It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthcare reform ethics question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

So the only reason you work hard is to get health care?

You do it all for the health care?

Get real.

Then maybe you shouldn't assume. This thread is about healthcare and that is what my post was focusing on.

Since I'm a Psychologist and Minister, I have a lot to say about the other topics you bring up, but I choose to focus on the topic of this thread and not go off-topic. Besides, all those other items you described are the benefits of a good job.

That being said, there ARE low-paying jobs that have excellent healthcare benefits but miss out on the additional benefits you spoke of. One of the leading causes of financial problems in this country (until this recent national fiasco) is medical bills.

I've worked in health insurance and heard the out-going answering machine messages of policy holders selling off their personal belongings just to pay for medical bills. I've seen the classified ads in the newspapers. And THAT happened 15 years ago to people WITH health insurance.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Leading rationing board and members have already been appointed,

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
If you had to decide between you personally dying of cancer because you couldn't afford proper treatment for some reason and the country going bankrupt in a few years and Americans will have their freedoms taken away what would you choose?

Personally, I would choose to die so that my kids and future American generations could have a chance not to live in a country that is bankrupt and a victim of hyperinflation.

What is your answer? Remember, there are no wrong answers, this is just theoretical.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by HotSauce]

For cripes sake. Right wing media is pretty damn effective in convincing people of complete and utter nonsense.

For those who apparently have a hard time with reality.

Here it is in cartoon form so just maybe the truth will somehow God willing bur itself into your thick skulls. For crying out loud stop listening to right wing media. It's rotting your brain. I

LEARN.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

Really it is just common sense and having a realistic view of past government performance. It is not beng brainwashed by the right wing media.

Medicare = huge cost overruns and huge unfunded liablilities in the future.

Medicaid = huge cost overruns and huge unfunded liablilities in the future.

Social Securty = huge cost overruns and huge unfunded liablilities in the future.

Truth is that there is probably a 90% chance that universal government run healthcare will become even more expensive than the inurance companies runnng it. Plus, the beautiful things with insurance companies is it is a choice not a law. I thought you liberals loved your choice.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

One more thing. Explain to me how we are going to pay for healthcare for everyone , pay down the deficit, and compete in a global marketplace?

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nivcharah

I've worked in health insurance and heard the out-going answering machine messages of policy holders selling off their personal belongings just to pay for medical bills. I've seen the classified ads in the newspapers. And THAT happened 15 years ago to people WITH health insurance.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

Considering all that, you still don't think we should guarantee a right to healthcare for all citizens?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce

One more thing. Explain to me how we are going to pay for healthcare for everyone , pay down the deficit, and compete in a global marketplace?

Sure.

*If we had a single payer system...

People would still be paying premiums like they do today for private insurance companies. The citizen run insurance company would float on their own premiums like every other privatised insurance company does. Except that our new company is much larger than anyone of the 184 insurance companies out there so the premiums will be much cheaper.

Now that people are covered by the single payer system they can go see their doctor when they get the sniffles instead of when they had no insurance and ended up in the emergency room with pneumonia. That cost of having no health insurance would not be put on the State tax payers and the rising cost of health care services. Because when you can't pay someone else has to.

Here is the best part. Since premiums are much cheaper businesses no longer have to flip the bill for paying half their employees health care. Literally overnight companies would be profitable. When Ford, Microsoft, etc. don't have to pay for health care for their employees they can use the money to buy new equipment and hire more workers. Stocks will go up and their would be a growth in our economy. People would be healthier and be more productive.

That and companies would keep their businesses here or even better move them back because they would have less operating costs.

Moreover you know that Tort reform that Republicans keep railing about, well that costs would come down too. Because if everyone is covered for everything there is no need to sue for such high amounts because the person's care is already covered.

That is why every single westernized nation has had a single payer system for over 40 years now. Because it is the cheapest and most effective. The only losers in this are the health insurance companies.

The public option in the house now needs to be beefed up to allow anyone who wants to join. That is the crux to get this country profitable again and bring down the bloody deficit.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by AllexxisF1]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join