It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Purple Drank' a street drug now marketed to children!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
First off, I would like to say thank you to SkepticOverlord and the forum staff for making both this forum and this thread possible.

There is a serious problem that needs to be promoted and made aware of that is raging in our schools. It goes by the name of 'Purple Drank', 'Urple' Sizzurp and many other street names.

I recently just came across this new 'craze' that I found out was plaguing our schools. If you have never heard of 'Purple Drank' it is a combination of Sprite and Liquid Codeine!

I viewed a YouTube video (not sure if it is suitable for posting) of a father in his late 30's pouring a 8oz glass of purple drank for his 9 year old son. It shows and promotes to the camera the vile of Liquid Codeine in a pharmaceutical like container.

I saw another video of an individual in a shopping mall that poured some 'Lean' in public. What bothers me the most is that behind watching him are children.

From Wikipedia

'Purple drank' is a slang term for a recreational drug popular in the hip-hop community of the southern United States. Its main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine.[1] Cough syrup is typically mixed with ingredients such as Sprite soft drink and pieces of Jolly Rancher candy. The purplish hue of purple drank comes from dyes in the cough syrup. en.wikipedia.org...

Prescription promethazine is becoming easier and easier to obtain. Rappers including the likes of Lil' Wayne and the Three 6 Mafia, are notable users of Purple Drank. Wayne carries a white cup on all occasions, stating it's filled with 'Purps'. Three 6 Mafia released a single titled 'Sippin on some Sizzurp'!

A small time childrens soda named Sizzurp was recently discontinued, though it contained none of the above mentioned substances.

Some of the most prominent side effects can include suppression of breathing (as the promethazine is usually used to manage pain from lung deseases), heart failure and schizophrenia. Due to the high volumes induced, it adds to the risk!

So I plead to ATS members with children OR have children in the family to alert other adults and pleasebe aware of these dangerous acts being carried out.

Scooby Doo...

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

Thank you Scooby Doo! I have a thirteen year old daughter and hell hath no furry if some thug gave her this f-ing stuff. Oh the south gonna rise agian if you know what I mean. I had never heard of this until now, I am so grateful you have informed me of it. I will talk to my daughter about the dangers. Thank you agian. Melissa101

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
what are the dangers of this? i would think that the real problem would be people just using the cough syrup.

its not news that cough syrup gets you high. atleast they are diluting it.

kids will be kids.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Thank you so much for posting this. As a mother of two children, I needed to know about this fad .

Edited because I had forgotten that children visit this site.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by gazerstar]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I have never heard of this purple drank. Thanks for getting the word out. Substances are really screwing many kids up these days. Just look at them. And yes I sound like my dad, and his dad and his dad.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

It's not cough syrup. It is PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE CODEINE!

And second 'kids will be kids', it's that sought of attitude that has raised our youth suicide levels to over 15% in just 3 years. Which the largest percentage of is caused by inexperience recreation drug use!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

From Wikipedia
ts main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine.

containing codeine. not Codeine. if they were taking just the codeine tabs (which btw they are have no doubt about that.) it would be worse.

so they take the diluted codeine and dilute it more with fizzy drinks and you end up with a sugar high with a nice light headed feeling.

not exactly a killer concoction.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Here in New Zealand we have recently banned all 'herbal highs' and bzp based drugs that target young users. Purple drank is sure to be hitting our shores soon, maoris and pacific islanders think (for some reason) that they ARE african american hip hop artisits and are sure to buy up bigtime on purple drank. Hope the government learns of this one BEFORE it comes here.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This mix of the drug and soda has been around for quite awhile from what Ive seen. I live down by Dallas and every other rap song I hear on the radio is all " Sizz Sizz Sippin on sum Sizzurp". I really dont understand why its so popular all the sudden. Sometimes when Im out at the mall or other places, a group of people will be freestylin and they always manage to throw the purple drank in there somewhere. Im not even sure that some of the people I see talking about it even know what it really is. Rap really influences some people to the max without them really even knowing the words true meaning.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
See what happens when idiots like this get an internet connection? showing how to get stoned. yey... bet that will get you FAR in life 'dog'.

total losers.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but I can't understand how you can condone this sought of behavior. You mean to tell me it's fine for kids to run around with a cup full of Sprite topped off with a pharmaceutical Drug?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
I have never heard of this purple drank. Thanks for getting the word out.

