It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran charges three detained Americans with espionage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Iran charges three detained Americans with espionage

news.yahoo.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) – Iran has charged three detained U.S. citizens with espionage, the official IRNA news agency quoted a prosecutor as saying on Monday, but Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said there was no evidence to back the charges.

The three, Shane Bauer, 27, Sarah Shourd, 31, and Josh Fattal, 27, were held after they crossed into Iran from northern Iraq at the end of July. Their families said they strayed across the border accidentally. "The three are charged with espionage," Tehran general prosecutor Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi told IRNA. "Investigations continue into the three de
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The media is reporting that they are hikers who crossed the border by mistake, yet Iran is accusing them of espionage. I would like to know if they are really just "hikers" or something worse. Does this remind anyone of the CIA operatives being charged in another country (I think France but I'm not sure). Either way, this is an example of "blowback" by which the U.S. tries to bully countries like Iran and then when Americans get kidnapped they expect Iran to all of a sudden start playing nice. The cynic in me thinks that if the U.S. ignores this they are most likely hikers, but if they put up a big fuss about these people they could be operatives (but the U.S. doesn't negotiate with terrorists, right?) Of course, with the recent shootings at Fort Hood and now this, I'm sure this is as good of a reason as any for a neocon to want to hold sanctions against Iran.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-11-2009 by ancient_wisdom]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I honeestly don't think these are spies. I think these are Americans who did cross the border by accident, hikers if you will. There are idiots in our country whom travel abroad and get themselves into situations like this then expect the American Embassy to bail them out. I say enough. If these 3 wanted to go "hiking" in a country that is technically still in a state of war and skirt along a border of another country that is at odds with America, then by all means. However they should face whatever charges and consequences coming to them. I am sick of these idiots putting themselves into harms way, getting caught and expecting sympathy. Sorry none here.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Seeing these three men "dancing and laughing" on the MSM "while being detained" seemed fishy to me when I saw it. I would assume any young guy being held by Iran would have a more somber presence in such a predicament.

They were partying while being detained...odd.

Now, if I was to picture "spies" trying to appear like "innocent idiot hiker stoners", I could picture them doing just that sort of thing...dancing...singing...etc.

Dunno...I am not saying they are spies...but I have noticed a lot of truth coming out of Iran about media, intent, and plots against them.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn this accusation was also true.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What civilian in their right mind would take a "holiday" to a warzone? Especially with warnings like this.

travel.state.gov...

I wonder how many Americans took vacations to Vietnam in the 1960's?

I'm not trying to say they are American spies, just stating the obvious.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here is why they are not spies, look at the picture of them, do they look like they could blend into Iranian society? #2 If the CIA was REALLY wanting to send in external spies, they would have done so under the cover of darkness and definatley not from the Iraqi border, possibly the Afghan border maybe through Northern Iran. #3 What intel are these 3 possibly providing from inside a detention cell? #4 There are enough dissidents in Iran that DO feed CIA Intel without the need for externals. #5 These 3, If were trying to Infil and were approached by border units would have done damn near everything in thier power to abort up to and including deadly force, and could have been easily swept under the rug as, smugglers, militants, etc. Nope these were idiot American kids.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I still LOL at people saying these 3 are spies. really?

The Iranian Govt is really showing their lack of comon sense on this issue.
Yes, these 3 are stupid for crossing the border, and IMO they did it to themselves.
With that said, I think that Iran is using these people as an example to the rest of the world that they mean buisness.

Iran, let the damn kids go, kick them out of your country, and move along to important matters. If you cant tell the difference between a spy and 3 tourists, then you are in deeper *@*@ than I thought you were.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

Agreed that would be very suspicious, however the slant I was fed from the MSN BBC source two hours ago was that the three were filmed dancing about a day before they were detained.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Maybe the 3 have already completed their mission, getting caught. Now all they need to do is wait as the western media stirs the feces against Iran. Perhaps this is an attempt to thwart the sympathy Iran seems to have garnered in the West, by placing their own people in the position of "victim of an evil regime".

If not then these have to be 3 of the stupidest people on the planet and they deserve whatever happens to them.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Iran just grabs up any American within reach. Its a knee jerk reaction.
Its really a win win for them.

If they are spy's then they have got them, if they are not then they look good for being merciful and releasing them. At the same time they get national publicity. Maybe they expect some kind of ransom?

Who knows what goes on in the minds of mad men..??

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Shouldn't Iran have open borders? Arresting somebody for crossing an imaginary line in the sand? Isn't that absurd? Shouldn't people be allowed to come and go as they please?

Cynicism meter is pegged.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

do you have an open boarder ? can people come and go as they please ?
come on get real.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hikers?
C'mon, no - really? Well if they are genuine hikers they have to be really, really stupid.
Now what shall I do for my adventure break? Looks at map of border areas in worlds worst hot spots....
I mean seriously folks, you can land in trouble even if you keep 'on the right side of the border'.
If they are genuine and get pulled out from this mess, I hope they get the bill. Meanwhile you can't blame Iran for milking it.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by unicorn1]

[edit on 10-11-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tom.farnhill

The majority of people on here seem to think that the US should have open borders. Of course Iran has the right to control theirs.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

Not really.

Much of our country lives in a delusion of entitlement and ignorance.

They won't get a clue until they get lined up to be shot.

Most likely they are well off idiots who never bothered to grow up and live in the progressivist mindset that the only truly dangerous people are American taxpayers.

top topics

join