It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Remider That God Helps Those Who Help Themselves!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Prayer doesnt hurt during these horrible times we are doomed to live in, in fact, it can be (if you have faith and believe) a very good thing...

But remember, God helps those who help themselves. That means prayer alone isnt going to keep us healthy.

You need to do everything in your power to try to stay germ free...and you all know the drill.

We've had many ways posted here as to how to do it. For starters, please buy some masks, avoid crowded places, if at all possible, etc.

We all care for each other and we want to do the right thing. Self preservation is what our lord wants us to do.

Our lord does not want you sick, the NWO does.

Preserve and protect all your loved ones.

Me.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

But remember, God helps those who help themselves.

What exactly is that supposed to mean?
Where did that phrase come from?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This reminds me of a story I once heard. This man is sitting on his front porch as the water slowly comes up the steps. It has been raining for days and people are leaving the area. A boat comes to take the man to safety. He tells the people to leave saying “ God will save me”. A few days latter the water is up to the second story window. Another boat comes to take the man to safety. He tells them to leave as well saying to them “God will save me”. Now after a few more days the water is up to the roof. A helicopter comes top take the man off the roof and once again he refuses to leave with them yelling at them “God will save me”. Well the man drowns. As he stands before God he asks, “God, why did you not save me?”. God looks down and him and says to him, “I sent two boats and a helicopter for you”

Morel of the story , ‘God helps them who help themselves’ or if you like ‘Not even God can help some people’

Point being that prayer helps but prayer alone gives little if any results.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If people are helping themselves why would they need God to help them? BTW, the phrase is not in the bible or any other religious/spiritual text.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Could i just be paraphrasing some of what the bible tells us?

Lets not argue the bible.

A man was in a terrible flood. The water kept rising and he kept praying for God to save him. The water was getting deeper and deeper and he made it to his rooftop. He saw a boat go by floating, he kept praying. He saw a helicopter going by over head and made no effort to wave them down because certainly God would save him for sure.

He drowned. He got to the pearly gates, and the man asked the lord "God, why didnt you save me"??? I prayed relentlessly and you did no help me" "Why. God"?

God said: Did you see the boat float right by you and you did not attempt to board it? Did you see the helicopter i sent you and you did not do anything nor make any attempt to flag it down???

So you see, there is a message. And its a good one.

And your nose is dirty.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Wow. i just saw what you posted. WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

How did the man help himself? By climbing to higher ground? Yet he held firm to his belief that his god was going to save him and what happened? He was wasted.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Only here can you post something loving, a caring message and have it twisted and bent like a pretzel. I just love this place.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

If that is in response to me it's completely false. I understand you may have good intentions, but if you're going to make the claim that God helps those who helps themselves, and remind us of this, you shouldn't be afraid to answer questions that arise from your claims/statements. Again I ask, if people are helping themselves why would they need God to help them?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Chance and Lady Luck are also helpful to those who help themselves,

remember one cannot win the Power-Ball lottery if you havn't gifted yourself a dollar Play

And 'sneeze' into the crook of your arm, wash your hands frequently...

[edit on 22-11-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Also who goes to work and feeds your family, you do not god. Can god feed the poor of this world without humanitarian help, I doubt it. Its all about what is done for one self, not relying on a power that does not deliver.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
"God helps them that help themselves", is most often attributed to ben Franklin from the poor richard's almanac.

He was a very wise man, and knew that faith was good, but you can't depend on God to do everything. So we control our own destinies.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by Seiko]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Prayer doesnt hurt during these horrible times we are doomed to live in, in fact, it can be (if you have faith and believe) a very good thing...

You have certainly been + to this site lately. Another excellent thread
reminding us all of something that is an absolute truth, and I can definetly
testify to this one. Ecellent . SnF

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I have always been a firm believer in what you have said. Faith without works is dead!!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

You have raised some excellent points in your OP and I can see that you care for people and want to help…

I only wish you had worded the title to this thread…

to…

A Reminder That God Helps Those Who Help Others!

instead...

- JC

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It's an interesting, and often seemingly accurate phrase. Yet, it flies in the face of Christianity, which so few understand. As was stated above, the phrase is often attributed with Ben Franklin, but I'm willing to bet that most people you'd interview on the street would say it comes out of the Bible.

What's unfortunate, though, is that so many people who discover this isn't in the Bible at all, but almost the opposite is, do the exact opposite. They pray but do no action, as the story above illustrates with the dude who drowns in the flood.

The Bible tells us to surrender to God, that God will fight (and win) our battles for us, but it also says to practice wisdom. I think that that is what the important reminder is.

God helps those who rely on Him and surrender to Him, but He also wants us to be practicing wisdom (Proverbs 4:10-13, Proverbs 22:17-18, etc.). He calls Himself Father because (in part) He trains us and teaches us to walk in His ways better.

Take the example DG brings up. God says He will heal, but He also says to practice wisdom. If you don't want to be sick, don't ask for a blood transfusion from someone with AIDS. Unless God says otherwise.

Wait, what?

Someone like John G. Lake, who was called to a special ministry, seems like he practiced no wisdom. When he was young, his family was decimated by illness. He cried out to God, all his life, to be made a healer. Lake, born in 1870, wound up going out to Africa to help combat the plague there as a missionary healer. Many were dying, and very few doctors were willing to go because the chance of infection was nearly 100%.

Yet, Lake spent over a decade helping there. Was that humanly wise? Is putting a gun to your head that you're pretty sure isn't loaded and pulling the trigger wise? Yet, I would say he was wise, because he followed God instead of following the wisdom of man.

There's one story I read, where two English doctors come down to deliver medicines and to see what the plague outbreak's effects have been. When they see Lake, they're amazed he's still alive and ask him how he's survived so long.

He took them to his lab, where he showed them a live culture of plague bacteria in a microscope. He then took a drop of that culture and placed it on his finger, and showed them a slide of that. All the bacteria were dead. When asked how this happened, Lake replied that it was because God had sent him there and God was not going to let some silly disease effect him.

The point being, God helps those. He doesn't always help us in the way we want (Franklin Roosevelt, who, when asked what his political philosophy was by a reporter, responded, "Philosophy? I serve God..." suffered from polio, which many historians believe is what gave him the strength to get America out of a depression and fight a world war... What may have come had he been free from polio?), but He does help us.

Sometimes He changes our hearts. Sometimes He gives us or grows in us the discipline to maintain, say, a germ resistant environment. Sometimes He miraculously steps in, despite all our efforts, and saves us for the Earthly hell we've placed ourselves in.

So practice wisdom, listen to wisdom, but know that God will work all things for the good of those who love Him. (Romans 8:28, emphasis added)

top topics

join