It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive engines used for what??!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
While recently driving south on I-95 in southern Maine, I saw, on what looked like a makeshift rest stop on the side of the three lane highway There was at least 6 or 7 tractor trailer trucks with full sized flat bed trailers and on these trailers, from the back of the truck cab to the end of the trailer sat these huge motors at least 12 feet tall. They were not turbines or jet engines but resembled a huge diesel or internal combustion engines with A drive shaft or transmission... The bizarre part was that the trucks and trailers that were hauling them were an olive gray color with no decals, logos, serial numbers or any identifying features. Also along with the 6 or so trucks toting the engines were 3 smaller trucks hauling dual round tanks on them, possibly fuel tanks or some sort of liquid tight containers.. It is hard to include anymore information as i only had seconds to take in what i could as we passed them.

Any Ideas??

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
well i have three guesses...
1. ship engines
2. train engines
3. something that just looks like an engine but really isnt one

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hayyache

sounds like a boat motor .... their essencialy the same as a car motor, but MASSIVE !!

www.patrix.dk...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Or the engine for a pipeline compressor they look like conventional engines just huge and designed to run on natural gas

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
they could also be engines used for emergency backup generators at hospitals or any place that needs massive power to operate.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

That's a cool story...but it lacks something very important to the member introductions forum...An introduction!!! that's what this forum is for so why don't you tell us a bit about yourself?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'm guessing in Southern Maine near Portland?

Most likely Ship Motors...they have a lot of Shipyards in and around Portland...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ships engines or power plant engines

Some power plants use massive ship type engines for peaking power.

Most likely the power plant unless you live on a route to one of the big shipyards that builds ships for the navy. is this a road to Bath Maine and Bath Iron Works ?????

Most civilian ships are built over seas or repaired overseas.
and very seldom do they replace a engine on a civilian ship as most are just scraped at that time.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I recall an article I saw on the web back in the '90s that spoke of old WW2 era submarine engines - the diesel part - manufactured by Fairbanks-Morse. These surplus engines are so powerful, lean and dynamic that they were still being used to generate power in places with extended outages or, in some cases, generate horsepower for unexplained purposes in various places.

I wish I could remember more.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well my apologizes indeed. My names Bryan, and I was recently turned on to ATS by a video John Leer did about the atmosphere on the moon, this IMMEDIATELY got my attention and ive been hooked ever since. Although an avid reader/"researcher" I just today joined and decided to get involved in the posts and threads. Biggest interests of mine that i hope to find some definative clues towards are.. The illumanti, what the hell is really goin on at Area 51, Advanced weaponry (PLasma, rail guns etc...) and GOVT conspiracies, which covers a broad spectrum of topics from space travel to plagues... Anything the average person has the rights to know..

Hope to get to know some of you and look forward to your insight.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Engines can get very large. The larger the vehicle usually the larger the engine. Here is an example of one of the biggest engines in the world.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

now thats the kind of thing i was looking for a pic of to post ..!!

just mind bogglingly big!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Dam that big!

Hate to push-start that engine

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Locomotive motor (modern trains use the motor to turn a generator, the drive motors are all electric. Almost every diesel train motor will be of this type now)

Ship engines can be truly massive, from big to bigger than a house:

[edit on 3-11-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Hi Hayyache and welcome to the ATS / BTS forums,

The Introduction Forum is for introductions… To tell something about you; not to start a thread about a topic. ATS has a twenty post requirement before a new member can start a thread on the myriad of ATS fora… “Introthreads” that are really “topic threads” will be removed
Please Review, Welcome to ATS, it’s time to introduce yourself

If you have any questions feel free to message me or any staff member anytime, there is a link at the bottom of every post, At this time you are limited to only replying to any threads you wish. Once you have reached 20 posts you will be able to start your own threads, and you will be able to send & receive U2U's (messages) to and from the membership. At present your U2U capability is limited to staff only.

Here are some other links that may answer any questions you may have also.

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Terms and Conditions

Take your time and enjoy.

Thread Closed.
Moderator.

Sauron

[edit on 6/11/2009 by Sauron]

join