It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theres Water on the Moon - What Does this Mean for NASA ETC?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Hi all,

ive been reading the following thread about water being found on the moon with great interest.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I asked the question about what this could mean now for mankind, but got no real response, so I thought it deserved its own thread.

I remember reading years back that water on the Moon could be a huge benefit as we could then build a manned moon base which could be a stopover on the way to Mars.

I would like to get the opinions of all you Space lovers out there as to the significance of this and exactly what direction the Space Agencies will now go from this find?

Will it mean a Manned Moon Base Will be on the Cards?

Basically, i'm no expert on this matter, so when I hear theres water there, it would be good to get some good opinions on exactly what this means for NASA etc and how the future will shape up because of the find.

cheers, G

[edit on 15-11-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I am no big expert on on propulsion engines but with the moons gravity being 1/6 of earths i would imagine that water when properly compressed can be used in internal combustion engines, So to take your theory further
the moon can be used as a staging post for lunar exploration...

Suck squeeze bang blow so to speak....

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Having an ample supply of ice water will certainly help any planned long term manned missions to the moon.

One problem I can see is the location of the ice water, which to our current knowledge is only at the bottom of craters where sunlight does not reach.

Not the ideal place for a moon base where sunlight will be a major necessity.

It's not a huge issue but there is a possibility that to get the water they will need to regularly travel for it, which in turn drives up costs etc.

Just my 2c

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Isn't NASA planning to ditch the ISS on the moon in 2018 or there abouts
Thus giving them a lunar base, Coupled with the rockets being used to find water and all the other equipment left on the moon isn't the moon already being terraformed so to speak

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
"Theres Water on the Moon - What Does this Mean for NASA..."

Funding...lots of it.

Yup, there go more of your tax dollars, up in smoke..literally.

Now I'm all for exploration but let's do it with regard to neccessity eh. There's so much we don't know about our own earth that still lies in wait just ripe for discovery.

Deep sea, caves and little explored regions of the globe still hold answers and solutions to help us better our everyday lives with research and revelation.

Seems to me space exploration is more about funding the technology to do it and to get there and that cost a FORTUNE. And who's to say the same wouldn't happen with the moon regardless of what is found, further, faster, cleverer.

How many deep-deep sea submarines and rovers could be made for the same price as a space probe or toilet?

NASA:
"The moon still holds many secrets but we're going to mars now".

"Terraforming on Mars is to stop as scientists have found a better target".

----------------------------------------------------

Know thyself first

[edit on 15/11/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
One problem I can see is the location of the ice water, which to our current knowledge is only at the bottom of craters where sunlight does not reach.

Not the ideal place for a moon base where sunlight will be a major necessity.

It's not a huge issue but there is a possibility that to get the water they will need to regularly travel for it, which in turn drives up costs etc.

Why not do it the other way round:

Camp in shadow at base of crater where water is and collect solar power via LONG CABLES.

Less worry about radiation to affect crew or equipment and less power required to "pump" the water to another location if they're already adjacent to it.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Grantbeed, your avatar makes my face hurt. Great thread idea :-)

foxhoundone, You say, " that water when properly compressed can be used in internal combustion engines" WHAT!? (I don't understand that) - Here. Check this out. This is what you do with water to make an engine run. (Hydrogen based engine running on water)( better than just compressing water, extracting the hydrogen from it and making it usable/burning as fuel) www.hydrogencarsnow.com...

The ISS is pretty big.. I think if they just ditched it on the Moon it would crash hard and not be of much use afterward. My understanding is that there is tons of solar radiation as well as gamma radiation bombarding the moon. Man couldn't live on the surface for very long without getting a lethal dose. They would either have to put the bases underground or build them in such a way that they are totally enclosed from the Sun ie no windows. But yes, use solar power as well as hydrogen power from the ice and you have a really good means to power your Moon Base. I don't even think they could have a greenhouse - too many particles from solar radiation harmful to plants. I don't think tented glass would screen them out like our atmosphere does.

And if there are already aliens on the Moon what then? They have squatters rights. We would have to learn each others language and work out a treaty.. assuming they even let us make a base on the moon. I'm actually deadly serious. We may think of it as OUR Moon but they may think of it as THEIR Home. In my study of American History the American governments have a habit of taking by force which ever country they desire. I can see no reason why they would change their policy just because the real estate they want happens to be off planet.

But yes, if we can, we should have a base there. Not just a base, but many bases. I think we will find the diversity of the Moon is as great as the diversity of the earth and will teach us more than we can imagine.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I think mankind is drawn to the universe for a reason, We are not alone and i sure as hell don't believe in the Darwin theory, We were created by aliens to explore the universe IMO and we strive to get back to wherever,
We are natural terraform stock,We are tough resilient and intelligent enough to survive, most things thrown at us,

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Thanks for all your replies. It seems, either way, the Space Agencies have a huge task on their hands making use of this find.

Looks like it will be Long,Long term and cost a hell of a lot of money to make something happen.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

We may think of it as OUR Moon but they may think of it as THEIR Home. In my study of American History the American governments have a habit of taking by force which ever country they desire. I can see no reason why they would change their policy just because the real estate they want happens to be off planet.

That reminds me of what Agent Smith says to Neo... about the human species being like a virus. Spreading everywhere, destroying everything.
I am pretty sure there will be a base on the moon... whatever can be done, will be done.
As usual.

top topics

join