It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Purple Drank' a street drug now marketed to children!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

thanks, this issue now makes sence to me (and that episode of south park). i've never heard of DXM. i did a quick search on google and it seems to be of little legitimate use in cough syrup, it only has a slight suppressant effect in adults and none in children.

i'ld love to get an estimation of the proportion of sales that are based on the content of DXM.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

You are joking, right? Surely.

Codeine is an opiate. A derivative of morphine. It's a controlled substance for these reasons, and illegal without a prescription. It is highly addictive.

Now, do you still think this is "okay" for children to take this for recreational purposes? "At least they are deluting it".

You are highly lacking either in information concerning opiates, or child developmental health issues, including physical, emotional, and psychological.

[edit on 11/30/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
To echo what someone said before, this mixture using promethazine is at least a decade old. The kiddies now like to use hydromet (couph syrup with hydrocodone) in the mixture if they can get their hands on it.

IMHO it IS a very dangerous mixture expecialy when combined with alcohol as many are doing these days. Highly addictive and the effects of using it can be VERY intense. Promethazine and Hydromet are very easy to get because doctors hand them out like candy when you show up with a sore throat with congestion.

On a side note to those crying about the kids seeing this thread and learning how to make it. The kids probably already know how to make it. Those seeking to find out how to make it are most certainly not coming to ATS, they go to YouTube, or most likely to their friends.

The arguement of "The kids will see it so don't talk about it!" is as poor as they come. Intelligent discussion should not be sidelined to "protect the kids". Intelligent discussion should be made to assist others in protecting THEIR kids.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Okay you're right...but more right then you think

Codeine is an opiate
It is not however a derivative of morphine.

Codeine sits side by side with morphine as alkaloids within the raw opium extracted from the opium flower.

*heroin is the derivative of morphine

[edit on 30-11-2009 by silver tongue devil]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
i think this should be placed right up there with the same reasonings that are used to make most drugs illegal.

remember when they made marijuana illegal because it was "the most violent drug on the earth" or because "it causes white women to seek intercorse with negros" of how about" it is a plague amongst the degenerate races" or maybe you should see marijuana madness and all the extreme jump to conclusion non-facts that are thrown out there. listen to what you said!!! because rappers are using it? or black hip hop culture?? wow, way to bring logical arguments into it.

"Drank" is just one of the latest pushes in legal drugs. there are many out there. salvia divinorum, spice, the soda called "blow" "drank" "lean"...

they all contain legal substances and or in legal amounts and can be purchased in local shops or online. there is nothing illegal about it.

and as far as the children go...

if you dont want your child experimenting with mind altering substances, then stand up, be a parent, and get involved with your childs life. if that means living a step or two below your current means to have more time at home, then isnt your child's well being worth it? if you are not willing to stay at home more to protect your child, then yu really dont have a say in what he/she does. if they want to go to the convenient store and grab a can of "drank" they are going to.

and by the by, there is a big difference in someone mixing codeine and sprite, and someone drinking a can of "drank". drank is legal and can be bought at a store. codeine you need a script for.

get smart plizeez

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
How is it marketed to children?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The pressure is on the PTB to drug the world's kids so the kids will be too drugged out to revolt.

Bravo, PTB, bravo. They've found a way to do it legally.

Purple Drank will make Cola look like water.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Click on this link and watch the embeded video, it interviews a teen that pops and drinks cough syrup with DXM:

www.webmd.com...

When exceeding label-specified maximum dosages, dextromethorphan acts as a dissociative psychedelic drug. Its mechanism of action is as an NMDA receptor antagonist, producing effects similar to those of the controlled substances ketamine and phencyclidine (PCP)

Further reading on DXM:
www.erowid.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by King_John

Here is one example (I hope you looked over my previous video and links) of how it's marketed to children. Robitussin cough syrup for children :

www.robitussin.com...#

Click the 'Product Labeling' and notice how even in their 'Children' version there is DXM. Many companies make cough syrup, and many for children. They usually contain DXM.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Whatever happen to good old fashion lsd? Now kids get high this way... I mean i'm all for altered states of consciousness, such is the spice of life but "robo-frying" is no means of doing it.

Kids are just seeking alternatives to reality, and without that most of our artistic expression would be mundane and dull.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Not a good idea to put prescription codeine cough syrups in the same general "box" as dextromethorphan OTC products.

The whole Purple Drank craze is all about *codeine* cough syrups which are usually colored purple and taste sugary and somewhat palatable which is one of the reasons it's easy to abuse. Codeine is in the opiate pain killer category.
People aren't using Codeine to trip, they are using it for the pain killing effects and euphoria that class of drugs is known to have in higher doses than recommended.

