It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did airport slaughter scene get Modern Warfare 2 banned in Russia? OMG!!! Watch this!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
current.com...

I had no idea how serious some of these video games have gotten. That is what you call a massacre.

Man, I know the age-old debate about violence in video games, but don't you guys think this is taking it a step too far?

WOW!!!

I hate to say this, but the game looks kind of fun. However, slaughtering innocent civilians at an airport in a video game in which the graphics are this good... just doesn't seem right. It just doesn't feel right knowing that 10 million Americans will play this game as entertainment.

What do you guys think?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Firstly, it's not banned in Russia.

Second, it's a game, not real life.

Third, in Canada we still have a thing called free speech, feel free to ban it or censor it in America though.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I played it just last night. And OMG im at work today... NOT out slaughtering civilians. People need to get over games because that is exactly what the are GAMES.

Or maybe ive been desensatized since ExciteBike. IDK?

MessOnTheFED!

P.S. The game is very fun and i encourage you to get it. Maybe after a busy day of doing whatever it is you do, you need to slaughter some civilians....
j/k its a GAME!

[edit on 17-11-2009 by MessOnTheFED!]

[edit on 17-11-2009 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

I d ton't think ANYONE has the righto ban a video game, its just silly. As zombie said, its just a game. And game distributors can edit out scenes as they have done before, even after release....however....in this case I don't think it is necessary.

These games are works-of-art! The graphics are amazing, and we should be admiring how our world has evolved digitally.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

After numerous hours of Exitebike Christmas day a long time ago I thought it would be a good idea to make a large jump at the bottom of our drive way. I splintered my shinbone, and I am still waiting for my settlement from Nintendo....

You're right just a game. Get over it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Thats not the point of simulators. It stops you feeling emotions for others hurting. Thats why the military use simulators. They do not use them to kill people, they teach soldiers not to feel anything for the people they are shooting and seeing them as nothing without any pain etc...

So you go and watch the daily show and laugh at people being blown up.

Games do not make people kill people, they teach them not to feel anything towards others who are going through pain and you will not have empathy for them.

Thats why the anti game people go wrong, they tell the wrong way, and try to say that people copy games which they do not mostly, but occasionally they do. Its about conditioning you, and not about training you to kill people.

So you can be a heartless person when you see someone being raped or mugged on the street and say so what.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

Did my OP come across as a person screaming for the boycott of Modern Warfare 2?

All I was saying is that it looked like the most extreme video game I've ever seen.

I wasn't calling for censorship... I was asking the question, doesn't something seem wrong with this?

If nothing is wrong with it in your opinion... then that's cool with me.

I just think it's kind of weird in light of the recent Fort Hood shooting...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Wow what an ignorant line of thought... Video games do not aid in peoples desensitization of "feelings" toward people.. I've played games like this since I was a little kid, and I have never had any ambition to run about killing innocent people for the fun of it. If anything, graphic tv shows about murder and "CSI" type shows are more desensitizing.. Saying Video games push people to murder is like saying simply owning a gun is enough to cause someone to murder. It's retarded, no other word for it.

Question though:

Do you own the game? $50 says you don't.

And quite honestly I would rather learn morals from a video game than the likes of Hillary Clinton (the self professed crusader against violent games) :bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

I d ton't think ANYONE has the righto ban a video game, its just silly. As zombie said, its just a game. And game distributors can edit out scenes as they have done before, even after release....however....in this case I don't think it is necessary.

These games are works-of-art! The graphics are amazing, and we should be admiring how our world has evolved digitally.

The problem as I see it, and yes I see a problem, is where do you draw the line.
I watched the video in the OP and was disgusted, but that's just me.

Where do you draw the line.

I don't want to be admiring how great the graphics are, and how the world has evolved digitally while watching a 9 year old being raped and murdered.

Maybe this would disgust you, maybe not. But I can tell you that there would still be those crying free speech, and the great line, but it's only a game.

Where is that line drawn, or because it's only a game, is anything that anyone can think of, be put into a game, no matter how graphic or disgusting the game is. Yes, you can choose not to buy it. But do you really want your own child going over to Johny's and playing his fathers game?

Then all of a sudden it's the parents fault, and they should take more care to make sure that the game is not accessible to children.

As George Carlin once said, what happened to giving a stick to a child, and just letting them play.