Yeah, thanks for telling all the kids how to get high.

It's not like they need more ways, and now they can just visit this thread here to find another one. Wonderful.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

I'm sorry, but I can't understand how you can condone this sought of behavior. You mean to tell me it's fine for kids to run around with a cup full of Sprite topped off with a pharmaceutical Drug?

not condoning it in any way shape or form.

but from my perspective i rather let the little kiddies (i assume most of them are between 13-16) have their sugar high and not crush up tabs and snort them which gives them a much better chance of dieing.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Well when kids in the USA watch 32hrs of TV a week -mostly dude praising the virtues of purple drank -what do you expect? Just another case of parents letting their kids run wild then placing the blame elsewhere..

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Other recreational drugs are much easier to obtain than 'drank'. This thread is made to be an informal document for parents / adults.

Trust me, there are much easier ways for kids to find out about purple drank! Trust me!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
i must say this is nothing new even though we are just now allowed to discuss it here on ats

this has been around for decades

people have been dipping in the cough syrup recreationally since the grannies of old did it 100+ years ago when the snake oil salesmen came into town

as long as there are these drugs, there will be people who use them, and people who abuse them

what needs to be done is education

educate your children, be involved in your children's lives and hope for the best

i would also like to say blaming music, film or any other form of entertainment is just a psychological defense

its projection or something else along those lines

sure music may have some influence, but how would the music be made if the topic wasnt around to make the music about?

my point is lil wayne can do a million sizzurp songs, the 3 6 mafia can dance with cups in their hands all night long, or we can imprison them and censor everything, but it will still always be the same

lil weezy wasnt dancing around on stage 100 years ago with the snake oil salesmen and the grannies still enjoyed their cough medicines

its the same thing today

only today, we have access to more knowledge then granny had, that makes it even more our fault when we let our kids get involved in such things and ruin their lives

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
My boyfriends 15 year old daughter is on facebook taking and posting "which alcohol are you" quizzes and youtube video's about pot. Her mother does nothing about it and my boyfriend can't even get the ex to answer the phone to talk about this behavior. Trust me, most kids of this age group already know about "purple drank" and if they don't posting this video isn't going to make a differance either way. It's the parents, not the drug that is the problem. Some parents just take a vacation mentally when their kids reach a certain age. Drugs will always be around, that's the long and short of it. And there will always be new and creative ways to take said drugs. If the parents want to keep their kids away from that, maybe they should take the time to involve themselves in their childrens lives!!!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
If the parents want to keep their kids away from that, maybe they should take the time to involve themselves in their childrens lives!!!!!

Bull. you can be as much in your kids life as possible. they will still experiment with drugs and alcohol. if not cough syrup, then pot, if not pot then pills. you cant protect them from everything nor should you.

smoking pot in high school is like a rite of passage. everyone has to do it atleast once. just to say you did.

no matter how much of an infulence you are on your kids their friends will still be the bigger one.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

i tend to agree with Doc Tesla here. purple drank doesnt really seem that bad compared to other things. i know a couple people hooked on various painkillers and stuff. Even THAT isnt destroying them the way you might expect. "purple drank" just sounds like one of those things kids will do because it sounds cool. i have to question how much it even affects you and if it's even enough to justify the horrible taste. i dont condone this stuff....but there are so many things that are easier to get than the "drank," stuff sold over the counter that is easy to shoplift. in my area, you cant sell cough syrup to teens under 18 but they can get a dozen dramamine pills.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join