It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I would like to discuss the concept of "sheeple"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I know lots of you run around this website putting the blame on all the 'sheeple' that follow blindly and cause the whole entire world to just suck, but is this really a healthy concept? To regard the majority of humanity as not unique, free thinking entities, but rather as an entity that can just be referred to as a whole - 'the sheeple'?

I know we all know at least one or two people who don't think and just buy, buy, buy... but are they really the majority? There is, as far as I know, no study as to what the percentage of 'sheeple' are in 1st world countries, but I can tell you now I know far more people who think for themselves than I do people who are what we would call a 'sheeple'.

The reason I wanted to make this topic is because it is concepts like this, I believe, that drive us farther apart from one another, we classify our own kind as less than us, somehow and inferior because they are not 'awake'. This is going to alienate you and you are basically doing what the Illuminati themselves are doing - going about your affairs secretly, without anyone in the 'sheeple' world knowing the things you know and look up and whatever. But I bet if you shared it and talked about it with your friends, family, acquaintances they would be surprised at how much they were missing... such as subliminal messages, the things they've found on mars - all the topics we find here on ATS

I think our goal should be to unify not to estrange ourselves, don't you?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sacrosanct

I hope that you are right and not the majority are "sheeple". However, when looking the amounts of stars and flags in obviously idiotic threads appearing here on ATS time to time, one cannot but wonder if...

-v

[edit on 31-10-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
When arrogance and conspiracy-paranoia meet the results are staggering. Then anyone who does not join in the unison derangement is labeled "sheeple" or "disinfo agent". Happens every day here.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I actually think you are right. The majority are not 'sheeple.' However, in this world, you must comply with the sheeple mentality or you will be ousted. Group think mentality comes into play in many scenario's in the work environment for instance. If people of influence that hold something over your head that is of benefit to you say one thing, chances are the majority will support that assertion without a confrontation. This is the sheeple mentality I think is the most damaging. Saying nothing about deceptive practices, because a person chooses to be comfortable in their own environment, rather than stand up to what they feel is true.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I've never liked this word. It seems it's a psychology escapism to consider yourself one of the "enlightened". Like you're special in some regards because you know a bit of knowledge that another does not.

When you see someone do something out of ignorance do you try to help educate them? Do you ridicule them? Do you sit back and laugh like some doofus at how silly they are?

If you believe people are misinformed, you should be out there saying it, and not in here. Go out and inform people about things.

The other problem is the difference in multitudes of conspiracy theories. What is considered in one to be educated is quite ignorant of another.

None of us here contain all the knowledge that is needed to even for a second consider ourselves any better off then anyone else. The truth has many levels, and I've not met anyone who knew them all.

We is all sheeple.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Of course using that term drives us apart. We all know how it feels to be labeled a "sheeple" because we all have had it thrown in our face at one time or another. It's a generalization that people can pull out and cast at others with whom they disagree. I despise the word. It shows a lack of creativity and an arrogance (insecurity) that I don't care to associate with.

The use of the word "sheeple" can make one feel superior. In my opinion, people use it for the very purpose of dividing. To pit "us" against "them". I also have a problem with people thinking they are in a group that has "arrived", "awoken" or become "aware".
It's just silly. But some people need it to feel better about themselves.

That's how I see it.

Sky, I was just (again) accused of being paid to post on ATS. Think you guys should start paying me?

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I was just (again) accused of being paid to post on ATS. Think you guys should start paying me?

I actually used to suspect disinfo-agents on ATS, as evidenced by very old threads of mine. The inflationary use of the word to silence disagreement has led me to change my stance on the issue and conclude that there are more idiots around than there are disinfo agents.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
I've never liked this word. It seems it's a psychology escapism to consider yourself one of the "enlightened". Like you're special in some regards because you know a bit of knowledge that another does not.

When you see someone do something out of ignorance do you try to help educate them? Do you ridicule them? Do you sit back and laugh like some doofus at how silly they are?

If you believe people are misinformed, you should be out there saying it, and not in here. Go out and inform people about things.

