It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Purple Drank' a street drug now marketed to children!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

I just wanted to respond to the "music isn't that much of an influence" part of your arguement. I beg to differ. As stated in my last post about my boyfriends 15 year old daughter and her postings on facebook about alcohol and drugs.....well she is one of those "followers". No personality of her own. She is the prime target of these types of songs that promote drug use. I'm not saying that all children hear a song about drugs and run right out and start experimenting, but I am saying that for some, like her, she might be more apt to do so, in order to "be cool". I mean come on, how do you think people of our age (37 for me) became smokers? Because we saw the ads and others doing it and thought it was cool. Granted there are no songs on the radio saying, smoke that cig.........no it's drink that drank, do those drugs, eff that ho. You see, young children are impressionable. Especially the ones whose parents are on a mental break from parenting.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
When I was in Highschool, almost everyone knew what almost every different drug was, and this was a typical suburban area. That was a few years ago, but when I talk to my neighboors about HS and stuff, they tell me about stuff that Ive never even heard of. Drugs called "2-ci" or some kind of name like that. Its just mind boggling about how fast new things can come out and the youth will be all over it.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

Oh yes, I agree, that most of us have done at least pot in our youth, and we would be hypocrites or liars to say otherwise. I am just saying, for those that are so "outraged" about this "new drug" that's hitting the streets, maybe they should take more time to be involved in their childrens lives. Wether it helps or not is unknown. But at the very least, you are still closer to your kids by being there.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

i completely agree with your entire response. you should look out for them but also accept that you can not and should not protect them from everything

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This is the least potent opiate you can possibly get. The worst thing about this is that people that really like it will soon be diving in medicine cabinets for vicodin, then your percecet, then when they start the oxycontin things are really looking bad. Codeine is not that dangerous really, don't get me wrong you can OD on it but there is a ceiling to how much you can take before you stop getting high.

The worst part is when kids start taking pills, they usually have no idea how much APAP they are putting in their bodies along with the drugs, that does more damage to your body then the actual opiates. I can speak with first hand knowledge these are not drugs you want your children taking. If you have prescriptions please hide them.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The trend in opiates is not a good one.

The war on drugs is of course responsible for people turning to cabinets for some sort of high but that goes without saying.

People tend to stick to the class of drugs they start with.

Huffers tend to go up the ladder to Coke or Meth

Pot smokers will go with relatively benign even positive psychedelics like Lsd and Mushrooms

And Opiate users will usually stay with other Opiates Muscle relaxers, Maybe heroin later on...

So it's just not a good kick...

Not that i condone anything underage, but Alcohol or MJ like a normal teenager would be allot less dangerous in the long run.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

From Wikipedia
ts main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine.

containing codeine. not Codeine. if they were taking just the codeine tabs (which btw they are have no doubt about that.) it would be worse.

so they take the diluted codeine and dilute it more with fizzy drinks and you end up with a sugar high with a nice light headed feeling.

not exactly a killer concoction.

Not exactly a killer concoction you say.

According to Lexi-Com, a PDA driven Drug reference (that I use in ER),
Adverse reactions of Promethazine;
Cardiovascular: Bradycardia, nonspecific QT changes (repolarazion of the ventricles)
Central Nervous system: catatonic states, delirium, extrapyramidal symptoms, hallucinations, neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
Hematologic: agranulocytosis, aplastic enemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia.
These are just a few of the adverse reactions.
For sedation of children equal to and greater than 2 years of age, the dose is 0.5 to 1 milligram per kilogram every 6 hours. The MAXIMUM dose for a pediatric patient is 50 milligrams.
In Promethazine-codeine syrup it comes in 6.25 milligrams w/ 10 mg of codeine in JUST 5 cc!!!!! Overdose is less than 4 Tablespoons!!!
This is a pedophile brew that IS dangerous and life threatening when not used under the direction of an MD!
S&F with generous Standing Ovation.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

ever read the label to an advil?

all those side effects are listed there too.

btw 4 tablespoons is bull#. you may be a doctor but i went to a new york high school. kids there should have a diploma for the amount of information they have on pharmaceuticals. a few bottles would be shared by 4 people.

slighlty more then 4tbs each no ods.

not over the counter stuff. prescription stuff.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by Doc Tesla]

[edit on 30-11-2009 by Doc Tesla]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I don't think some of you people are fully aware of what you're talking about.

This was started back in the mid/late 90's in Houston, Texas and made famous by DJ Screw, Lil Flip, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Project Pat and numerous other Houston based rap artists.

