This is a translation of the Norwegian article:
"Mysterious light phenomena in Hammerfest
Catelijne Brokke works as a bus driver in Hammerfest, and she tells us that she got out of bed at around four o'clock Sunday morning. As usual she
started the day with a cup of coffee while she was looking out the window. Suddenly she saw a light in the dark sky, first as a spiral which grew
bigger and bigger.
– It was as large as a full moon, and it got bigger and bigger like a sort of explosion. I have never seen anything like it before, she says.
Brokke is also a photographer, and she ran and got her camera to capture the phenomena. She estimates that it lasted between three and four minutes
before it vanished.
– First I was just surprised at what I was. Afterwards I thought that I perhaps could wish for something big, says Brokke.
– And did you wish for something?
– Yes, a boyfriend, perhaps, she says and laughs.
To astrophysicist Knut Jørgen Røed Ødegaard the light phenomena over Hammerfest is quite a challenge.
– In its shape it looks like a comet, but a comet does not behave that way. Comets may well be visible for several minutes, hours, days or perhaps
even months, he says.
He says that the very bright head and the movement looks like a fire ball or big meteor.
– But in that case the tail is straight and does not entangle itself the same way. And it would not be visible long enough for her to have time to
get her camera, he says.
He tells us that at first he thought it might have been light reflections in the clouds, but after studying the photos he can't see anything that
could explain such reflections.
In the end he just has to give up.
– This is a tough one, and I simply do not know what it is.
Røed Ødegaard has become very curious about the phenomena, and wish to hear form other people who perhaps saw the same phonomena over Hammerfest.
– Something like this is always very interesting, because most of the time we are able to explain things quite easily, but not always, he says."
"Catelijne Brokke spotted this mysterious light phenomena over Hammerfest Sunday morning. The photos are taking in the direction of Storevatnet."
(Edit to add photo)
[edit on 1/11/09 by ziggystar60]