It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hindu sacrifice of 250,000 animals begins

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Cheers and protests as thousands of buffalo are decapitated at start of festival in Nepal honouring Hindu goddess Gadhimai

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a8158b95fe4.jpg[/atsimg]

The world's biggest animal sacrifice began in Nepal today with the killing of the first of more than 250,000 animals as part of a Hindu festival in the village of Bariyapur, near the border with India.

The event, which happens every five years, began with the decapitation of thousands of buffalo, killed in honour of Gadhimai, a Hindu goddess of power.

With up to a million worshippers on the roads near the festival grounds, this year's fair seems more popular than ever, despite vocal protests from animals rights groups who have called for it to be banned. "It is the traditional way, " explained 45-year old Manoj Shah, a Nepali driver who has been attending the event since he was six, "If we want anything, and we come here with an offering to the goddess, within five years all our dreams will be fulfilled."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Does anybody think this is right?

What if the animals slaughtered were dogs,elephants or pandas?

Would it still be right?

I have a hard time tolerating people's opinions on the supernatural when it comes to senselessly killing animals - have I got it wrong?

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I find this pretty disgusting, but I don't know much about Hindu religion to understand why they would think it is right to chop of 250,000 animal heads. Anyone care to share? I know the link says it is for Gadhimai, but why?

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
its a different culture who are we to judge?

what about all the turkeys that will be killed tomorrow for our festival?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

"It is the traditional way, " explained 45-year old Manoj Shah, a Nepali driver who has been attending the event since he was six, "If we want anything, and we come here with an offering to the goddess, within five years all our dreams will be fulfilled."

This part disturbs me on so many levels. Not only are the animals being killed as an act of " Tradition ", this guy honestly believes that " all of our " dreams will be fulfilled. That just sounds very wrong to me, the fact that humanity believes that by killing animals as an offering to " A God " will answer all there wishes/prayers.

Didnt we learn anything from the Aztecs/Incas with human sacraficing, meaning Its All Pointless and NO NEED

Im very much with you on this OP, S+F

Be safe and be well.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

I'll judge all I please as I am entitled to do so by birthright. Some cultures suck.

Anyway, I think the turkeys were killed and frozen in advance behind closed doors. You can hardly call that the same thing now, can you?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

are the animals being killed?

yes they are. it doesn't matter how you take a life. what matters is that its gone.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

The cows are sacred and not eaten.
The turkeys here are served with yams, gravy with mashed potatoes, cranberries, and dressing. Very Delicious.

Thank you G_D for allowing us to make friends with other people, who helped us get through those trying times.
:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
If they had a barbecue after with A1 sauce that would make all the difference!!!! A nation full of hypocrites!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

250,000 Animals

The single water-buffalo sacrificed in" Apocalypse Now " left an indelible impression on me .......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frightened calves galloped around in vain as the men, wearing red bandanas and armbands, pursued them and chopped off their heads

link

Not my kind of festival . But i`m sure if i was a native of the village of Bariyapur i`d probably be up to my elbows in blood and chanting "Long live Gadhimai"!

The dead beasts will be sold to companies who will profit from the sale of the meat, bones and hide. Organisers will funnel the proceeds into development of the area, including the temple upkeep

Thats some comfort i suppose.

The sounds of so many distressed animals must be deafening .

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I try not to judge others belief systems but this is just a bloodbath.What kind of God are they worshiping?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
"The dead beasts will be sold to companies who will profit from the sale of the meat, bones and hide. Organisers will funnel the proceeds into development of the area, including the temple upkeep."

^^^ From the article

Well it's not like they're going to leave the animals lying around to rot. Sounds like the meat will be eaten and the bones and hides will be put to use. Appears to me to be not much different than what goes on in a slaughter house, only we're seeing the carnage.

edit

I see Umbra beat me to it.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by bigern]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm just happy to see a religion other then Christianity being bashed for once on ATS.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

reply to post by EnlightenUp

are the animals being killed?

yes they are. it doesn't matter how you take a life. what matters is that its gone.

When I reduce that to its essential property, namely taking a life, I find that it doesn't really matter what sort of life either. It's a matter of one's judgement and a matter of conscience where the lines are drawn. Aim for the minimum you can.

I'll take it to the logical extreme and say that this world sucks, irrespective of culture. At least I'm condemning actions, the actions and reactions, and not people per say.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
The turkeys here are served with yams, gravy with mashed potatoes, cranberries, and dressing. Very Delicious.:lol

Yes, turkeys are eaten as a food-source but it appears these animals are being 'sacrificed' due to some 'superstitious bloodlust'.

"The goddess needs blood - then that person can make his wishes come true."

Chandan Dev Chaudhary - Hindu priest

I thought Hindus were kind to animals - obviously not.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I once saw a chicken with its throat being slit on TV, and all of its blood gushing out. Of course, I still eat meat, but man, I don't envy these butchers at all, as there is just simply no way I would have the heart to do these things myself.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

mmmmmmm yummy.. just the sound of all of that fresh meat is making my mouth water. They aren't wasting the animals they are selling the meat to food producers. I gotta go there in 5 years.. Sounds like a hell of a party.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
mmmmmmm yummy.. just the sound of all of that fresh meat is making my mouth water. They aren't wasting the animals they are selling the meat to food producers.

I gotta go there in 5 years.. Sounds like a hell of a party.

Yes,it seems the Hindus are capitalizing on their rituals and beleifs.

It also says they sacrifice rats - will you be having hot sauce on one of them when you go?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
pig meat is not wasted (nose to tail is eatien) and apparently they are more intelligent than dogs, only difference is they are more tasty..the bulls in spain are slaughtered, jesus ate lamb blaa blaa or should i say baa baa!!

don't eat anything with a face and you'll be fine

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I bet rat meat is scrumtrulescent if properly prepared. I have eaten some pretty crazy stuff from different parts of the world.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I think it's horribly wrong. I don't give a crap about succumbing to it simply out of respect for traditional or cultural differences. That's such a simple and stagnant way of thinking.

It's wrong to kill sentient life in this manner.

Yes, I also extend this to Turkey Day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join