It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's first saint in Mary MacKillop days away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Source

THE Vatican is gearing up to give Australia a joyous Christmas celebration, with Blessed Mary MacKillop almost certain to be our first saint within days.

The decision will end decades of lobbying for the canonisation of the woman revered for her tireless work helping children and the needy. Australia's five million Catholics will rejoice at the news, with the sainthood predicted to spark a surge in interest in the Church and faith, particularly in South Australia where Mary co-founded the Sisters of St Joseph.

Right... so what am I missing by not caring about this?

It seems to me like it's nothing more than a boy's club of who getteth the Sainthood...

The Sunday Mail understands Mary MacKillop's second miracle has been cleared by a team of cardinals and bishops, and the final assent from Pope Benedict XVI is just days away.

So, her second miracle has checked out. No worries. It's almost like verifying references for a PhD manuscript. She's been peer reviewed and all is looking good for her graduation.

Where in the article does 'god' get a say?

After progressing beyond the middle ages, all this article shows is that it is impossible to take main stream religion seriously.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Right... so what am I missing by not caring about this?

It seems to me like it's nothing more than a boy's club of who getteth the Sainthood...

The church of Rome just wants more money from the "faithful"

Where in the article does 'god' get a say?

He doesnt

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks
The church of Rome just wants more money from the "faithful"

Yeah, they're poised to sell a few more season membership tickets in Australia once Mary has graduated.

Another occasion to don the fancy robes, display the gold artifacts, burn the incense, hum some mantras and pray to god!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
if you don't care about this OP, why on earth did you bother your backside posting it?!?

catholics believe sainthood is bestowed by god and recognized by the church. obviously it's a boys club, it's the catholic church ffs.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
if you don't care about this OP, why on earth did you bother your backside posting it?!?

I contribute to ATS so other people can be informed, or in this case, misinformed. I probably could have worded the OP better, but I tend not to try and think about religious topics too much. I better not post anymore after this - religion brings out the worst in me.

I didn't miss the part where Australia has five million catholics. No wonder it seems that every other person on the street is somehow kind of 'fake'. Believing that dead people can earn a PhD in sainthood, after a peer review by cardinals, has to be a big reason for that.

(Edit: I also need one more flag before I graduate to a Silver ATS content contributor... You can't get flags unless you start some threads! Hahaha!)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
I better not post anymore after this - religion brings out the worst in me.

how refreshing, most people are totally unaware of the more distasteful aspects of their personalities.

I also need one more flag before I graduate to a Silver ATS content contributor... You can't get flags unless you start some threads! Hahaha!

consider it an early christmas present, do you now feel validated?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Ha! Thanks. Although I don't celebrate, recognise or acknowledge the pseudo religious/retail event that is xmas.

If you really want to give me a present, then I'm looking for a pair of front floor tickets to the Green Day concert either tonight or tomorrow night.

Maybe I should pray to saint mary for some? saint eBay doesn't seem to have any yet... No wait, that's god who delivers on prayers. Damn.

Alright, no more from me. Enjoy the thread, catholics - you're getting another hero soon.

new topics

top topics

join