The other problem is the difference in multitudes of conspiracy theories. What is considered in one to be educated is quite ignorant of another.

None of us here contain all the knowledge that is needed to even for a second consider ourselves any better off then anyone else. The truth has many levels, and I've not met anyone who knew them all.

We is all sheeple.

I actually had an entire tangent that I was going to write but then decided not to about how basically all of us really are sheeple and when people say it just shows how easily influenced YOU really are - because 'sheeple' is not a word that had any usage or meaning before (as far as I'm aware) the 1990's. so using the term 'sheeple' when you're most likely a working stiff like many are - not only ironic but also very telling of your personality.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
In my opinion, the "sheeple" are the people who have completely conformed themselves to the way that the powers that be want them. They believe what they are told, and they spread it. They don't do their own research, they just ask other sheeple for their opinion, and then adopt it as their own if it sounds like other sheeple would agree or approve. Sheeple never say or do things that would be considered outside of society's norms.
The swine flu vaccinations being pushed by the media without actually telling the truth about what vaccinations do is a good example of what I mean. Sheeple just believe, unquestionably, and line up to prove their faith to the powers that be, believing they would never do them any harm.
I have no idea how many people act this way, I have never really thought about what percentage of the population it could be, but I do know people who are like this. I know people so conformed you could never have a good, deep conversation with them. All they talk about is tv, clothes, shoes, boys, make-up, their cell phone, etc. mindless materialistic things. It saddens me. Are they really happy and content, and do they honestly believe that this is the way life should be? Where is their soul?
My theory, is that IF it is true that the flu and the vaccination is just a big depopulation scam, then they will be the first to go.
Then it will be time to act for the rest of the population, who should just lock up anyone with radical ideas, like wearing an identification bracelet that cannot be taken off.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by elocin]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It is a term I refuse to use.

Firstly, it is divisive.
Secondly, it is intended to be bigoted.
Thirdly, it implies superiority.

Fourthly, it projects responsibility onto a group for those things that can truly only be pursued and changed by a dedicated few. If you don't like it, do something about it.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I was just (again) accused of being paid to post on ATS. Think you guys should start paying me?

I actually used to suspect disinfo-agents on ATS, as evidenced by very old threads of mine. The inflationary use of the word to silence disagreement has led me to change my stance on the issue and conclude that there are more idiots around than there are disinfo agents.

If one was a disinfo agent, the best thing to do would be to find a few real good but charismatic wingnuts who are mostly harmless, and just throw your "YEAH THAT MAN!" behind them.

This isn't China. We don't have a plethora of people with excessive amounts of time x education.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a6113662cf8c.jpg[/atsimg]

I couldnt resist adding this picture... its just so funny..

BACK on topic:

i think the term sheeple is for the ones who take the news for what it is, and take their 'WORD' for it. they wouldn't know how to figure out whats real, and or, whats fake out there.

at least individuality is still holding strong. just hope the herd decides to make a move soon, or we are going to be slaves to the wolves.... or in this pictures case, the man and his 'Cronies.'

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
hey that was a pretty funny picture haha made me laugh, anyway.

"It is a term I refuse to use.

Firstly, it is divisive.

Fourthly, it projects responsibility onto a group for those things that can truly only be pursued and changed by a dedicated few. If you don't like it, do something about it."

Well said man.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I see both sides of it. On one hand, I refuse to call another person (on ATS or in real life) a 'sheeple.' It's simply rude. Just because they don't see things as I do or might be 'at that point' yet does not give me the right to label them as such.

On the other hand, I do believe there are many 'sheeple' that make up the majority of humanity. For instance, I really like to keep my eyes on polls to see how others think. This is very typical for what I often see and this specific example comes in just yesterday.

I received an email asking people's opinions about Fox News and NBC. Most would say that Fox is very right leaning and biased in favor of conservatism while most would say NBC is very left leaning and biased in favor of liberalism. The poll asked the reader their opinion and the results were something like this:

48% Believed NBC was fair, balanced, and a great source of news while Fox was not.
48% Believed Fox was fair, balanced, and a great source of news while NBC was not.
2% Believed both NBC and and FOX were at fault for being biased and engaged in a false feud.
2% Undecided.

