It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update: YOUTUBE and GOOGLE won't auto-fill/suggest the keywords "climategate" and "climate gate

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

in the NEWS arena.

Why would the news be frequently talking about boobs?

by nit picking information you are able to alter the truth.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
in my google search bare in ff3, i type in climate it then auto fills to climate-gate.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yeah.... no auto-complete here.

And on google too?

Hmmmmm

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
coming from someone who builds web-applications and has implemented auto-complete controls, I don't think you have a full understanding of how this works.

The list doesn't magically include recently or commonly-typed keywords or phrases (unless coded to do so).

When X amount of letters is entered into a the textbox control, a call is made to a webservice (think of it as a person listening). This call contains the typed letters which the webservice then grabs a dictionary and builds a list of works which match what they were given. This list is then returned to the control that made the call and the list of suggestions is presented.

Where this dictionary comes from and how it's populated is flexible. Some can be dynamically maintained based on frequent searches, common word-pairs and manual intervention.

Before I'd jump up and down claiming "OMG there senseoring me!!1", try to understand the logic of what's going on behind the scenes.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by TXRabbit]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

thats exactly how i thought it worked....

same as a lot of posters here i imagine.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Climate-Gate is often hyphenated, hence the results:

Obama Ignores 'Climate-Gate' in Revising Copenhagen Plans

www.foxnews.com...

'Climate-Gate' Scandal Should Be Wake-Up Call For Press, Politicians

www.investors.com...

Climate-gate gets worse

johnrlott.blogspot.com...

No Hole in the Blogosphere: Tracking Climate-Gate

corner.nationalreview.com...

Climate-Gate: Hacked Emails Set Blogosphere on Fire (Updated/Corrected)

mindbodypolitic.com...

A Brief Summary of Climate-Gate

www.verumserum.com...

Why are all of these sites including Fox News hyphenating it? They must be part of the conspiracy!

spooky.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
coming from someone who builds web-applications and has implemented auto-complete controls, I don't think you have a full understanding of how this works.

The list doesn't magically include recently or commonly-typed keywords or phrases (unless coded to do so).

When X amount of letters is entered into a the textbox control, a call is made to a webservice (think of it as a person listening). This call contains the typed letters which the webservice then grabs a dictionary and builds a list of works which match what they were given. This list is then returned to the control that made the call and the list of suggestions is presented.

Where this dictionary comes from and how it's populated is flexible. Some can be dynamically maintained based on frequent searches, common word-pairs and manual intervention.

Before I'd jump up and down claiming "OMG there senseoring me!!1", try to understand the logic of what's going on behind the scenes.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by TXRabbit]

Even the data from a simple Adwords research tool shows NO DATA or non sufficient data for the very (now ) common search terms "climategate", "climate gate" or "climate-gate"....

Whoever said the hyphenated version shows up, should try my Google search... NOTHING.

Now, being that the words "cliamate" and "gate" are what is termed as "general" keywords...them not showing up in search would be an obvious blunder.

"climategate" and "climate-gate" are called niche, specific, or detailed keywords....

Those keywords are pretty "new" to the scene as they were only really invented and relevant this month. So I can give Google and Youtube the benefit of the doubt that the "call" was not made to add it to the list/dictionary.

But statistics wise, the information about relevancy and web usage would be available and judging from the NUMEROUS threads, videos, blogs, and articles on the net, the keywords relevancy would be OVERWHELMING for the weekly reports on Google analytics.

THe problem I have is that the words although new to the scene should have been added to the recognition, or that is what I assume, and that's maybe where I'm wrong.

But I have seen Google add minor irrelevant crap, in faster time, to it's queue for auto-fill and suggestion.

You're saying it's crawlers wouldn't have jumped all over the specific terms by now, and populate the lists with it.

Sorry man, that's where I kinda call bull#. Even Yahoo added "climate gate", Bing has "climate-gate", Alta- Vista has "climategate"and "climate gate"

Yet Google and YOUTUBE........ZILCHO?

Jus sayin...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

Originally posted by Prove_It_NOW

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
thread fail.

it works on a most searched basis. if not alot of people are searching for climategate it will not autofill it.

try it with any random search.

LOGIC FAIL! "IF NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SEARCHING"?

Hello, it's one of the most typed words of this month. That's my point. Why did you insert such a nitwit drive by post? Do you have anything relevant to contribute?

Christ man, are you even conscious and breathing?

see i was trying to be helpful. but your an idiot.

wanna see how bad you are?

www.google.com...

it barely there. cheese is more searched then it.

btw who the hell searches for cheese so much?

just because you think its the most talked about doesn't make it true.

i see your response now "its Google obviously they are...."

shut up. its clear from your posts you have no idea how search suggestions or Google works.

so how about until you can prove its the most searched word, you just sit in your corner and think about what you've done.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Doc Tesla]

No my tiny friend with big heart....

YOU have no F'in clue what the hell you're attempting to ramble incoherently about.

CHEESE=GENERAL TERM

WATER= ALSO

ROCKS, BEER, FOOD, PEOPLE, GIRL

Of course those are more searched, the big DUH moment.

"climate gate" and "climategate" are specific...what we call "niche". Only it's not so NICHE in the sheer volume it's being discussed globally. If you want to make believe it's not a "hot" keyword, do so.

In comparison to monthly stats for CHEESE, it's going to pale in comparison.

And you link me to "Google Trends"???? ..I need to take a nap after that one.

Sit in my corner? Childhood flashback fail?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Prove_It_NOW

you have failed to state anything.

you rambled on about rocks and water and other bull#. but you have yet to prove me wrong.

i proved to you that climate gate is not a "hot" word that you have tried to daringly to convince everyone that it was.

you have my facts.

wheres yours?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join