It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Dichotomy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Main Entry: di·chot·o·my Pronunciation: \dī-ˈkä-tə-mē also də-\ Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural di·chot·o·mies Etymology: Greek dichotomia, from dichotomos Date: 1610 1 : a division into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities ; also : the process or practice of making such a division 2 : the phase of the moon or an inferior planet in which half its disk appears illuminated 3 a : bifurcation; especially : repeated bifurcation (as of a plant's stem) b : a system of branching in which the main axis forks repeatedly into two branches c : branching of an ancestral line into two equal diverging branches 4 : something with seemingly contradictory qualities >>Aka Michelle Lavaughn Robinson Replies: 66 Flags: (10)

Forgotten knowledge of the Maya This thread is an attempt to bring to light one of the mysteries of the Mayan's,I believe is sadly overlooked.The Mayan's seem to have an understanding... flags: 0, replies: 0, views: 0

I can provide more examples but you get my point .What good does it do to rise above the fray if then no one is there to here you?
NOTE;I know my threads aren't great but what I'm referring to is the subject matter.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
your threads may not be intriguing, maybe its just a bad time to post threads, or maybe there are bigger things catching people's attention.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Yeah I understand all that but it seems to be the rule not the exception.People seem more interested in arguing than enlightenment(not that my threads are that illuminating)

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
There is no accounting for taste.

What might seem important to you, might not be important to other people.

Whether or not you are a good writer may or may not have anything to do with it.

Some people just might not like your subject matter.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
User generated

It's not a difficult concept...

I mean really...
How hard is it to understand that a user generated environment is dependant on the users to generate the environment?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I feel your pain.

Most of my threads die very quickly, I guess I don't have the flair for controversy.

I think that's the key, poorly researched, controversial threads win over well researched, mundane (but still interesting) topics.

PS. Not saying my threads are overly well researched but I do try...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
EVOLUTION IS WRONG! PROOF!

RELIGION IS A FALLACY! PROOF!

Swine Flu will kill us all!!!!!!!

I am an alien!

IS My dOg AN aLieN?????

ETC,ETC,ETC

Its wrong to say we here at ATS are not interested in Mainstream Medias BIG, BOLD HEADLINES!

Peace.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What piques ones interest, is anyone's guess.
More often than not, you are going to have to accept that people, are existing in their own "micro-realities".
When someone's views are challenged, they will often fight against the challenger in order to preserve what they believe is their own understanding of their reality.
Some people, despite being on this quest for awareness, are only aware of their own conscious. How easy is it to forget that there are other people in this world besides yourself.

On the other side of the coin, you are posting on the internet.
A veritable cesspool of difference, indifference, idiocy, intolerance, grandstanding and misunderstanding.
You are bound to attract the less conscious among humanity, simply because they are here.

Personally, I do my best to contribute something meaningful.

Have a nice day.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Dude I get where you are coming from You could be the best writer ever and written the best thread ever and get no replies. then you could turn around five minutes later and grab a controlversial political article and get 200 posts. It pays on here to hype up stuff and create controversy. It is just how it is, but I see your point it dont make it right.

Plus, I always love what you write and usually end up starring most of your work.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

Thanks,I appreciate that right back at ya!

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I just want to get a crapload of flags these days, but there's no way in hell I'll ever be able to get as much flags as I have stars.

Probably would help if I didn't make crap threads, but I figured making crap threads is what a lot of people do these days.

I've said this many times before. I've got a higher chance of getting flags on Expert Minesweeper than on this forum. I just need to make a thread claiming I'm a Lemurian from the year 20,000 BC or something and then I'll get more flags than a flagpole.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

I know what you mean
flags 126
stars 772
but I'm not so worried about that,I'm more worried that I'm a boring idiot.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
You're doing far better than most, that's for sure. I haven't been here for that long, but I can tell you're obviously the type of guy that's pretty damn smart and thinks about the things that matters.

Don't be so hard on yourself. The message board just seems to be going through a rough patch with fringe topics being ditched for stupid arguments about left wing hate, right wing hate, chicken wing hate etc.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

Thanks,That means alot and I really appreciate it.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Yes, but what about when someone hijacks your thread, like this?www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

I don't get it.Is that what they mean by hijacking a thread?

[edit on 7-11-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
There is an old phrase - "One mans meat is another mans poison"

Just because people don't flag or star a thread, doesn't mean its not read.

It simply means its not been starred, or flagged.

I read a hell of a lot of stuff on ATS (goes with the territory). I star and flag things I personally think are important, but at the same time I don't star and flag everything. I do pick up a hell of a lot of information though.

ATS is an information exchange, not a personality/popularity contest. If you have the power of your own beliefs and convictions to post, then why should it matter?

[edit on 8/11/09 by neformore]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Speaking for myself, I read a lot of OPs and threads that I don't care to participate in.

And it's not always that I don't find the subject matter compelling in one sense or the next. Sometimes, it's just that I can't think of something to add that hasn't already been said... or something that wouldn't see my post abducted by the ATS deities because of brevity. You know... the verboten one liners thing?

In truth, I have often felt the urge just to add a 'well said!' or bravo!' to an OP but... that kind of thing is just not allowed here. Short of that, I will flag and/or star the effort.

Cheers

[edit on 8-11-2009 by redoubt]

new topics

top topics

join