It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researcher says she found text on Shroud of Turin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Here's a news article that came up today...

ROME – A Vatican researcher claims she has found a nearly invisible text on the Shroud of Turin and says the discovery proves the authenticity of the artifact revered as Jesus' burial cloth.

The claim made in a new book by historian Barbara Frale drew immediate skepticism from some scientists, who maintain the shroud is a medieval forgery.

Frale, a researcher at the Vatican archives, says the faint writing emerged through computer analysis of photos of the shroud, which is not normally accessible for study.

it goes on to say the jumble of Greek, Latin and Aramaic includes the words "Jesus Nazarene" and mentions he was sentenced to death. She thinks the text is from an earlier researcher who may have been making notes and the ink simply bled threw the paper'''
Story

[edit on 20-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Interesting but didn't they already prove this was made in the mid 1300's?
I bet its just a claim to sell her book!

Links:
www.cnn.com...
www.livescience.com...
www.physorg.com...

[Edited to add links]

[edit on 20-11-2009 by havok]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Incredible I guess the Church most be so hurting for supporters that now they have to come out with another lie to bring the masses to the collection trays.

The Church just like the corporate media doesn't stop to amazed me.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
personally it sounds to me like a sales tag...
One Jumbo sized Shroud of Turin
Jesus Nazarene signature edition
20% off for Christmas sale...

What it does prove is anything they find has to be questioned as this sample is clearly contaminated

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I love the history channel explanation and historical facts about how the shroud of touring came to be, the Davinci link is the most believable, so actually the Shroud does have a very interesting and very valuable price tag to it, due to the conspiracies surrounding the links.

I really think it was the biggest joke played by Davinci to the Church.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Last I heard, originally the shroud was dated back to the 1300s. Then people looked at the shroud again and noticed that the whole cloth wasn't one piece and the parts that were dated to the 1300s were newer and had to have been added onto the original cloth later, as a repair job of sorts.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Silly. The spelling of the name "Jesus" is an English version of what was Yeshua in Hebrew, Iesous in Greek, and Iesus in Latin. Such an item would not have an English version and be what it claims. The original name is not even pronounced the same at all. Another scam to fool the uneducated whom are too lazy to research their faith.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by havok

Last I heard, originally the shroud was dated back to the 1300s. Then people looked at the shroud again and noticed that the whole cloth wasn't one piece and the parts that were dated to the 1300s were newer and had to have been added onto the original cloth later, as a repair job of sorts.

Nice add! So it was patched in the 1300's? I still don't believe the hype.
How on earth could one very delicate textile survive from approx 33-34 A.D., and nothing else? I don't see any other history of cloths from that time period. Although, I definitely see the importance of anything used on Christs' body.

Daddybare had it right too about the sales tag.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
And the writing says "Jesus woz here go to mass you punks"

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Before I start getting hate mail and death threats from the legions of faithful let me say I don't know if its real or a clever fake... that's not my point... What I am saying is real or not... this artifact has been poorly preserved and mishandled for hundreds of years...
If you choose to believe, more power to you, belief is a wonderful thing...

As for me I choose to think to much alteration has been done to ever claim a definitive answer one way or the other...

For all I know this text is the claim tag from the Chinese dry cleaner who did the repair after it was burned? Yeah they think a candle set fire to the Shroud and why it had to be fixed... just another alteration to add to the "too many"...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is interesting because it is NOT the only story to come out about the shroud of Turin in the last couple of months. Another 'scientist' claims he found that the person was not laying on the shroud to make the impression, but that the person was floating above the shroud!

Well, it could have only been Jesus they say, who else had the power to float?

www.wnd.com...

When I first read that, I thought how strange because the shroud has been proven a fake.. I thought this guy was sleeping during the press conference!

But now, since there is another Shroud story making wild claims, it is clear to me this is a ploy from the Catholic Church.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the scientific community did miss something on the Shroud of Turin; but it's going to take someone a bit more objective than a "Vatican Researcher" with a book to sell to convince me.

My mind is open when it comes to the Shroud of Turin. What Garlaschelli proved was that it COULD be a fake, not that it IS(as some are saying...), and there's a world of difference there for an objective observer.

I'm leaning towards it being a fake; but there's no definitive evidence either way IMO.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by Core90]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Very interesting. Never heard of this, has anyone verified this?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by maxxsee
Very interesting. Never heard of this, has anyone verified this?

Your answer is found in the second line.

The claim made in a new book by historian Barbara Frale drew immediate skepticism from some scientists

It would seem she used her computers to pull up this image of the text from photo's not normally available to researchers... there in lies the problem ...without access to those very same photo's no one else can double check her work... but as others have pointed out that might be the aim, both to sell her book and bring back interest in the Papacy...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

The Bible debunks the Shroud of Turin all by itself. (quotes at end of statement)
Also, only the 'holding church' claims it is Jesus - last time I read about this (a very long time ago/before the last carbon dating) the church refuses to take an official stance on "The Shroud" - possibly because around Friday, October 13, 1307, after capture, the grand inquisitor Imbert, tortured Jaques de Morley in like manner as Jesus to punish him for spitting on the cross and leading The Templars astray. www.bbc.co.uk...
en.wikipedia.org...

Quotes from Bible passage about Jesus' burial. (different Bibles)

New International Version (©1984)
as well as the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head. The cloth was folded up by itself, separate from the linen.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings, but rolled up in a place by itself.

International Standard Version (©2008)
and that the handkerchief that had been on Jesus' head was not lying with the linen cloths but was rolled up in a separate place.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
He also saw the cloth that had been on Jesus' head. It wasn't lying with the strips of linen but was rolled up separately.

King James Bible
And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

American King James Version
And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

American Standard Version
and the napkin, that was upon his head, not lying with the linen cloths, but rolled up in a place by itself.

Bible in Basic English
And the cloth, which had been round his head, not with the linen bands but rolled up in a place by itself.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And the napkin that had been about his head, not lying with the linen cloths, but apart, wrapped up into one place.

Darby Bible Translation
and the handkerchief which was upon his head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded up in a distinct place by itself.

English Revised Version
and the napkin, that was upon his head, not lying with the linen cloths, but rolled up in a place by itself.

Webster's Bible Translation
And the napkin that was about his head, not lying with the linen cloths, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

Weymouth New Testament
and the towel, which had been placed over the face of Jesus, not lying with the cloths, but folded up and put by itself.

World English Bible
and the cloth that had been on his head, not lying with the linen cloths, but rolled up in a place by itself.

Young's Literal Translation
and the napkin that was upon his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but apart, having been folded up, in one place;

Each one says the same thing: There were two pieces and the one around the head was wrapped around the head. So how could it produce a perfect image?

[edit on 20-11-2009 by DaWhiz]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DaWhiz

I think I remember that passage... does make make you wonder why they keep such an air of mystery about it if they knew its a fake?... Maybe... their still trying to figure out how to market mini Shroud's in the gift shop?

top topics

join