It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXCITING NEW TECH: Programmable Magnets

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This is has to be one of the coolest discoveries of the decade.
Programmable magnets which do not have to have the usual N/S polarity. This is going to change the world of technology

SOURCE = www.popularmechanics.com...

"A startup company in Hunstville, Ala. has revealed an invention that can reconfigure the charges of magnets in never-before-seen patterns, a breakthrough that may lead to new varieties of contact-free attachments and friction-free gears. The company, Correlated Magnetics Research (CMR), creates magnets that, instead of carrying a positive charge on one end and a negative on the other, have complex field patterns that can be used to attract corresponding magnetic fields. When the correlated patterns on two magnets match, they attract and clasp. With a simple turn, the correlation is lost and the two sides can be easily separated. "

Did you catch that part? FRICTION-FREE GEARS!

As always, a S&F are appreciated. This technology deserves front page exposure.

[edit on 11/25/2009 by VonDoomen]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Wow is that interesting! Great find.
This is the kind of thing that will find applications by the truckload in the future, things we aren't even imagining right now.
Thanks!

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is the future of space travel if they get it right.

Attract to the magnetic field of one planet and repel away from the magnetic field of another.

This could be huge.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whattheh

EXCELLENT idea! Had not thought of that. At first glance, it seems like the theory works. However, we will see when/if they try to apply it.

But i agree with both of your sentiments. The potential application of this technology is IMMENSE beyond what we can imagine.

==========================

I would love to hear any potential use for this technology that people can dream up. Lets get a list of this going here.

[edit on 11/25/2009 by VonDoomen]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

Content from external source
Two handheld smart magnets mounted on handles clasp
together tightly, but when they are twisted they come apart.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't this very easily become a "free" energy device?

Imagine two cylinders. Now apply magnetic poles to them in such an orientation that in one position they attract, but when rotated to a certain position they repel.

For that matter...no complex pole arrangement should be needed. Even with exactly what's described in the article, you could simply push the cylinders apart and then rotate them back into the attract position.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I didnt want to be the one say it, because the 2nd law of thermodynamics people will come here and copy and paste a bunch of reasons why it wouldnt work.

But thats what I was trying to point out.

Frictionless gears.

Technically it was impossible for their to be "frictionless" anything, as that would be a free-energy concept. Friction being one of the things that would prevent free energy in some applications. Thats why Wind turbines cease to spin without wind. Because of friction, among other things.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

no complex pole arrangement should be needed.

...but come to think of it, it's not a complex arrangement at all. Simply alternate positive and negative around the cylinder. 15 degrees is positive, 30 degrees is negative, 45 posistive, etc. Simply rotate it and you have a piston.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

because the 2nd law of thermodynamics people will come here
and copy and paste a bunch of reasons why it wouldnt work.

The obvious question would be the energy expenditure in rotating the cylinders. It would be more than only the mass of the magnets; you would need to overcome magnetic attraction too. However, the article does seem to imply that the rotation is easier than simply pulling them apart would be. The question is whether that's solely due to leverage.

With alternating poles...while rotating the cylinders, at the halfway point between poles there would be no pull and no repulsion. From 0 to 7.5 degrees you would be applying energy to overcome attraction. But from 7.5 to 15 degrees the poles would be pulling in concert with the intended direction of rotation. Once it was moving, rotation should tend to continue without a great deal of energy expenditure.

Technically it was impossible for their
to be "frictionless" anything

According to whom? Friction is an exceptional case, not the rule. That's basically what Newton's first law states. Objects naturally resist changes to their momentum. That's what inertia is.

that would be a free-energy concept.

Magnets are free "force." Converting free force into free energy shouldn't be difficult.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Oh I agree, I always thought free energy, if it ever happened it would be done with magnets.

and yes friction isnt an ALWAYS. you just only get frictionless in a VACUMN.
And their are no natural vacumns. Even space isnt a perfect one. although they can make artificial ones I think.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I always thought free energy, if it ever
happened it would be done with magnets.

They seem a good candidate. Again, magnets provide free force. The only thing that's ever stopped us from using them to generate free energy is that we have no way to generate energy without motion being involved. Even something as simple as a magnet attached to the underside of your car demonstrates free force. If you could turn gravity or magnetic attraction "on and off" it would be trivial to create a free energy device. Gravity isn't directional, but magnetism is. So it seems like rotation is the way to get the "on/off" effect.

Upon further thought, though...since the above described pair of rotating cylinders is a piston...that means they'll be moving back and forth. The point at which the attraction is working against you is when the cylinders are closest...and when they're helping you, they're furthest, so the inverse cube of distance of magnetic attraction would generally not be in your favor.

Consequently, the energy cost of the rotation would be far from free. It's possible this whole thing might net zero energy. But I'm not sure. Might be time for theorist to step aside for experimentation. Again, it seems to me like converting free force into free energy really shouldn't be difficult.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Could this possibility help quantum computer processors to keep the right state?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by UsernameCory

Could this possibility help quantum computer
processors to keep the right state?

I'm not sure I understand your question. I am under the impression that given a properly designed algorithm, a quantum circuit is always in the "right" state. For it to be in the "wrong" state simply means that it is being asked to solve a different problem than the one you want it to solve. In any case, I don't see any obvious connection between quantum computers and non-bipolar magnets.

Would you rephrase the question?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Can anyone say monopoles

2nd law is not violated, what makes an electron spin in an atom? Its not perpetual motion.....

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
are quanta's (right word?) always in mutliple states at once?
like both on and off. I thought that was the basic idea behind a quantum computer.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Maybe I'm jumping in a little over my head here, but instead of thinking a piston driven engine with this tech. think Turbine.

Blades on an impeller that have different charges at different points in the rotation in a cylinder with a spacing of attraction. Then apply electromagnetic force to act as a starter and extra rpm. And you have one super efficent motor. That doesn't need gears, because the turbine could also act as a break.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

what your proposing has to do with this video.

how to make a magnetic "wind" turbine

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Mmm, not so much. The demo in the video you linked to wouldn't provide the necessary force in order for something like I just proposed.

What I proposed would be perfect for the technology that is presented in the OP. Although it is sort of the idea, but not exactly because this technology would allow you to have different magnetic charges at different angles on the impeller. So the impeller wouldn't be a N charge and the cylinder wouldn't be a S charge. Instead at 90 degrees on each blade of the propeller would a N charge, then at just for example sakes, at 80 degrees would be a south charge. Of course it would be way complex and sometime to develop.

In all though it wouldn't be "free" energy so to speak, but you could hook a differential up to the shaft on the impeller blade you would go.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

WOW This is great.Gears that dont make contact. Friction is our worst enemy!! I am afriad the government might make this technology disappear. I saw a segment on TV that shaowing a company testing strong magnetc to stop a rotating wheel. Thier Idea was to have magnets instead of brake pads/shoes on trucks /airplanes to slow/stop. It was amazing , i will try to find the footage. Graet post.

Link to article on magnetic brake:www.createthefuturecontest.com...

[edit on 25-11-2009 by toddtenexpa]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
FYI, I live in Huntsville, AL. I'm wondering if I can get some more info for us. Also I saw this perpetual motion machine involving magnets he other day. It has some wonderful animations. Could this new non-polar magnet work for it?

mmmgroup.altervista.org...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
So wait. I havent read the entire article, but doesnt that make something like this crudely drawn piston on a sticky note possible? With the wheels and the ramps allowing the magnet to twist to a repelling position upon a gravity induced fall, and twisting to the opposite position again due to the magnetic repulsion and wheels/ramps at the top?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/48cb95f45d2d.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 26-11-2009 by MyrTheSeeker]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join