It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran seizes rights lawyer's Nobel Peace medal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

TEHRAN, Iran – Iranian authorities have confiscated Nobel Peace laureate Shirin Ebadi's medal, the human rights lawyer said Thursday, in a sign of the increasingly drastic steps Tehran is taking against any dissent.

In Norway, where the peace prize is awarded, the government said the confiscation of the gold medal was a shocking first in the history of the 108-year-old prize.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
So to those who defended the action of Iran during the protests claiming we all misunderstood...
I for one would like to hear you talk you way out of this travesty?

Ebadi, the first Muslim woman to be awarded the peace prize and the first female judge in Iran, said she would not be intimidated and that her absence from the country since June did not mean she felt exiled.

"Nobody is able to send me to exile from my home country," she said. "I have received many threatening messages. ... They said they would detain me if I returned, or that they would make the environment unsafe for me wherever I am.

explain to me how what they did to her is an act of a benevolent country?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Who do these Iranians think they are Americans ? we are only allowed to seize peoples property without just cause or compensation we just call it drug related .

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Already posted...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

you and I must think alike... I posted just 6 minutes before your post .... still I think i'll be okay you cite a diffrent source.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

TEHRAN, Iran – Iranian authorities have confiscated Nobel Peace laureate Shirin Ebadi's medal, the human rights lawyer said Thursday, in a sign of the increasingly drastic steps Tehran is taking against any dissent ...

The "evil-Iran-must-be-destroyed-therefore-‘elite’-roleplayer-Ahmadinejad/IranGovt-keep-on-playing-the-bad-guys-while-‘elite’-roleplayer-Obama/US Govt-keep-on-playing-the-good-
guys-until-another-nice-little-war-can-be-planted-to-distract-and-control-the-sheeple-race" theatre play goes on. Nice acting

[edit on 26-11-2009 by DeepSea]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Something tells me the Iranian Government has the good sense to confiscate this medal for coming from a hypocritical institution that awarded Obama a Nobel Peace Prize for conducting 2 wars of attrtion at once.

The Nobel Committee itself has displayed its a meaningless award that is not based on merrits but some kind of perverse internationalists political game and kickback/payoff scheme.

The U.S. Congress likewise should confiscate Obama's Medal and prize money but for some reason the Iranians seem to have more integrity than we and the Swiss combined.

Propaganda, propaganda, propaganda.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
.... The U.S. Congress likewise should confiscate Obama's Medal and prize money but for some reason the Iranians seem to have more integrity than we and the Swiss combined.

Correct. Obama’s should also be seized for the same reason.

By the way there are rumors going around that the Iranian Government was – additionally – enraged by the audactiy to not award a Nobel Prize to Ahmadinejad also. And right they are. That was of course highly unfair by the commitee. If to Barack, why not to Mahmoud? Aren’t they both nice, warmhearted guys? Really.

[edit on 27-11-2009 by DeepSea]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by hiluxxulih
Who do these Iranians think they are Americans ? we are only allowed to seize peoples property without just cause or compensation we just call it drug related .

So the bottom line here is: items were seized from an alleged tax evader in Iran.. wow, obviously the work of crazy people intent on taking over the world.

"Authorities froze the bank accounts of her and her husband and demanded $410,000 in taxes that they claimed were owed on the $1.3 million she was awarded. Ebadi said, however, that such prizes are exempt from tax under Iranian law."

Lets not forget how the US govt treats tax evaders.. by freezing accounts and seizing property... Come to think of it, Iran PD was also following the Seattle / LAPD tactic of mercilessly beating & gassing peaceful protesters.

So, uh.. isn't Iran following the "American way"?.. shouldn't we celebrate that Iran is finally doing some things our way?

Unless Iran is not allowed to enforce their tax laws are are being big bad boogie-men haters.. so unlike the compassionate and fair way US officials deal with alleged tax evaders..eh?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Huh ? reply to post by GovtFlu

top topics

join