It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimpanzees' grief caught on camera in Cameroon

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

I don't know if this famous story has been mentioned on this site before, but I think it's certainly not off topic.

Hachiko, the faithful dog

And apparently Richard Gere is now going to make a film about him!

Gere "cried like a baby" over faithful dog script

Go Richard!

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
At a time when many humans can't feel even basic emotions like empathy, it is reassuring to know at least one group of animals can share pain.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

Kanzi's sister can be seen driving a golf cart in the video at this link at about 07:07.

www.ted.com...

[edit on 2009/10/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

No, no: again, this is Pembenisha, his feisty sister.

THANK YOU for posting it!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ethereal Gargoyle
reply to post by calstorm

You have no idea how sorry I am to hear that.... Believe me, you have all my sympathy!

What I meant was as grief-stricken some people are over their pet's demise, you rarely hear about them *dying* over it. Or even over their friends' demise.
Very often people just don't fell very "deeply".... which is why I find it almost offensive for people to go and "research" animals' feelings, and then even act surprised to find they have feelings.... Wow: they have feelings!

Its ok I see what you mean now. I shouldn't have taken offense to it, sometimes I just can't help it. And your right, if I was to lose my cat, as much as I adore her, it wouldn't be the same, at least I know in time I would get get over it.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Thank you very much for the correction. I haven't actually studied Kanzi, or his sister. It was my mom who introduced me to them, when she was in school a few years ago. Did you know Kanzi has an official Facebook page? "He" updates and everything!

Thank you for posting that!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by riddle6
Did you know Kanzi has an official Facebook page? "He" updates and everything!

No? Really?

But why should that even surprise me?

And, you know, when they say "he" updates it, I am sure HE does!

Thanks for telling me.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hate to bring down the tone of such a "warm,fuzzy" topic,but if you haven't heard,the Radical Environmentalists think our pets are bad for the environment!

www.firstthings.com...

I wondered what the N.W.O.s idea of pets would be. Now I know.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Whoa... I am so sorry, Calstorm.
That has got to be the greatest pain there is.
You're a hero just for surviving that, certainly in my book.

Regarding what you said about the cat, don't forget to read about Hachiko, the famous Japanese dog (see my post above). I think you might like it.

(I am calling attention to it simply because this thread is growing so fast and I am afraid many people will miss that story - and it really is worth reading.)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
A few days ago i was at the driving range, and there were about 50 geese out there eating grass. I accidently topped a 3 wood shot and killed one of them. All the geese gathered round him in a circle and mourned him for about ten minutes (pretty sad actually).

Its funny that some people are so disconnected from nature. That they belive animals are just mindless drones, unable to process thoughts such as emotion.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Man, that was an amazing video.
The Bonobo playing PacMan is incredible!

These people are just as capable as you or I. They just need a little guidance.

Que "God"... In this case, the woman who is teaching these Bonobos these things.

In 100 years will there be a Bonobo calling this Dr. The Supreme Diety? Perhaps so.

Good stuff.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This picture reminds me of a couple others. One was of Koko the gorilla, who had a little kitten she named All Ball. Koko could communicate with people using sign language. She loved that kitten, played with it, kept it as a pet. There was a great picture of this huge gorilla holding this tiny little kitten in her massive hands. The kitten was completely relaxed, so you know that Koko wasn't hurting her, even though she was incredibly powerful.

Another great image was of a female gorilla in a zoo, cradling a human child who had fallen into the gorilla pit and was knocked unconscious. She cradled him in her lap, which was a cue to the other gorillas not to bother the kid. She kept him until zoo workers could get in there and get the kid out. Somehow she knew this kid was in danger, and did what was necessary to protect him.

It is obvious that animals have feelings. They certainly show fear and anger, for example. The ones I live with also show affection and friendliness, pleasure, annoyance, etc. And these are cats, not well known for their affection.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Having just lost one of my cats I can assure you that cats do grieve. When she got sick each of them sat beside her for some time, one for a few minutes another an hour and the last one sat by her bed all night. When I took her to the hospital and came home without her they were all looking at me strangely. The next day when I made the decision to let her go it was like they knew why I was crying. They were all very sad and clung to me for almost an entire week, especially her partner. Anyone that has a pet doesn't need any scientist or theologian to tell them that animals have feelings.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

You guys are making me cry, especially the cat stories...hits me hardest.

Dog lover too, so don't go piling on me, you dog people!

Those who don't like cats have just not spent the time needed to understand them.....

And as to our cousins, the primates....well, should be obvious to anyone that, despite being motivated mostly by instinct and lower brain functions, they still have, even lower at their core, the same emotional abilities we do. They express, usually, without reservation or shame.

One thing I love to watch, in a cat, is when they're embarassed. You cat people know what I mean....

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

I remember Koko and Allball. I know the picture you mean, it was on the cover of the NG magazine, in the 1980s (1985, I think). I still have it.

And do you remember, when Allball was killed, the gorilla grieved for six months. And people from all over the world sent in offers of new kittens, but she just wasn't interested.... Nobody could "replace" Allball.

And I have also heard about Hachiko the dog. At first I thought it was surely exaggerated or misunderstood. But then I read all I could about it, and no, if anything, the story was "watered" down.
BTW, good for Gere!

I think there was also a famous faithful dog in Scotland.... Bobby, was it?
He has a statue erected somehwere.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
people who think animals don't mourn, don't think, and are on completely separate terms than us humans are so beyond me. We share this planet with a whole mess of non human, thinking, feeling, beings... We're the bad guys when you think of all the destruction we cause ourselves, this planet, and the ones we share her with.

anyway...
Nice pic. Reminds me of the hippos on "Planet Earth" that mourned the death of their leader... even giving him a funeral... really beautiful, really sad, very enlightening.
My heart goes out to those chimps, and everything/everyone else.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
what a bummer but this is no surprise elephants andwhales and various other mammels

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
All animals have feelings and emotions, this shouldn't "wow" the masses. Especially if it's chimps.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Thanks for posting

I am touched by the report but not surprised as I have always thought that animals have emotion and understand death and can be effected by a lose .

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Bless their pea picken little hearts. That is a heart felt image, those little Chimps paying respect to their friend. I too believe animals have feelings, being around animals most of my life it is easy to see their reactions and their emotions. I do not believe we are related to them but I do believe they have emotions. Animals are very emotional I have seen them get mad, enviouse, grieve, experience joy and yes even cry. Most animals are sweet and have tender hearts in my opinion, that is not to say they won't make you dinner or protect themselves I believe survival often trumps tender. I am rambling now so I'll sign off.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join