So things like that, the above being but one example, tell me we have a long way to go. At the same time, it's not my place to judge them. They'll come to understand the way things are in their own time.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
well the word sheeple is basically

sheep + people = sheeple

nuff said

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
It is a term I refuse to use.

Firstly, it is divisive.

Fourthly, it projects responsibility onto a group for those things that can truly only be pursued and changed by a dedicated few. If you don't like it, do something about it.

I disagree with you, I don't think that it implies superiority because I don't believe it is ultimately the "sheeple"'s fault that they are the way that they are. I don't think that because I am open minded I am superior or above anyone else, I just think that there are people who can obviously be defined as such.
And I think there are lots of people who do something about it. Lots of people try to spread awareness and truths. And a lot contradict what the media or governments say.
Like that guy who was handing out papers about the vaccination on the news, and they proceeded to denounce him saying that his papers were printed out from the internet, and they are just "internet myths".
As if anything you find on the internet is just a "myth", no actual truthful information comes from the internet. All that comes from CNN.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antiobamamovement

Really? Whoa. Thanks. I was totally not getting that connection.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Many, most people in fact, make independent minded decisions for themselves.

Most people, the majority in fact, even here on ATS can only and often will only be able to make those decisions based on their own pre-established knowledge of life, the world, and the universe and the sum total of their own unique experiences and perceptions as a guide.

Think of it as vocabulary. Some people are at a loss for words because they know few, some people have a command of the language where words just roll magically off of their tongue and some people have such an extensive vocabulary and way of using such words as to less magically but more manipulatively state and frame things in ways that make their statements seem valuable and authoritative instead of the whole lot of nothing and gibberish it was.

Simply put people can only make their own decisions with the limited tools that they have.

Some people have a very limited number of tools in their shed. If you offer to loan them or give them a new tool
they reject it. This tool does just fine for me they say suspiciously.

A sheeple, is not capable of thinking outside of the box. A sheeple is so committed to what they have decided they know as to dismiss and reject any additional information out of hand without first investigating or contemplating it’s validity.

People are institutionally educated to certain standards that provide limited and incomplete points of reference to make their decisions. Often they are taught false and deliberately false information to accept as the truth to make their decisions.

Call these blinders or fence railings, corrals or pens but the reality is people tend to accept that box and are taught through peer pressure and validation and absolution not to think or look too hard outside of the box.

They make decisions for themselves in the box. What ever the decision is it will always be about staying inside the box.

This is what makes them sheeple. I was fortunate to start peering outside and getting outside the box at an early age.
I discovered many shocking things in short order. So shocking in fact I could well appreciate why most people felt comfortable and safer inside the box. As time went on though things of a shocking nature outside the box became less shocking because life is a far more fluid, interesting, and entertaining, engaging and challenging thing outside the box. Nothing really shocks or frightens me anymore. Par for the course I would say.

Sheeple prefer not to confront what’s outside the box. There decisions are made solely on how to govern themselves within the box. The reality is much of what they will need to survive and enjoy a decent standard of life comes from outside the box. They are hostage to how people outside the box manage the box for them!

Because they don’t know who is outside of the box, and what’s going on outside the box, when times get difficult and uncertain as they are now inside the box, they are stuck looking inside the box for the solutions to their dilemma.

There is no solution to their dilemma because ultimately the box is managed from the outside and not the inside.

I actually understand why some people prefer the box. I understand why some people prefer life outside the box.

Your post is a valid and thoughtful one OP but in my humble opinion it simply is the typical how can we make an unpleasant life inside the box more pleasant in how we view and react to life inside the box and one another.

This might make a more palatable box, but it’s still a box!

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The term was kinda "cute" maybe the first couple of times
seeing it. Now it is like people invent things to say in order
to use the term.

Another one that is overused:
"Move along now...nothing to see here"

top topics

join