It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Chase.com been hacked into?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I just got an email from my mortgage company saying I am being charged a late fee for this months mortgage payment, which isn't due yet. Then within the next 5 min. I rec'd another email from chase thanking me for my recent payment of ($ USD) 50,061.85. When I got the first email, I logged into my chase account to see what was going on, and the second email came in. Anyone else get any weird emails from chase? Is this a computer glitch or have they been hacked into, and my account is unsafe? I'm getting a little freaked out now. And, no, I didn't make a 50k payment anytime recently.

Please move this if it's in the wrong forum.

If anyone one else has had this happen please post. By the way, the email contained the last four digits on my account.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

It may have been a phishing email, it may have been a hiccup. You need to contact the bank and talk it over with them asap.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I checked the source of the emails I rec'd against another email I rec'd from chase last month and I didn't see any obvious signs that it was a phishing email. Even the link on the emails leads to chase.com . I'm really worried now. I am going to call the bank first thing in the morning.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Are you sure the link leads to Chase?
Some phishing emails will lead to a fake page that's been created to gather a person's info.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

if somebody went into my acct and paid 50,000 towards my loan i would keep my mouth shut and reap the benefits!

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Chase has a pretty sophisticated online banking platform. It's top-notch in terms of security compared to the rest of the industry. Nevertheless, this original post is very, very strange. I agree - Contact the bank and see what happened.

Don't turn a blind eye - If someone made a payment for you, someone might be laundering money through your account, or who knows what else is going on.

It's possible some hacker stole your user ID and password, and is using your account for nefarious purposes. Document everything - every phone call to the bank, and every correspondence (letters, etc.). These are strange times we're living in, and nothing should surprise you anymore. I am sure there are not a few hackers that would be quite content to move money around using your account as a front. Get some answers from the bank - and fast.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Be sure you're typing in the full link, it's https not just http.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
OK, We have a Facebook group started, the Email was real there are others that have gotten it. It is just now starting to spread around.

www.facebook.com...

Then there is
forums.clubsi.com...

Where I first Found it..

I bet this to be on the news tomorrow. I am diging the net looking for others also..

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Chase Hater]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I am 100% sure they got hacked. My last 4 of account numbers where correct. This issue is going to be major tomorrow.

They had my payment amount for 38,955.96 (I wish)

Could be Santa you think?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chase Hater

Registered today, with the name "Chase-hater"...good show!

I'm watching.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I had to register to post....
Seemed like a good name...

I googled "chase email "recent payment" and found this post. Also the others above.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Chase Hater]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chase Hater

Hey, no worries.

I'm just watching!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Just logged into the chase site and everything was fine.

So I am guessing maybe a glitch?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Whenever you get an email such as this that seems odd, first go to the web site MANUALLY (i.e. DO NOT click the links in the email) to verify the information. If the information does not hold up, get the full header information from the email... Each mail system has a differant way of getting the information. It looks like this:

If you look through there, you will see that Chase sends out their emails with an authentication token that people like Yahoo mail can validate as being genuinely from Chase. You can also see what server actually sent the email.. in this case alerts.Chase.com and who validated the identity of the server (imhvj2.jpmchase.com). If your email doesn't show that the message originated from a genuine Chase server, then it is a phishing email. If you clicked the links, someone (potentially) now has your username and password and can transfer the money from your bank account to theirs.

If it does show the correct information, then yeah, most likely it was an error that was corrected.

From Chase Wed Dec 2 13:21:32 2009
X-Apparently-To: [email protected] via 67.195.15.140; Wed, 02 Dec 2009 05:22:35 -0800
Return-Path:
X-YMailISG: lVZAAWgWLDsn2_[truncated due to being really long string]--
X-Originating-IP: [159.53.110.149]
Authentication-Results: mta102.mail.sp2.yahoo.com from=alerts.Chase.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=alerts.Chase.com; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO jpmchase.com) (159.53.110.149)
by mta102.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 02 Dec 2009 05:22:35 -0800
Received: from ([155.180.253.192])
by imhvj2.jpmchase.com with ESMTP with TLS id 80CHCH1.114466672;
Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:21:32 -0500
Received: from cig4s366z1 (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by cig4s366z1.svr.bankone.net (8.13.8+Sun/8.14.3) with ESMTP id nB2DLWOQ005784
for ; Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:21:32 -0500 (EST)
Message-ID:
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:21:32 -0500 (EST)
To: [email protected]
Subject: Your Daily Account Summary Alert From Chase
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO646-US
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Length: 3452

[edit on 12-7-2009 by rogerstigers]

[edit on 12-7-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I just got off the phone with Chase after an unusual 20 min hold time. They said the emails were sent by Chase and that it was a system error.

I know mistakes happen, but darn! What also irritates me is that I sent 2 emails to [email protected] and 2 emails to [email protected] and I never got an automated reply back. So far, I have not rec'd anything through email to informing me this was a mistake. Wonder how long it's going to take? I would think they would send something asap to all their customers who rec'd these emails. I know I'm not the only one... lots of people on hold for 20 min. asking about these emails.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

that wasnt very smart, now your email address can be harvested and you just signed up for crap loads of spam. this site is searchable through google.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm just posting this update. I rec'd an email from Chase a day after the weird emails I rec'd.

Dear Valued Customer:

We're writing to let you know you received an Account Alert on 12/06/09 that contained inaccurate information about your mortgage payment. Please disregard the Alert, and accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused.

If you have any questions about this message or your mortgage account, feel free to call us at 1-800-848-9136. Our service representatives are available to help you Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 9 PM Eastern time, and on Saturday from 8 AM to 5 PM Eastern time.

Thank you for your business. We look forward to continuing to serve you.

Sincerely,

Alexander Krantz
Senior Vice President
Customer Care

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
reply to post by rogerstigers

that wasnt very smart, now your email address can be harvested and you just signed up for crap loads of spam. this site is searchable through google.

LOL.. I thought about that, but my email address is *already* out there. Spam happens. I ignore it.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If this was a breach of security you probably won't hear anything, at least officially. Banks are extremely sensitive to leaking security issues to the media and for good reason, especially given the current economic state of affairs. Their platform is built on trust and they simply cannot afford for their reputations to become tarnished.

It sounds like your satisfied with their response and hopefully everything is in order for you.

brill

[edit on 9-12-2009 by brill]

top topics

join