It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS terminology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I've done a search for help with this but didn't find anything.

I am looking for some help with terminology that is used on ATS frequently.

I've only been here a little while and I've already caught on to a lot of it. The main thing I'm wondering about right now is what does it mean when someone says.

Second Line

I see that a lot and don't get it. I'm sure I'll bonk my head when someone tells me what it means though.

But it would be helpful to have some kind of guide for frequently used Anagrams and terminology that is used in the forums. If there is such a guide could someone please link it for me?

Thanks in advance!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sagestranger

ATS loves substantive posts. Thus second line is a kind of cop-out. You don't have much to say but you have 2 lines of text!

OP= original poster

S&F = Star and Flag

TPTB = the powers that be

these are the ones that gave me the most trouble.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Thats funny
second line...its from the character limit restricions put into affect a year or so ago, minimal posts will not post, so many use it as a character "filler"

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
One line posts are frowned upon apparently, so alot of people include a second line called...second line to try and bypass this measure. I got told off by the overlord himself once. Better to either keep your mouth shut,write more than one line...or write what you have to say then fill the rest with pointless drivel until it amounts to two lines.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

'fill with drivel'

good point about the unintended consequence of mandating longer posts. i have a legal backround and if there is one thing i've had pounded into me its that 'economy in writing' is never a bad thing.

i hope they eventually change that rule.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That might help out a bit.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
TPTB= The powers that be.

Man, that one had me confused for a bit.

I think the "second line" thing is silly also. If you have ever written a term paper, or a book report, then you essentially have the skills to write more than one line.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Couple of misconceptions.

There's nothing at all wrong with a one line post that adds something to the thread. A single line post can be not only appropriate, but I've actually applauded some. It isn't a literal prohibition on a single line of text.

What we try to avoid are the short posts that add nothing, i.e. "good post", "wrong", "fail", "Good job", "I agree" etc.

Adding "second line" to a post that would violate the spirit of the rule will do nothing to help avoid the dreaded "one line post" warning and associated 20 point penalty.

Reading through the forums, you won't always know what posts received the penalty as there is no "automatic insertion" of a graphic when those posts are actioned. We try as staff to edit in the One Line Post link when those are actioned, but that doesn't happen 100% of the time. A member does receive an auto u2u with a link to the post, though.

Hope that helps.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I think the "second line" thing is silly also. If you have ever written a term paper, or a book report, then you essentially have the skills to write more than one line.

Agreed.

Not to mention that with the very rare exception involving a unique situation, If you have to get creative to lengthen your post to two lines, you should probably re-consider your post in the first place.

The rule makes sense to prevent threads of followers answering a good post with pages of "ditto" or "I agree with ____", but as with all rules...

well, you know

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

There's nothing at all wrong with a one line post that adds something to the thread. A single line post can be not only appropriate, but I've actually applauded some. It isn't a literal prohibition on a single line of text.

Well said!

Second line.

(sorry I just couldn't resist)

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Maybe someone can help me with the terminology used on this thread, I haven't used a dictionary so much in my life...!!

Scarcity Theory

Edit: You beat me to it AlienChaser

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Koka]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Wow thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful and much appreciated!

I usually can figure out most of the abbreviations but the Second Line thing just wasn't kicking in.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Couple of misconceptions.

Thanks for clearing that up there seems to be a bit of confusion.
I try to avoid single line responses but once in a while a single line is a perfect response when on-topic.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienChaser

Some of the greatest quotes in human history have been one liners. The same thing happens either way, a person says whats on their mind then includes the words second line. Or they say what's on their mind and fill up the rest with nonsense just to make sure they don't get an infraction. I don't think the Mods are that strict obviously and judge post by post, all about the content and context i guess. Anyway, to the OP. Just hang around a while. You will understand all the abbreviations in time

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sagestranger

Then you have shortcuts like PTB --- Powers that be

but also :
OOPART ---- out of place artifacts
SHTF --- [Stuff] hits the fan (i cannot be vulgar ATS would punish me, Stuff=Sh.t)
+
NWO --- New world order
BB --- Bilderberg (I read that somewhere)
etc.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
MSM = Main Stream Media

Why is that one not at the top? It's ridiculed enough for you to just know, I guess.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Nematode]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nematode

I don't think I would have known that right away.
Thanks for posting it!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
i'm glad i found this thread, i was scratching my head at TPTB. it makes sense now and am a little upset i couldnt figure that out on my own i even figured out s&f on my own. jeesh, i feel pretty foolish now. thanks all!!!!

top topics

join