week.

That's something interesting to watch for in Week 17!

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'll play!

I think we are gonna see a superbowl with Indianapolis and New Orleans but I do believe Indy is gonna make a clean sweep

My Packers are in but...well they probably aren't going anywhere :-p

Winner
Saints!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'll make a prediction:

Dallas & San Diego in the Super Bowl. Dallas will redeem themselves by taking home the Lombardi Trophy.

Score:

Dallas 27
San Diego 24

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

God couldn't possibly hate me that much...

I like San Diego, from the AFC; and Minnesota, from the NFC. San Diego to win it all...no hotter team at this point.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

God couldn't possibly hate me that much...

I like San Diego, from the AFC; and Minnesota, from the NFC. San Diego to win it all...no hotter team at this point.

Minnesota MIGHT stand a chance IF the Cowboys lose (unlikely) to the Eagles. If the Cowboys win, then they play next week @ Minnesota. Minnesota's biggest problem this season: their offensive line. The Cowboys greatest strength: their pass rush. Also, Dallas has always had Brett Farve's number...

Favre has played the Dallas Cowboys 11 times as of August 2008. He is 0-9 playing them in Texas Stadium. and 2-0 in Greenbay.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Don't forget, however, that Minnesota has a pretty good little running back...and the O-line to go with it. Were I Minnesota, I'd give my opponants a stiff dose of running to the left...behind McKinney and Hutchinson. Then play action...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I saw this on Inside the NFL a few days ago. The guy that made this did a great job. Watch and enjoy. It's pretty funny too.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Don't forget, however, that Minnesota has a pretty good little running back...and the O-line to go with it. Were I Minnesota, I'd give my opponants a stiff dose of running to the left...behind McKinney and Hutchinson. Then play action...

Wow! I did not expect that outcome, especially with Peterson being a non-factor. Kudos to Minnesota! Now I hope they go all the way...and Favre retires for good. One thing, heck the key thing, that Minnesota did was expose Dallas' offensive line problems...I've seen it all season, but hoped our defense would ramp it up to compensate...much like the Jets defense is doing.

I look forward to next season AND getting involved here on ATS with the weekly picks, etc...

Seagull for calling this game

new topics

top topics

join