Of course, this is only my opinion, and by the looks of it, not a popular one, but I guess there isn't a problem as it's just a game.

"it's always fun till someone loses an eye" comes to my mind here.

If anyone really wants to have fun and excitement in their lives, come and spend a night in my neighborhood. It's not a game here, it's real life, and I feel that not enough people know what it's really all about.

with respect............

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Seriously? Ive been playing games for a hot minute. Like pong, man. Ive played all types and i really dont kow what to think about your post. I guess i have no heart for my fellow man now?? Or maybe do i have to be in the military to get the good games? I doubt it bro. I have no hate towards anyone. I still get bretty sad when i run over an animal in the street. And i played big game hunter too.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I don't want to be admiring how great the graphics are, and how the world has evolved digitally while watching a 9 year old being raped and murdered.

I am not sure how that comes into the game? Did I miss somthing? Just like the grand theft auto, they never involve children in the games.

The airport mission creates the plot of the game, and that is what's missed when people only watch the video and not take in \ experience the course of the game.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Call of Duty: Modern warfare 2 is showing the harsh realities of war as it can be today.
When you start the game there is an option to take out all offensive stuff, or so i've been told.
Just click that button if you want, click it before your son brings his friends round to play it.

Now i'm gonna go down into liberty city subway and put a sticky bomb on the side of a subway train to see how many peds I can take out, cya.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Your right, it does have the option for you to remove the airport mission and the very start of the game.

LMAO Yeah, who doesn't run around with AK47's in GTA and take out pedestrians. Sometimes I spawn an 'annihilator' and mow down cars etc...lol

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

the game literally gives you the option to pass over such levels when you first put it in your console.

If you choose to play those levels, i fail to see how one has any option to gripe (not that i believe the OP is griping)

I thought the mall level was exciting.

Not that i've fantasized about doing it in real life - but that was the first time that i, personally, have ever played a game that explored such a once-taboo section of gaming.

I love this game.
The wait was oh-so worth it.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have to confess,after I saw the first thread on this about a week ago I went out and bought a ps3 20 mins later and tried to get the game but they were sold out.
Looks like an awesome game.
Some games you have to kill rival soldiers to get to the next level and in some games you have to kill cops to get to the next level.
I see nothing wrong with the outside of the box approach to making this game.

Lots of games are about killing to get to the next level.
Does it really matter to me who I have to kill in a videogame to get to the next level....not for a second.
Its just a game.
Whats the difference between killing a soldier,a cop or a regular citizen??
None...they are all people and killing is killing.This game shouldn't be such a big deal to people unless they want to ban all games.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Games have a rating system, which also will list why it is rated as such.
Don't like the game, don't buy it.
Same things to parents who complain about violence in video games, the ratings are there for a reason, same as to movies.

As for games initiating violence... they do no more so than going to your local martial arts academy and signing up, less so in fact.

A few times I've used games to vent my frustration, and with my temperament, I usually vent it on objects or people.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The scene is pretty graphic. Startling really.

But it shows what people in the world are capable of. I thought the post-nuke Washington DC was just as disturbing.

In my opinion, the Call of Duty games have been rather historically acurate. The Modern Warfare versions just show a rendition of history repeating itself in today's society. Nothing more.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The problem is never the game, or movie, or song.

The problem is the weak minded or ill individuals who cannot discern between it and reality.

In this case it is don't hate the game, hate the player.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The game asks you if you want to skip the level beforehand. Also, it's not like Infinity Ward threw the level in there just for the shock value; it is a crucial plot point in the game.

SPOILER!!

Makarov knew beforehand you were an undercover U.S agent, and he shoots you at the end of the level. The Russian authorities find your body and the U.S is turned into a scapegoat. This is what sets off the massive Russian invasion of the East Coast.

MW2 is just a game, and a great game at that. I enjoyed fighting my way to the roof of the White House, and shooting my way through all those suburban houses.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
The problem is never the game, or movie, or song.

The problem is the weak minded or ill individuals who cannot discern between it and reality.
[edit on 20-11-2009 by fooffstarr]

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

Someone who understands how things work...

look folks if you rape a girl because of playing Grand Theft Auto there is a special word for you...a rapist

Thing is the word applies if you rape a girl and have never played a single game. If you have the evil in your heart something is going to eventually tip you over the line and frankly you shouldn't blame the movie or the video game

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join