Dextromethorphan (also commonly nicknamed DXM) is a cough suppressant that when used in higher than recommended doses can cause dissociative effects much like ketamine and nitrous oxide (N2O) does. Most people do not like the effects of dissociative drugs and those who do usually use them with caution. Even if someone got the bright idea to mix OTC cough syrup with sprite or whatever they are gonna have one heck of a time getting that nasty tasting stuff down compared to codeine syrups

However fatal overdoses on dissociatives is hardly as common as ODs and addiction with opiates/downers like Codeine.

Usually it's the other drugs that are mixed with either DXM or Codeine that cause fatalities when people drink more than they should. Common additives are drugs like APAP (acetaminophen) which can cause severe liver damage in overdoses, and promethazine which can cause respiratory depression, just to name a few.

Anyways just figured I should chime in on the difference between the OTC cough suppressants and the prescription one since there is a major difference between the two and there is a good reason Codeine is prescription only today.
What makes me wonder is how these kids are getting hold of prescription codeine so easily. Sure parents may have an old codeine bottle laying around, but they make it sound like the stuff can just be purchased like candy which I highly doubt is the case.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Wow. Does time stand still or something? This was "breaking news" when I was in junior high about 20 years ago.

Seems like everything associated with this crack-head worshiping cult that is the world of "hip-hop" has been at a drink yourself stupid while holding up your XXXXXL pants with one hand plateau for a lifetime now. And the kids are still doing it and the parents are still shocked and amazed even though the parents who are parents now had peers and acquaintances who were doing this very thing not that long ago. Maybe too much sizzurp rotted your brains away so you cant remember?

The brands the kids are wearing may have changed but everything else is identical.

I grow tired of this stale hip-hop club. Cant wait to see the whole white trash thing make a comeback with Miley Cyrus's studded stretch pants and her fathers mullet leading the way. Then we can all pretend to be shocked that kids are getting high off of Claritin.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

Actually, codeine shares chemical compounds in common with morphine, and is converted to morphine in the human liver (in vivo).

It is a weaker form of morhine, and consequently not as addictive.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
You can barely compare codeine to Heroin or Morphine. Codeine can be bought OTC in many countries. I am well aware of Dj. Screw and what the drink is all about. I can assure you though what is talked about in this OP has nothing to do with DXM. Robo tripping is something completely different.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
what do you think thwe flaming moe was:

talk about marketing to kids

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cannibalman

LOL! When I was in Australia I noticed that. Talk about hilarious to me! All these islanders or white Aussies running around acting like straight brothers from the hood. Cracked me up.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Has anyone here actually read what is in this "Drank"?
Source: The Consumerist

Ingredients Drank contains several roll-slowing supplements: valerian root, melatonin, and rose hips. Oh, and lots of high-fructose corn syrup. My fiancee is getting a Pharm.D., and she helpfully went on Lexi-Comp to check these ingredients out. What follows is not medical advice, and may not be entirely accurate, as I was leaning pretty hard while I took notes on what she was saying. Valerian Root: Used for restlessness and sleep disorders. The effect is in the same class (anxiolytic) as Xanax and Valium, but considerably weaker. Valerian root is what the doctor in Fight Club advised Tyler Durden to chew when he couldn't sleep. Taking it with alcohol increases the "risk" of sedation. Seems pretty legitimate. Melatonin: We release melatonin throughout the day, and supplements may help regulate deficiencies that might occur from jet lag or other sleep disorders. My fiancee says, "Some study found that melatonin gives you a rash on your junk, and it took 10 days to go away." Apparently the proper medical term for this is "fixed drug eruption." Rose hips: Rose hips are pretty much worthless, but they contain a lot of vitamin C and may help prevent urinary tract infections, which is a common affliction among certified gangstas.

Hmmm... Don't see any codeine in there. This is no worse than some of the energy drinks that they sell. Would have I have my kid drink it... Hell no... but then again what is caffeine?

In addition... there is no ingredients that you would see in cough medicine. Be sure to read to the end of the article.

This is being marketed all around the St. Louis area... (Missouri/Midwest) I tried on myself... and the only thing that happened what I got tired.

Look before you leap...

[edit on 12/4/2009 by x2Strongx]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thanks to the OP for the information, while I don't have children in school age anymore and I don't have grandchildren yet, this information is very useful.

Now remember young parents out there, that you are the ones with the medicine cabinets full of stuff that can get in the hands of the young ones this days.

Our children are our most precious resources, is up to the parents to keep them safe.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
this is quite old actually..or has been around for some time...

I remember going to parties even 2-3 years ago and it was becoming normal then, in the suburbs for this stuff to be around...

It's stupid anyways.....I've never done it but been around people who have and it's like they are in their own leaning world.....not anything crazy but they are just real mellow...

Not exactly the feeling I want when trying to socialize.....

Kids think it's cool because famous people do it and people rap about it.....

Kids are a lot more dumb in a way then me or my age group ever was at 14,15,16....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join