It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd sighting over NE Alabama 12/10/09

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
We were on the road tonight, at about 8:35pm, when I noticed a very bright yellowish light in the sky. It was travelling in a straight line, to the NorthEast. It was brighter than anything I had ever seen in orbit. I`m thinking ISS, but need one of you space experts to confirm that for me, or help me figure out what it was.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think there have been multiple posts about similar sightings. Sometimes when I'm outside I see these lights, a pale yellow/white color moving slowly in a straight direction. I've also seen these lights turn off and start flashing red like a normal commercial aircraft too. Not sure why they do it though.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by beaverg
I think there have been multiple posts about similar sightings. Sometimes when I'm outside I see these lights, a pale yellow/white color moving slowly in a straight direction. I've also seen these lights turn off and start flashing red like a normal commercial aircraft too. Not sure why they do it though.

I've also seen these lights turn off and start flashing red like a normal commercial aircraft too. Not sure why they do it though.

flashing red like a normal commercial aircraft too. Not sure why they do it though.

commercial aircraft

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
There were a couple of flashes that looked like aircraft lights, but this was definitely NOT an aircraft. It was moving WAY too fast, and the light wasn`t the right color either.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Zap..ISS just passed over N. Europe about an hour ago.

around LAT 60...I can check orbitron to find any sats. that may have been in view at 8:35PM EST. Not It.

Stand bye a moment...I'll check and get back with you in a moment.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

Thanks! But it would have been CST, not EST. If you use EST it would be 9:35.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I use this www.n2yo.com...

Is there anything better available?

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I used to use that site a lot. Unfortunately I`m on a phone for my internet, so I lose a lot of the good stuff.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

This is the only thing I can see that was possibly in your view. Orbitron says it was eclipsed from view. fast mover..ing N and slightly W ..Thats it so far. It is the 11th brightest in the sky.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

Geeze, I didn`t think that it was this much of a mystery. That`s definitely not it if it was heading West. This one was going West to East.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Sorry for the long time it took. I had to download fresh TLE'S from NORAD for about 6000 sats.

I dont think you would have noticed any Dimmer than this unless it caught a good reflection from a solar panel.

So, Really no Sat that I can tell caused your sighting.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

I appreciate the attempt though. This is the first time I`ve ever seen one from the car. I see quite a few of them from my front porch (very dark area, perfect for seeing them). The "strobe" flashes must have been from the panels.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This is the top 115 sats (by brightness) positions at
0037UTC (8:37PMCST). Unusually sparse overhead at that time.
Good luck and now I want to know what it was. I'll keep an eye on this one.

top topics

join