It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-Growing Christian Churches Crushed in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

LINFEN, China — Towering eight stories over wheat fields, the Golden Lamp Church was built to serve nearly 50,000 worshippers in the gritty heart of China's coal country.

But that was before hundreds of police and hired thugs descended on the mega-church, smashing doors and windows, seizing Bibles and sending dozens of worshipers to hospitals with serious injuries, members and activists say

Today, the church's co-pastors are in jail. The gates to the church complex in the northern province o
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I hope that this never happens here in the USA.
Chine allows christian churches in there country but they are regulated and monitored buy the state at each service. The stated regulated churches are not allowed to preach out of the book of Genesis or the book of Revelations.
Why allow a Christian church but not allow them to preach or even have these to books?

Best regards
The_Tick!

www.foxnews.com

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
with all due respect but its a good thing .. religion stands in the way of progress and china sees that and that is great news.. in the 21 century there is no place for oldschool religion.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkLuitzen

You're 100% incorrect. You let the people decide. You don't go in and force your will and beliefs on them.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkLuitzen

Hmmm... While I can see the thinking behind your opinion , and respect your right to an opinion, I must say that its incredibly nearsighted to say that there is no place in a modern society for old school religions.
First and foremost, its true that religion has played a part in almost every major conflict in history. However it must be remembered that EVERY time that happened, it was because someone either misinterpreted the scripture they were following, or blasphemed by altering it , or twisting its words to suit thier warlord agenda.
The entire religious element of these battles can be seen to have been an unfortunate fraud on the part of those who wanted to make war , not the peace prescribed by all major world religions.
It is not the fault of religion in general that bad things have happened/been made worse for thier input. It is the fault of those who have bastardised those religions, or commited heresies against them by altering them to support thier politics.

Further to this, religious care and attention taken to look after a persons soul can be benificial to that person , and to others around that person . If more folks believed in something, they would have a religious duty to behave themselves in a certain way . Now that doesnt stop a determined person from behaving like a douchebag, but it does mean that those who could in time become harsh and angry , might just get to evolve some love and respect for others. I think you only have to look at the amount of Godless , hateful folks in the world to know that something is missing from these peoples lives. Some people really benifit from the strength and sense of purpose that comes of a belief system, and claiming that it has no place in a world where people are increasingly hostile and antagonistic, is as I said, fairly damned nearsighted.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by TrueBrit]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
with all due respect but its a good thing .. religion stands in the way of progress and china sees that and that is great news.. in the 21 century there is no place for oldschool religion.

pfffft yeah china is just the shining star of progress isn't it? lmfao. same with communist russia.
Control, sometimes under the guise of religion, but always under the guise of deceit, is in the way of "progress".
What is the definition of "progress" nowadays anyways?
It's a sad day when people see the limiting of peole's rights as progressive. I would argue that it's an example of a regression of society as a whole. but that's just me.

Well clearly these guys broke the law. The chinese people haven't overturned their government, thereby agreeing to live by such laws. They have laws like this and crappy living conditions (anyone see the thread not long ago where the chinese photographer took all the pictures of where these people live?) but ultimately their inaction kind of forces them to comply. If you want religion abolished, go live in china i guess!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
TrueBrit & Heyo,
I totally agree with you. I do not see how any form of regression would be a step forward for society.
It should be everyone's wright to make the choice of any faith or belief they want. I may have a Christian faith but I also have a friend who is a follower of the Bihie faith. We totally understand each other and it is fine. Now I see that as a progression in society.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
WoW!!!
Atheism abounds 5 stars for the guy who thinks that you should not have the right to be able to believe how you want. Well then MR. agnostic be thankful that you live in a country that allows you to hold that belief. I have a friend that had to leave his wife and 3 children in Jordan because his own brother was trying to kill him for leaving Islam. His brother came to America till kill him here. We even had to smuggle him out of our town in the trunk of a car to save his life.
So please think again about your views.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Tick

What religion has turned into under it's own watchful eye has led to people realizing what it is. This only applies in western culture though I think. Could we argue that we have an extremely progressive society, a society that has been built on a religious cornerstone? That's probably a whole other thread, but I look at gays/women in western culture, and we have been going in the right direction for some time.
The problems with religion throughout history were that they were simply used to control. Now, we have other forms of control, since in our society religion no longer has the weight it once had to provide tptb with said control. Banning religion is like hosing down a forest fire after it's already burned.
The exception might be the islamic nations, but I believe by'n'large they're coming along and all they need is time.
Ideally, imo, religion should only be the way in which one expresses/expands their spirituality. There is always a place for that in every society.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think they should have that right to relax just like the tooth fairy and Santa. If they want to believe in something man made then what the difference.

Tru

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Tick

www.foxnews.com

LINFEN, China — Towering eight stories over wheat fields, the Golden Lamp Church was built to serve nearly 50,000 worshippers in the gritty heart of China's coal country.

But that was before hundreds of police and hired thugs descended on the mega-church, smashing doors and windows, seizing Bibles and sending dozens of worshipers to hospitals with serious injuries, members and activists say

Today, the church's co-pastors are in jail. The gates to the church complex in the northern province o

How will edgar cayce be right about Christianity now!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Humm,
What did Edgar Cayce say about Christianity?
Could you give a link to an older post?
I do believe that over time even in the USA there will be a guideline for Christianity and anything outside of those guidelines will be shut down and branded as an occult. Those guidelines will be based on political correctness not based on the Bible.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Just another example showing how incredibly frightened the Chinese government is of its people. If they didn't want a Church in the city, officials never should have cleared the big building for construction. It seems to me that this highlights the rising tension between the people who make up China and the people who govern it.

And it's only going to get worse as the income gap between the haves and have nots keeps growing.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
What a silly article... "hired thugs", oooooh, how dramatically evil.

"..members and activists say." ..and "...according to accounts posted online by church members and their allies."

So the sources of this so called story are activists and the internet... lmao...

In reality this article is about "...land disputes.." in China that a few biased people want to believe is about their nutty opinions.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
"it's outrageous!" "it's barbaric!" "they should have this or that right!"

the reality is , it's freakin communist china people! not manhattan.
if the chinese people really wanted to change things they would. there's a billion of them, over 3 times as many chinese as there are americans.
to be honest, i can't feel sorry for a billion people who are being repressed by one government.

if the same thing was happening here in america and only half of us were to rise up against the system with handguns, rifles, and pitchforks we could defeat most of the world's standing armies. that's only 150 million people. half of the chinese is FIVE HUNDRED MILLION. so really...what's stopping them? nothing but their own damn selves that's who.

new topics

top topics

join