It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it Christian to Vote? I dont Think So....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I often think about this... As a Christian myself I think it is morally wrong to vote for most major parties because they condone things like abortion et al. For myself as a christian, how can i put my x next to any political party???? If I put my x against any of them I am basically giving them a mandate in my name to commit to law the very things that go against my core values and faith

Also as Christians, are not our alliegences "Not of this world?"

Are we "No longer of the world, but in it?"

Therefore being diplomats of G-ds Kingdom, having no right to interfere with "this worlds" political process, just sticking to G-ds "manifesto" of loving on folks?

Your thoughts...

Note to Mods, please feel free to move if in the wrong place

[edit on 053030p://f53Saturday by Selahobed]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
When voting, normally you would vote for the party which is most relevant and best for the region, just because a party might be in favor of a certain religion it is obligatory that YOU vote for them!

But if you feel that condoning abortion is right then go for it!
no one can stop you from voting for the party you want!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Taylor1337

I do not condone abortion, but every party in the UK does, so even with just that one thing (amongst many including the illegal war), how can I vote for any of them?... It would be the same as me saying that these things are ok when in fact they go against everything i believe in..

[edit on 063030p://f12Saturday by Selahobed]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This is an interesting question. I never though of a church or religion as being democratic. It's basically follow these rules or else you burn in hell or die. If the churches had (have?) their way as in the middle ages and other eras in history, I would probably expect it would not be christian to vote or if allowed to, to vote as the churches saw fit. As a christain I guess a person in todays world would vote according to their conscience while following the churches teachings, in affect making it christian to vote in a certain manner.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by The Alfer

You raise an interesting point.. IMO being as the church supposed to be "In the world, but not of it" then the church itself should have no power at all, be it political or otherwise.... If Christ is our "Head", then any hierarchy within the church should be disolved as our leadership does not come from men for "we are all equal" and we are to "call no one on earth your teacher." Yeshua said that we also have no right to judge anyone, so therefore we have no mandate in G-ds eyes to participate in "this worlds" political activity....

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

It's not said that it's wrong to vote in the Bible so this is something that people are just going to have to decide for themselves. I personally don't feel that it's wrong to vote. If it's wrong to vote, then it's wrong to pay taxes because our tax money influences political decision, know what I mean?

I do though think that it's wrong for churches to become ultra-politically active and for Christians to try and force "Christians" into political office, for the reason that you've stated. We're to be in the world, but not of it. When churches/Christians become to politically active, they lose sight of their first love and their purpose on Earth.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
if we'd be to live in a democracy, it would perfectly make sense to vote for the party, which you feel represnted by. this should include every aspect of your ideas and believes. since we live in a demockracy, it almost doesn't make a difference, where you put your X... cos all the parties are basically the same lying bunch of power hungry men and women.

democracy means the rule of people. but do people rule?

with the churches it is almost the same as with the parties. they are institutions, which have nothing much to do with the original idea of communities in fait, that are build of and for the believers. political parties care more abt power than people.

therefore, it doesn't make any sense to vote.

my change.

best,
bertrand

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Yes, paying taxes is that go to the establishment of these acts in law i hate too.. Wouldnt it be good if we could decide where our taxes went? Oh yes we do, we vote, so therefore our taxes become directly proportianal to who we vote for

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by bertand cantat

Cant argue with you, i totally agree

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You are a person. Christ would not want you to blindly follow the ideals of the Church in order to be a follower of Him would He? The Church should be in place to provide fellowship with others of like mindedness not to dictate what is right and what is wrong.

Each Christian (each PERSON) is an individual and is at a different place in their spiritual journey. If you believe that none of the politicians presented to you can represent your views then don't vote for them, but on the other hand, if you believe that one issue is more important than another and a politician holds your view on that issue, then vote for them.

Politicians are people, just as Christians are people. Each person holds a set of beliefs that encompass many beliefs. You will never find another human being that holds the exact same beliefs, to the exact same extent, that you do. Also, do not vote for a politician because they claim to be a Christian - as we all know - actions speak louder than words...

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
You are a person. Christ would not want you to blindly follow the ideals of the Church in order to be a follower of Him would He? The Church should be in place to provide fellowship with others of like mindedness not to dictate what is right and what is wrong.

Each Christian (each PERSON) is an individual and is at a different place in their spiritual journey. If you believe that none of the politicians presented to you can represent your views then don't vote for them, but on the other hand, if you believe that one issue is more important than another and a politician holds your view on that issue, then vote for them.

Politicians are people, just as Christians are people. Each person holds a set of beliefs that encompass many beliefs. You will never find another human being that holds the exact same beliefs, to the exact same extent, that you do. Also, do not vote for a politician because they claim to be a Christian - as we all know - actions speak louder than words...

well spoken!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Is it Christian to Vote?

I don't think that voting itself is a sin because that part of the equation is just an act of rendering unto Caesar, so to speak. You are performing what is, essentially, a civic duty that is just not enforced by the state. The same goes for political candidates since it can be easily said that most all are liars and crooks regardless of party affiliation.

My opinion is that Christ never asked us to separate ourselves from daily existence. He merely offered another path through it.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It would not be wrong for a christian to vote, in fact I would say quite the opposite. You have a responsibility to yourself to help to create a world in which you can be proud of. While political parties seldom encompass all of ones beliefs spiritually or even politically for that matter it is possible for you to reconcile the most important issues to the least in appropriate order. You may not get it exactly the way you want it now but there is always tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Well, you have a tough choice to make. Either you take the time to familiarize yourself with the issues, and support a candidate(s) or party that best fit your ideals, or... you exercise your right not to vote and let others shape the laws and political issues that will ultimately affect you.

Just bear in mind, if you chose not to vote you really have no reason to complain when the government institutes policies and laws that don't necessarily mesh with your personal beliefs.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

This is why we need to change our ideas of what government and government officials are elected to do. They are there to represent us, yes, but they are also there to deal with policy, law, and fiduciary issues. Social issues should be left to the community to deal with. Not to the letter of the law.

I'm on the fence about abortion. But I believe the biggest mistake ever made by the SCOTUS was Roe V. Wade, in which they essentially forced ideology down the throats of over half the country. It should have been, and always should be a state issue. I'd even venture to say County to County.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think to be religious interferes with one's ability to make an objective sound decision about the best direction our country/world should be heading in. i.e. the Christian-Right gave us two terms of Bush... which if the works of which don't kill this country they will most certainly cripple the U.S. for many generations to come.

So in short, if you consider yourself a christian, i say pretty please with sugar on top don't vote. Many thanks in advance, for by removing yourself from the pool of ill-informed citizenship who vote, you are making it easier for those who know better to progress.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by The Blind Eye]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
As someone who has had an abortion and lived (if you could call it that)
to regret it SO BADLY that I would NEVER vote for someone who supported it!
I would find the underdog (RON PAUL) OR anyone else to vote for!
Abortion affects ALL who are near it! (Or support it)

new topics

top topics

join