It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange weather ThunderSnow/ so much for global warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
We have a saying here in New Mexico... "If you don't like the the weather, wait a while". Weather here is unpredictable but today is doubly so...

When I got up around three am it was raining, lightly, by four it turned to freezing rain and 50 mph winds kicked up... right now the temps have plumbed and its blowing snow...near blizzard conditions... snow with lighting and thunder!!! Only once in my life do I remember a thundersnow... turned out to be one nasty storm too...

So what happened to global warming? I was so looking forward to sipping lemonade on the back porch today...

to those of you who live east of me look out... this is a bad one...
Local Radar Map

[edit on 8-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Good luck and try to stay warm! This storm is supposed to be a doozy and dump up to 3 feet of snow across the plains states. I believe it is going to head out through the Great Lakes towards Canada by end of day Wednesday.

Power outages, blown roofs, 40 - 60mph winds.....brrrr....

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

It's still to dark out here for a cam feed but here's one from up north in santa fe
Live Cam feed Santa Fe Plazza it the wind wasnt blowing so hard I'd go make a snowman...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
heres a vid of thundersnow

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
wow that's amazing.
i thought alberta weather was messed up, but snow and lightning? Never heard of it.
ty for the vid.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
We get at least one snow storm with lighting and thunder here a year.

They're my favorite sort of storm. About as surreal as reality can get.

Nothing like that ornagey fresh snow glow then a quick glare of blue from lighting in the distance and a loud "brrrrooooommmmm" behind gently falling snow.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I can picture this type of weather in warmer temperatures, with hail/sun/rain, but lightning and snow? It even feels weird typing it.
There's just something about watching a crazy storm go on from your kitchen while sippin' on a coffee.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well the storm looks awesome, im in Soutehrn Ontario right inbetween the lakes and im told we are gonna have a beauty from the lake affect. Your video is pretty funny considering its new mexico, they are calling for 20 cm here which i hope its alot more cause 20 cm wont shut down Dickie D men and i dont wanna go into work. (im not a dickie D guy for the record)
I am pretty sure you were just being fascist when you asked about global warming so i wont address it. If you were serious though im worried.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

I can picture this type of weather in warmer temperatures, with hail/sun/rain, but lightning and snow? It even feels weird typing it.
There's just something about watching a crazy storm go on from your kitchen while sippin' on a coffee.

Ive seen lighting and snow a few times, but i agree sitting and sipping a warm drink (possibly smoking something) while watching any storm is the greatest thing. Especially when you can watch it roll in from a distance.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What happened to the Paradox theory associated with Global warming? What I'm refering to is in Whitley Strieber's book the Coming Superstorm he theorizes that as the Earth warms, more water is evaporated from the earth that causes more violent and extreme weather patterns eventually leading us into another Ice Age. Everytime someone says "So much for global warming" I think of this.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by The Undertaker]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Remember what I said about if you don't like the weather wait a while...

well here is an hour and half later the suns out snows melting fast we still have a biting wind that just cuts right threw a light jacket... we might get a little more today? hard to say but you folks east of me look out..

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

Yeah my "So much for global Warming" was a tongue in cheek statement.
yes we do get snow here and a lot of it. mostly up in the mountains. anytime we get snow in Albuquerque proper is a rare news worthy event but we do get it normally in Feb.

But this ThunderSnow is not only different it's creepy... I dont know how to explain it other than saying... this storm feels wrong...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28

Originally posted by heyo

Ive seen lighting and snow a few times, but i agree sitting and sipping a warm drink (possibly smoking something) while watching any storm is the greatest thing. Especially when you can watch it roll in from a distance.

yeah. I can't imagine a better example than calgary. We used to see them coming hours in advance....
"roll up!!"

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Peculiar weather indeed. I was awakened this early AM by the thunder and Hail over here on the west side of the Rio Grande.

Very little snow but lots of hail still on the ground and icy roads.

Thanks for the video Db.

S&F

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
We have a saying here in New Mexico... "If you don't like the the weather, wait a while". Weather here is unpredictable but today is doubly so...

When I got up around three am it was raining, lightly, by four it turned to freezing rain and 50 mph winds kicked up... right now the temps have plumbed and its blowing snow...near blizzard conditions... snow with lighting and thunder!!! Only once in my life do I remember a thundersnow... turned out to be one nasty storm too...

i'm tellin' ya!

i live in Carlsbad...we had TWO snowfalls last week...first one at least 2" and then 2 days later, another 1" at least

the first snow hadn't even melted and it snowed again!

for my neck of the wilderness, that is UNHEARD of.
at least in my lifetime, that is.
my mom has lived in NM all her 84 years and can't recall a precedent.

most years it doesn't even snow twice ALL WINTER, much less in the same week
and when it snows, it's gone by nightfall, usually
yesterday, running around town, i spied snow on rooftops, still!

it's been steadily cooler in the summers here, with more moisture
but the winters had remained mild until this year

and now, the wind picked up and it's really blowing hard
i guess i'd better just sing "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
We are freezing here in formerly sunny California. Record breaking temps. even rumors of snow in places it has never snowed before. At least not in recent history. Can't vouch for a lack of snow in the previous ice age.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
What a diff a few hours makes... snows all melted here still cold but up 37f... were still getting these odd big gusts but it's pretty much blown by us now... would love the hear what others are going through right now.. somebody is getting hammered right now

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I feel like a broken record. Just because you witness colder temps in your area, does not mean the globe isnt getting warmer.

Try to look beyond your own little corner.

And, as Ive said so many times-it isnt global warming. It is global climate change.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

We used to live in OK. One winter in Jan or Feb in the 1990s we had driving snow fall and thunder & lightening that could put all but the worst storms in the Spring to shame. I just laid back in the bed and listened to the noise. A couple of days later the weatherman gave us a rundown of the conditions that cause such a thunder snow storm. We have since moved back east and one day the weatherman here started to explain how thunder & lightening are in snow storms. Even now I marvel at that almost unique storm. OK has great storm weather. The NOAA is located in Norman, OK, and they track all weather in the US. Weather is really an exceptional event that has remarkable effects on us.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I've seen this phenomenon in the Whitney Canyon area of southwestern Wyoming. It is very common actually but that doesn't make it any less amazing. It's kind of scary when you are on the top of a mountain though. Not really much choice but to be the tallest thing around.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join