It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA on a crusade to debunk 2012 apocalypse myths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
ca.news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The world is not coming to an end on December 21, 2012, the US space agency insisted Monday in a rare campaign to dispel widespread rumors fuelled by the Internet and a new Hollywood movie.
ADVERTISEMENT

Sony Pictures's latest big screen offering "2012" arrives in theaters on Friday, with a 200-million-dollar production about the end of the world supposedly based on myths backed by the Mayan calendar.

The doomsday scenario revolves claims that the end of time will come as an obscure Planet X -- or Nibiru -- heads toward or collides into Earth.

The mysterious planet was supposedly discovered by the Sumerians, according to claims by pseudo-scientists, paranormal activity enthusiasts and Internet theorists.

Some websites accuse NASA of concealing the truth on the wayward planet's existence, but the US space agency denounced such stories as an "Internet hoax."

"There is no factual basis for these claims," NASA said in a question-and-answer posting on its website.

If such a collision were real "astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye," it added. "Obviously, it does not exist."

"Credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012," NASA insisted.

Initial theories set the disaster for May 2003, but when nothing happened the date was moved forward to the winter solstice in 2012 to coincide with the end of a cycle of the ancient Mayan calendar.

But NASA insisted the Mayan calendar in fact does not end on December 21, 2012, as another period begins immediately afterward. And it said there are no planetary alignments on the horizon for the next few decades.

And even if the planets were to line up as some have forecast, the effect on our planet would be "negligible," NASA said.

Among the other theories NASA has set out to debunk are that geomagnetic storms, a pole reversal or unsteadiness in the Earth's crustal plates might befall the planet.

And while comets and asteroids have always hit the Earth, "big hits are very rare," NASA noted. The last major impact was believed to be 65 million years ago, spurring the end of dinosaurs.

"We have already determined that there are no threatening asteroids as large as the one that killed the dinosaurs," the space agency said.

I like how they ignore the Solar Storm claims ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE!~!
As well as the earths orbital shift.

I mean, they're just focusing on planet x and an asteroid. I think even we bunked that here ages ago...

*sigh*

Somethings up???

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Eh, NASA's claims aside, the past few weeks, going on a month or more, have given me an even greater insight into the psyche of the average person.

I mean, it seems as if people who I have known for years and years are just now hearing about this 2012 crap even though I KNOW I have brought it up to them many times in the past.

And now the entire premise of the 2012 whatnot has taken on this immediately disasterous approach due to this movie and some of the people I know are now taking an accusatory tone with me saying that "the mayan elders have spoken on this and they say it is bunk" ... basically implying that I am in disagreement and wanting me to answer for myself.

I want to shout at them: "Hey, asshole, I didn't write the damned movie! I never told you the world was going to end. And furthermore, you weren't even remotely INTERESTED in what I had to say until a blockbuster movie was made about it. Grow up, you damned sheep!"

You know, something to that effect.

All that being said, leading up to 2012 is going to be something else.

Of course TPTB will play it up realizing they have something to hang people by until then... should make for quite a distraction whenever they decide to pull it.

Yeah, we will be in a solar maximum during that time. Apparently the strongest one on record.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm sure that something major will occur, but I don't proclaim what it will be.

This is just my gut.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
In defense of NASA…. Of course they have to go on a debunking campaign, to do otherwise with a 200 million dollar movie scaring the crap out of everyone would be silly, what they are doing is the right thing to do… Not to mention, NASA cannot spend all their time trying to debunk every single 2012 doomsday scenario. The smart thing for them to do is pick the two most outlandish, or highly unlikely… and spend all their time debunking those two, and then by proxy all the other 2012 scenarios are debunked as well. That is smart thinking if you ask me…

However, because this is a conspiracy website…

Its possible NASA could just be ignoring the real possibilities and just focusing on the ones they know for a fact aint gonna happen. So that way we are all nice and calm before we all DIE… ahhhh!

I can guarantee you what I discovered using Stellarium is going to cause some major uproar over the next couple of years. Because when atheists get a hold of those pictures they are going to say… this is proof Jesus Never existed… and when Religious folks learn of this, they might in fact use it as a symbolic birth of Christ or Muhammad… And when the New World Order crowd find out what is going to happen on that date, they are going to say TPTB have to finish their plan before that date. It truly is one spectacular find I discovered and when it spreads across the world I guaran-damn-tee its going to be big news for everyone.