We're not talking about over the counter robitussin or nyquil here that can bought from Wal-Mart.

There is a SERIOUS drug lane for full strength pharmaceutical coedine or "Tussin". I-20 in Texas is a major drug lane across the nation and back in 2000, this form of "Tussin" was selling for $1,500-$3,000 a gallon.

DJ Screw was the creator of what's known as "Chopped and Screwed" music. He died in 2000 at the age of 29 from a heart attack that many believe was brought on by his abuse of the very drink that he helped popularize.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Yes, lets warn the kids about it by telling them exactly what it is, how to make it, where to get it, and all its street names! I'll start tomorrow by going down to the elementary school and giving all the kids and cup of it and the address of somebody they can get it from so they know what it looks like(so they don't drink it later) and where to get it(so they don't go there by mistake).

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
what are the dangers of this? i would think that the real problem would be people just using the cough syrup.

its not news that cough syrup gets you high. atleast they are diluting it.

kids will be kids.
Codine is highly addictive, and once you have an addiction, it can be dangerous to just quit. Like, life threateningly dangerous. You have to be weaned off it by a doctor in a step by step program. Not something kids and going to worry about until it's too late.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Where in the hell are kids getting codeine anyways?

I would like to think this drink isnt very prevalent - if it is, its straight up dirty though lol -

But this just goes to show what making things illegal will do in the long run - you get purple krunk

[edit on 30-11-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by paranoiaFTW

Look, I have never done Sizzurp, nor associate with anyone who has. And all the information I found was from my own research! So believe me, if I can find out about it from a rouge search, so can they. So please can we stop the trolling?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Just a heads up here to Doc and others interested... You guys are speaking of the very basic, first level of so called purple drank.

There are various high strength liquid morphine's available, the most common is the liquid Oxycontin. Being dispersed in milliliters it is highly potent form of Oxycontin. It is commonly mixed into purple drinks(along with the codeine and promethazine syrup).

As I believe someone may have mentioned there are people who will make large amounts of this stuff and take it to clubs or parties and sell glasses of it. Obviously, the stronger the product the faster it sells.

Unless you make it, you have no clue whats in it.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
When your life sucks so much because your always fatigued and feel like crap from the food you eat of course your gonna wanna turn to drugs.

If you don't want your kids doing drugs make sure they eat as healthy as possible and i guarantee they will have no interest in this bull#. Take it from someone who regularly smoked pot, once my body was in tune with my health these drugs just made me feel like crap.

The kids who eat the worse food always consume the most drugs, its a sad fact i have noticed time and time again

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
*Yawn*

S&F for you for bringing it to the attention of the suburbanites. But really, Purp has been floating around the hood for damn near a decade in the south...it started in Houston, Texas...can you say chopped and screwed?

As usual it's just now starting to hit a certain demographic and now we have a problem. As usual

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sucks thats its becoming a "kid fad" if its even true but codein itself is pretty weak.
Ive taken it and it does nothing for me at all, not even for its intended purpose, (pain) which is what the script was written for, so I and about 100 million other people currently take hydrocodone for whatever ails me.

life threateningly dangerous. You have to be weaned off it by a doctor in a step by step program. Not something kids and going to worry about until it's too late.

It isnt life threatening to withdrawal from opiates, trust me i know.. it isnt fun but you wont die from it. 2-3 days of feeling like hell and youre done.
It is true that weaning is the most comfortable way to do it but some people believe that it just prolongs it.

[edit on 11/30/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I wanted to say a few things because they have not been mentioned in this thread (I fast read).

1. In the USA Codeine is only in prescription cough syrup. Which means they are probably usually using non-prescription cough syrup to make this 'Purple Drink'.

2. Codeine is a real opiate. Codeine is one of the alkaloids present in Raw Opium.

3. There is another chemical even more worrisome in cough syrup then codeine: DXM. DXM is in non-prescription cough syrup! This is the chemical that makes this 'purple drink' recreational! Not codeine or the alcohol.

Focus on DXM if you want to understand 'Robo-Tripping' and related conspiracy. I can elaborate on this drug if anyone wants to hear (not personal use or anything).

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

That made me laugh really hard and it's the bottom line isn't it...

Where Are kids getting this garbage? lol

I mean no offense in saying this but having grown up in Brooklyn for whatever reason Grape Drink is incredibly popular in the hood and mixing up Codeine and calling it Purple DRank really isn't very cool at all. Just wrong

I'm not a big believer in the effectiveness of the prison system but the guys that pioneered this should be tied to stake a slapped across the face repeatedly for a few hrs

<< 1    3 >>

join