It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tasers!! Dangerous? Deadly? NO! And here is why...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by ohhwataloser

Coils change the voltage when paired with another coil and alternate current.

When connected to DC current they act in a different way, trust me.

I'm sorry, I just always assume coil just means "the coil", more has to go on in a DC coil like a capacitor (as you said), but they don't act different, still kicks up voltage.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

They do act different. A coil (and by that I mean just the copper coil, with or without the magnetic nucleus, although with the nucleus the effect is much stronger), when connected to a DC current, creates a strong magnetic field.

I don't know if that's because of the change when the current is turned off or because of the way the magnetic charge remains around the coil, when the circuit is closed again, all that magnetic field is turned back into current, a strong current.

At least this is the idea I have of all that I learnt almost 30 years ago, coupled with that extremely strong shock I got by touching the unplugged coil.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
correct, besides tasers are'nt made to do harm to people they were made to briefly shut down all nerve and muscle functions.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by Rooky]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rooky
correct, besides tasers are'nt made to do harm to people they were made to briefly shut down all nerve and muscle functions.

Spot on, you deserve a star for that,
... if you are too young yet to know your heart is the most important muscle in your body.

Tasers are mostly aimed at the chest.
It is impractical to have a weapon you cannot aim at central body mass.
Tasers have long sharp electrodes designed to pierce the skin to a depth of 1/4 to 1 1/4 cm.
When electrodes a piercing the skin over the heart a voltage of only 0.1 milliamp can disrupt heart rhythm, setting up an arrhythmia.
An arrhythmia begun this way and not quickly treated can result in death.

Do you get it yet, Rookie?
Tasers are designed to stop muscle functions.
Your heart is a muscle.
Your heart doesn't restart itself.

If you don't believe me, just hold a taser in front of your own shirt-clad chest, set it to a 30 second pulse, and fire it at yourself. Or if you have a 10 year old, try the same on him or her. Tasering ten year olds has become quite popular with rookies lately.

Somehow I think if anyone tried tasering your little girl old you'd realise that was a threat to her life and quite rightly shoot the bastard.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I'm not quite sure, but by the how specific you were, something is telling me you tried that.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeoplesSoldier
reply to post by darklife

The taser transfers 2.1 mili amps. It takes .1 mili amp to kill a human.

However will it? It all depends on the situation.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by ThePeoplesSoldier]

So your OP is misleading...it should read yes ...Tasers are Deadly"

2nd line

[edit on 18-12-2009 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rooky
I'm not quite sure, but by the how specific you were, something is telling me you tried that.

No.
I can promise you I've never tried tasering your little girl.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Tasers are less-lethal weapons. They *should* be used instead of guns, but are being commonly used instead of physical force, by lazy cops. So we end up with situations where people are committing acts that normally, before tasers, would have been dealt with by a cop physically wrestling someone to the ground, now are ending up with a potentially life-threatening situation, where someone is having dangerous amounts of electricity shot directly into their chest.

Lovely.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

yes it creates a magnetic field, thats how electromagnets work. but as soon as there is no current flow, the magnet field collapses. the magnet field is not turned into current. the current causes the field, as soon as its gone, so is the field. coils can't "charge", batteries and capacitors can tho.

you need another coil to induce voltage onto to get that shock more specifically a coil with a hell of alot more turns in it to kick up 9 volts. if it was dc current, it needs something to make the current pulse to make the field collapse and form again, like a capacitor (which could of held the charge for a short while after being disconnected)

it doesn't matter how much current potential you have, if the voltage can't push it, current isn't going to do crap anyways. my car battery has 810 cranking amps with a full charge. but short of sticking my tounge on both terminals its too low of voltage to do anything.

anyways...

point being, high voltage hurts and has the potential to kill. tasers can be and have been deadly, theres no debate.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by ohhwataloser]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

After thinking more about it I cannot remember if what I connected to the coil was 9V battery or the output of a 12V transformer, but I am sure that I got the shock from the disconnected coil.

And there's no doubt about it in my mind, tasers are not as "less than lethal" as they are supposed to be. If they weren't the maker wouldn't be advising people not to shoot them to the chest, right?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeoplesSoldier
...I just want to show people that they are not as big of a threat as most persive them to be...

The title of your thread indicates that Tazers are not dangerous. That's misleading. I agree that if properly use, they can be effective, however, so can pepper spray, batons, and hand to hand combat. All things you say the tazer can be used instead of.

But like anything else, a Tazer can be and is often misused. Therefore they can be just as dangerous and possibly even deadly. When the Police deptment I worked for first got them, the Chief himself picked one up and accidently shot the officer standing next to him. Imagine if it had been a new firearm. Despite training, accidents and misuse do happen.

But to make a blantant claim that anything is safe, invites arguements. I'd suggest that in future threads, you add "When used properly on healthy individuals..." or something like that.

One final comment. When the dept got the tazers, I noticed that the officers were looking for ANY excuse to use them. It was their new toy. I watched one officer taze a drunk who was sitting in a chair, in booking. Every time he leaned forward and looked like he was trying to get up. Of course, the officer told the drunk, sit down or I'll taze you again. But from my point of view, the drunk was out of it and was not being combative and the officer was that worried about him, he could have just put him in lockdown. For the record, the drunk was tazed 6 times in the span of the 5 minutes that I monitored him from dispatch. I don't know how many times he'd been tazed before arriving.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join