But then again, perhaps NASA will convince everyone Stellarium is wrong… Because the part that has me freaked out is… is it truly an accident that the rebirth happens on 12/12/12 at 4:20 to 5:30 in Mexico, and from 5:30am to 7:20am PST in Oregon and at different times around the world????
BUT ON 12/12/12??? Did they know that was gonna happen on that date way back when they started the Gregorian calendar ? If so…Now that is one hell of a conspiracy… I don’t care who you are… you at least got to admit to that…

--Charles Marcello

[edit on 9-11-2009 by littlebunny]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by littlebunny

When are you going to shed light on this finding?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
reply to post by littlebunny

When are you going to shed light on this finding?

Anyone can do it... just download that program and look to the date I have posted all over this 2012 board...

I have tried to do a screen shot... no luck! I have tried taking pictures of my computer, but my camera doesn't show the whole picture. I'm gonna try something else this weekend... if it works I will upload those pictures... I am trying... because it truly is cool and spooky!

--Charles Marcello

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yeah, we will be in a solar maximum during that time. Apparently the strongest one on record. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

ERRRrrrr Do you not mean solar minimum?? as in mini Ice age?

It adds up to one inescapable conclusion: "We're experiencing a very deep solar minimum," says solar physicist Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center.

"This is the quietest sun we've seen in almost a century," agrees sunspot expert David Hathaway of the Marshall Space Flight Center....

In a way, the calm is exciting, says Pesnell. "For the first time in history, we're getting to see what a deep solar minimum is really like." A fleet of spacecraft including the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), the twin STEREO probes, the five THEMIS probes, Hinode, ACE, Wind, TRACE, AIM, TIMED, Geotail and others are studying the sun and its effects on Earth 24/7 using technology that didn't exist 100 years ago. Their measurements of solar wind, cosmic rays, irradiance and magnetic fields show that solar minimum is much more interesting and profound than anyone expected.

NASA

Hathaway finally gave up and is now predicting a below normal max. Pesnell believes sunspot counts will pick up again soon, "possibly by the end of the year," to be followed by a solar maximum of below-average intensity in 2012 or 2013.

this is the really interesting part

In 2008, the sun set the following records:

A 50-year low in solar wind pressure: Measurements by the Ulysses spacecraft reveal a 20% drop in solar wind pressure since the mid-1990s—the lowest point since such measurements began in the 1960s. The solar wind helps keep galactic cosmic rays out of the inner solar system. With the solar wind flagging, more cosmic rays are permitted to enter, resulting in increased health hazards for astronauts. Weaker solar wind also means fewer geomagnetic storms and auroras on Earth.

A 12-year low in solar "irradiance": Careful measurements by several NASA spacecraft show that the sun's brightness has dropped by 0.02% at visible wavelengths and 6% at extreme UV wavelengths since the solar minimum of 1996. The changes so far are not enough to reverse the course of global warming, but there are some other significant side-effects: Earth's upper atmosphere is heated less by the sun and it is therefore less "puffed up." Satellites in low Earth orbit experience less atmospheric drag, extending their operational lifetimes.

I love the recquisite half hearted blurb on global warming "The changes so far are not enough to reverse the course of global warming"

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
According to some Nasa scientists, the Mayans destroyed their own civilization as well. Either this has potential to be true or Nasa is out to discredit the Mayans.

I personally feel something will happen in 2012. Man-made or natural is the question? Somebody might be intent on fulfilling the prediction.

October 6, 2009: For 1200 years, the Maya dominated Central America. At their peak around 900 A.D., Maya cities teemed with more than 2,000 people per square mile -- comparable to modern Los Angeles County. Even in rural areas the Maya numbered 200 to 400 people per square mile. But suddenly, all was quiet. And the profound silence testified to one of the greatest demographic disasters in human prehistory -- the demise of the once vibrant Maya society.

What happened? Some NASA-funded researchers think they have a pretty good idea.

"They did it to themselves," says veteran archeologist Tom Sever.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Explanation: Regardless of what NASA says...the mayan calander DOES end about that time and just like we do every year at NEW YEARS, most of us are going to have a party even if nothing is going to happen.

2012 is not about something happening TO US...it is about us doing something WITH IT!

Personal Disclosure: My 2012 party is NO MYTH and I would love for NASA to try and PREVENT IT!

P.S. Just because the calander is ending doesn't mean the world is, otherwise the 1st calander to ever be built and that has since expired would of kyboshed everything and this would all be a moot point!

Edited to add a comma between is and otherwise. :shk:

[edit on 10-11-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Ongoing Discussion

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join