It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Takes 21 Days to Form a Habit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Dr Maxwell Maltz, originally a Plastic Surgeon, noticed that it took 21 days for amputees to cease feeling phantom sensations in the amputated limb. From further observations he found it took 21 days to create a new habit... finding that brain circuits produce neuroconnections and neuropathways only if they are bombarded for 21 days in a row. This means that our brain does not accept new data for a change of habit unless it is repeated each day for 21 days (without missing a day).

Interesting website i stumbled upon that helps you start healthy habits.

If anyone signs up (its all free), feel free to list the habits you're attempting to form, in this thread.

I have started going to the gym recently, and have been cutting back on my smoking, so randomly coming across this site right now was quite a coincidence.

Its not easy since I'm in the beginning week, but after reading that if I make it threw 21 days straight, it will become less of a chore to get to the gym, and eventually quit smoking, my motivation is renewed.

21 Days to Form a Habit

So far the habits I'm trying to form are:
1. Make it to the gym.

2. Cut back on daily amount of smoking.

Both mine are quite cliche, but its two things I really need to do.

Mod's: I thought this fit in the psychological portion of this form since its about how a brain forms habits, but you're judgment is better then mine, feel free to move if necessary

[edit on 11/19/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
it salso takes 21 days to completely reset your body clock.

a trick i use alll to often!!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Absolutely fascinating, if legitimate. Thank you for the post.

So an action must be performed repetitively for 21 days straight, then it locks into our habitual behavior patterns.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Thinking over the habits I have developed and lost over the past this seems like it might be good.

I have one for myself: Meditate/do energy work everyday. I'm not good at it but I'm sure as hell not getting any better NOT doing it habitually.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Hey thanks for the link and good luck!

I had quit smoking for 8 months... and I'm about ready to try again.

I also have a bad habit of a daily whore's breakfast... coffee and cig when I wake up.

Nice to know that in 21 days I can possibly replace that habit with O.J. and toast

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Also another lazy smoker here, gym and quitting ciggies sounds great.

I'll be sure to give this a read, might even give an update in a months time as to how I'm going with that.

Certainly no promises.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Wow... seems we have just started "The 21-Day ATS Challenge".

Best way is to start now and don't deviate. How I know? I was an expert... in procrastination!

Sometimes It can help to have an accountability partner if you don't think you have a will that is trained enough.

Some may argue that making goals does not work.

Find what works for you.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by infobrazil]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hmm...I quit for 2 1/2 weeks once....it was tough. Constantly thinking about having a cigarette 24/7 and fighting yourself not to do it stinks.

Which is why I hate taxes on them...why isn't this tax money going exclusively to programs to make me QUIT and nothing else? We all know it's terrible for us...but it's an addiction.

My father did it cold turkey..smoke FIVE packs a day. He told me everytime he'd want a cigarette he'd think of an ashtray...and it would make him change his mind.

I want to quit. It's stupid to keep paying money to use something that is bad for you...and others then tax it with no intention of actually helping you. They just want your money....as everyone else does.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I am sure that this is only physical body, not including chemicals "narcotics", cigs, drugs and such. They are addictive much faster than 21 days, and the addiction lasts longer than 21 days after use is stopped!
It took me about 25 days to get over my amputation, and the worst part of all of it was the iching, its not easy to scratch something you dont have.

But as far as the meds that changed much faster, I was lookin for pain pills before my cigs! Thats how I noticed I was going to have problems, and yes I did, but I got over it in a year or so.

This 21 day thing is not new, Dr. Pavlov sp? a psychologist I studied 25 years ago, used this and so does the gov't.

My term/final exam I used the rest rooms, and put a very low frequency device on the door that sounded/matched the pitch/frequency to the, end of day bell, after 21-24 days the entire school, well a high % of the class members would line up to use the bathroom everytime the, change class bell went off.
In their minds it signaled relief, and it triggered their subcontious, and the line to the rest rooms got rather long.
I got an average score for my thesis, and got reppremanded for the commotion, I had to take them down and make a public appology.

But ty for the reminder, and yes it is true/works!

[edit on 20-11-2009 by Doc Holiday]

new topics

top topics

join