It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PELOSI: Buy a $15,000 Policy or Go to Jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
For all that want to defend the Pelosi (and Obama) Healthcare Plan, here it is in black and white. Buy health insurance or pay a fine and/or go to jail. But what if you didn't have health insurance because you already couldn't afford it. Reminds me of the "debtors prisons" in the past, where if you couldn't pay a debt, you went to jail where you had no chance then to pay the debt so you just sat there in prison.

article

The JCT letter makes clear that Americans who do not maintain “acceptable health insurance coverage” and who choose not to pay the bill’s new individual mandate tax (generally 2.5% of income), are subject to numerous civil and criminal penalties, including criminal fines of up to $250,000 and imprisonment of up to five years.

In response to the JCT letter, Camp said: “This is the ultimate example of the Democrats’ command-and-control style of governing – buy what we tell you or go to jail.

and

“H.R. 3962 provides that an individual (or a husband and wife in the case of a joint return) who does not, at any time during the taxable year, maintain acceptable health insurance coverage for himself or herself and each of his or her qualifying children is subject to an additional tax.” [page 1]

- - - - - - - - - -

“If the government determines that the taxpayer’s unpaid tax liability results from willful behavior, the following penalties could apply…” [page 2]

See the article for the list of penalties in the bill.

And finally:

According to the Congressional Budget Office the lowest cost family non-group plan under the Speaker’s bill would cost $15,000 in 2016.

There you have it, come up with $15,000 per year for the democrat mandated plan or go to jail.

A bad healthcare reform bill is NOT better than no healthcare reform bill.

[edit on 11/7/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

There you have it, come up with $15,000 per year for the democrat mandated plan or go to jail.

Heck I do not even MAKE $15,000 a year, so warm up a nice cozy jail cell for me Nancy....

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I suppose they forgot to take into account that a nice sized chunk of Americans live on or under the poverty line. So They should have considered the following: Prisons and jails becoming overly full with people because they cannot afford to pay for this retarded bill. So what usually happens every other time in history when a bunch of poor, broke, and pissed off people get packed together in a crowded area?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I don't understand- did Obama promise a Canadian-style health care system where private insurers don't exist (for the majority) but private insurers won out in the end through lobbying and threats and now the entire plan will be taken care by these middlemen instead of the pay going to nurses and doctors directly?

This is not what Obama promised for in the first place, did he?

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

No it isn't.. What Obama had in mind originally I was for. I was for a health care system like Canada or Britain

Now the topic has just mutated into some monster, and the monster is starting to attack the poor.

[edit on 7-11-2009 by Miraj]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Wait, Republicans are complaining about mandatory coverage and how the poor can't afford it while they try to defeat any measure that would help the poor get insurance. I don't think there is a facepalm big enough for that.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by star in a jar

No it isn't.. What Obama had in mind originally I was for.

Obama didn't have anything in mind.

He knew what was coming and lied to you.

That's what politicians do.

Then they steal your wallet and tell you it's for your own good.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
She must be hoping everybody will overlook the 8th and 10th amendments...

Also, didn't the CBO say that much of the funding for Obamacare would come from people and companies paying fines, instead of buying a more expensive policy? Putting them in jail is likened to biting the hand thats feeding them.

It seems more likely that its not the money they want, always print more of that, its the control over us their after. If the money isn't enough of a motivation to buy insurance, then maybe threatening jail is.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Do not worry if you are poor, they will make sure you avoid fines. They love you because you are already where they want you nice and powerless.

It is the middle class they are targeting with this bill and the entire finanacial system. Did these geniuses ever stopped to think that if people cannot pay their mortgages now how many won't be able to pay them after they get taxed another 2.5% of GROSS income.

Plus, just think ahead. You are going to be paying for this healthcare for the next 2-3 years before you even get it. So you get 2 or 3 years of paying for both. Got to love this Healthcare Reform.

I suppose after this passes we will all need food reform, because we won't be able to afford to eat and pay our taxes and other bills at the same time.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Already covered hereAlready covered

mod edit: to remove request for member recognition

[edit on Sat Nov 7 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Congress just passed this.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Oh bloody hell! If this passes in the Senate we are screwed. Our only hope will be to throw all that vote for it out during the next election and start repealing it.

EDIT: are you sure it just passed the House, because I don't see it on any of the news sites?

[edit on 7-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I will have no part of the healthcare plan. I will pay no tax on it. I will resist and defend my Constitutional right to be free.

I will argue my grounds that slavery is against the law. You cannot tax a life, nor demand the obedience of the life of an individual. Forcing someone to do anything without just compensation is slavery. I reject it. If Pelosi and Reed want me to have a healthcare plan and want it mandatory, I should be able to choose what I want and they should compensate me by paying for it, and staying out of my life.

Slavery is against the law...

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

The House just passed Rules for Debate on the Health Care Bill. They will now Debate the Bill for 4 hours... On CSPAN right now

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

Thanks for the update my man. I guess I will go watch so I can drive myself even crazier. Its kind of like waiting for the guy holding you hostage to pull the trigger.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
reply to post by HotSauce

The House just passed Rules for Debate on the Health Care Bill. They will now Debate the Bill for 4 hours... On CSPAN right now

Sorry, seen the vote and had a case of temporary insanity.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join